“Bring your own soap and shampoo!” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Americas Best Value Inn - Columbus / North

Americas Best Value Inn - Columbus / North
Ranked #127 of 143 Hotels in Columbus
Oak City, North Carolina
“Bring your own soap and shampoo!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2011

Although we heard the train that runs next to the property, we did not hear it in our room during the night. Make sure to bring your own soap and shampoo. The soap provided was approx. 1 1/2 by 2 inches and would be difficult to use for anything other than washing your hands. No shampoo was provided, which we expected for the price of the room. The TV would not work with the remote. A second remote was obtained from the front desk, but it did not work either. We've stayed at better properties for the price paid.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
      Location
      Rooms
1 Thank DennisM579

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Columbus, Ohio
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2011

This motel is a very dirty and the towells are dirty, floor and rug stinks like mold and dog.Lamps dont work either
I stayed there in the summer one time and the air conditioner wasnt working barely working and the whole front of it was gone.God forbid if you look under the mattress you might have a heart attack
This motel used to be ok but it is very run down and dirty
I would not recommend it to anyone!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
      Location
      Rooms
2 Thank Larry M
Cincinnati, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2011

We stayed here, and while it's not a Hilton, it's excellent for the price. Rooms and bathroom were clean, there was a functional television and the front desk people were friendly. Its conveniently located by the highway. I highly recommend it -- I don't know what the reviewers before were complaining about!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
WEST MILTON,OH
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2011

The room had a bad smell & the carpet was wet. There were never enough towels.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank NANCY M
Old Bridge, New Jersey
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2011

I am not much for using valuable time on reviews but on behalf of my fellow man this nightmare 'Hotel' deserves setting aside time just so that others are warned away:
1) Arrived with my daughter and thought the place was closed as no cars were in the lot.
2) A 'person' was hanging out by the front door and my first impression was that he seemed like he was a 'lookout'. I figured just my imagination.
3) Car pulled up and my daughter, already frightened by the look of the place said she saw a drug transaction take place with the 'lookout'.
4) Entered the office and the stench of smoke was strong. It was dirty and smokey and grungy.
5) Noticed signs that said 'WIFI not working' and 'pool temporarily closed'. Should have left right then and there. The place was obviously a dump.
6) Commented to desk clerk about the lack of cars in the lot. He said the place was half full and that they were located in the next building over. I figured it would be full of cars and that when I got there and I would feel some 'comfort'. No cars were there.
7) Pulled up to room. The guy who was acting like a 'lookout' magically shows up on foot and stands in a nearby corrider and just stares at us suspiciously. The car that did the drug transaction pulls up 2 spaces away from us. The room next to our's door opens and 2 strung out people peer out and just stare at us. The drug transaction folks enter that room. A girl comes around the corner looking quite strung out and cussing up a storm. She enters the same room. Before the door closes I see what looks like strung out hooker sitting on the bed. I notice there are lots of people in neighboring rooms too but no cars. I immediately think "Is this a Welfare Hotel"?
8) Stupidly and reluctantly, we empty the car of all valuables and go in our room. It smells of smoke and other foul odors. It is just run down and nasty. We sit on the edge of the bed to discuss whether we should leave (yeah it took this long to decide, what was I thinking). We realize that under the sheets on the bed are some weird noisy thick plastic sheets. Just then a pickup backs in to the spot directly in front of our window and just sits there looking in his mirror at us looking at him. Finally I came to my senses and we decided to leave. We rushed everything into the car and drove back to the office.
9) I tell the guy cancel the reservation because the place is a drug haven and unsafe and everyhthing else we observed. He says ok but he cannot credit me until later.
10) I ask him if this is a welfare hotel and he says " I already told you I will refund you so why do you have to go there". I commented "because it was not advertised as such".
11) I left the place with a note from the clerk saying I would be refunded. Not trusting him I immediately called my bank to cancel the transaction and went to the best safest hotel we could find to calm my daughters nerves.
12) I am from the Bronx, NY and not easily scared off. This place is very disturbing and if you stay there you are taking your life in your hands. IT SHOULD BE SHUT DOWN TO THE PUBLIC.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank William K
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2011

Here's a recent e-mail that I wrote to their customer service. DO NOT STAY IN THIS HOTEL. IT IS ABSOLUTELY 100% DISGUSTING.

