“Bad Attitude”
Review of Varsity Inn

Varsity Inn
Ranked #108 of 145 Hotels in Columbus
Reviewed May 31, 2010

I called to make reservations at Varsity Inn South. The young man taking reservations was not speaking directly into the phone and was hard to hear. There was some confusion about the north and south location. After finally getting the man to speak into the phone, I gave my credit card information to make the reservation. He garbled the confirmation number which I asked him to repea several times. I still wasn't sure of the number so I called back later. Sure enough, no reservation even existed for me. So I had to make the reservation again with someone more pleasant this time. I've stayed at this location several times before. Not the best accommodations for sure but is close to OSU campus.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled solo

Reviewed February 26, 2010

After reading the reviews for this hotel I must admit I was nervous to stay here. But considering I didn't have a choice in the hotel (business trip) and it was already booked, I went ahead with the stay. Well, my worst fears weren't realized. It's a no frills hotel. I think if you go in knowing the "negatives" then it should be fine.

All rooms are outdoor entry.
There's only an outdoor pool.
A train runs behind the rooms. I personally didn't feel this was a problem, but some may.
There are joining rooms and sometimes you can hear your neighbor more than you'd like.
Some of the bedding/linens are dated.
No continental breakfast.

However,
Free Wi-Fi is available.
Fridge and microwave in the room.
Bowed shower curtain for more room in the shower.
Wendys, Tim Hortons, And Bob Evans right next door.
Shopping center with Petco, Target, Barnes and Noble, restaurants, etc. 1 block away.
Easy access (within 5 minutes) to OSU campus and downtown.
Provided in room coffee make w/ coffee.
In room hairdryer.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed December 9, 2009

Stayed because family member having surgery at hospital next door. Toilet was clogged, bed had cracker crumbs in it, etc. After complaining of these things, they still weren't fixed after two days!! Then they had an attitude of "you used our services so you owe us"! Please don't stay here or you will regret it!

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed August 14, 2009

Crawling with cockroaches, next to train tracks, woken up several times a night by freight trains

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed June 30, 2009

the hotel was Great i was there in town for special olympics the room was clean the tv worked the beds were comfertble the great thing was they had a sonic in front of the hotel my coach didnt like the hotel my other coach saw a cockroach. To me the hotel wasnt to bad. the main thing they had wake up calls but no contenatal breakfast i thank to save money the hotel up in michigan was worser it was called the tecumseh inn oh my goodness it needed fixing thank you

• Stayed: June 2009
Reviewed August 21, 2008