I recently had booked a room in the "Americas Best Value Inn Columbus - North" location. When we arrived to the hotel, the outside of the building was in very poor condition and there was a police car stationed outside the building. We proceeded to get our room keys, thinking that the outside of the building may not be the best indication of the quality of the inn.

We went in the main office, to come across a "back in 10 minutes" sign. I've never seen a sign like this in a hotel, and I thought it was very unprofessional.

After several minutes, we were able to talk to a clerk. I told him my name and the type of reservation I had made (king bed/non-smoking). He told me I'd have to take a double bed room instead. He claimed how this was an "upgrade" for me. I inquired about this, since a king bed is clearly bigger than a double bed. He told me that there would be TWO double beds in the room, which has 4 person capacity. I was traveling with one other person, and this was by no means an "upgrade" for us. The clerk was very forceful and rude about this, and I felt his comments were misleading. He also refused to give me a lower rate even though he was not going to provide me with the type of room that I had reserved online.

He kept talking down to me and told me that he wanted me to go see the room before accepting it because he didn't want to "deal with me" if we didn't like the room. Well, it turns out that looking at the room first would've actually been a good idea.

We went to the room and noticed the following (these are just some examples):
1) Cigarette burns through the quilt and sheets on one bed
2) Cigarette ashes on the toilet seat
3) no lampshade on a lamp in the room
4) A strange white substance on the carpeting (I don't even want to know what this was)
5) The smoke detector was barely attached to the ceiling. There was a wire exposed from it, which also seemed to be attaching it to the ceiling

Let me again note that I had reserved a king-size bed and a NON-SMOKING room. Clearly this room was not what I requested, and on top of that, it was in EXTREMELY POOR CONDITION and VERY DIRTY AND UNSANITARY. I wouldn't even expect a prisoner to stay in a room like this. I have some photo documentation if you'd like to see it.

We did end up getting our money refunded in the end, but I really think you should consider further action against this hotel. After this utterly horrible experience, I wouldn't even consider staying in one of your hotels again. By the way, it's also very disheartening that your customer service is not available 24/7. We were in a very hostile situation at that hotel, and it was very uncomfortable to have to go back to that clerk to get our money refunded, since he was very rude and unprofessional to us from the start.

I can only imagine that this location is turning off many others from your company as a whole. While your company may have nicer hotels to offer, I most likely will never take a chance with you again. You may want to contact this hotel so that they do not damage your company's name any further. I plan to share this information with everyone I know, to spare them the same awful experience that I had.

Room Tip: Not possible at this hotel
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank eganita
Cincinnati, Ohio
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2011

Negatives: When we arrived, we immediately found two roaches in the bathroom. There was a hole in the wall over one of the beds, a lamp was missing a lightbulb, the supposedly non-smoking room reeked of stale cigarettes, and the worn-out mattresses swayed in the middle like hammocks. The internet didn't reach our room on the second floor, and there were active train tracks less than fifty yards from the end of our building. Passing trains were thunderously loud. A sign in the lobby announced that--due to technical difficulites--the t.v. would not deliver ABC. The sign had obviously been produced by a computer printer and appeared to have been there for quite some time. The shower in the room delivered only a dribbling stream of water no matter how you adjusted it. Both the exterior and interior of the facility were run-down and shabby. I was part of a family party in five rooms, and everyone had similar complaints. All moved to another hotel as soon as possible.
Positives: Only one of the roaches was alive, and the manager did not charge us for the nights we decided not to stay.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank TomSimon53
abvinorth, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn - Columbus / North, responded to this review, June 9, 2011
Thanks for taking the time to leave us your comments and we are very sorry to hear that you were not satisfied with your stay. There is no excuse for the issues that you encountered and we assure you that we have shared your comments with our staff and they have been corrected.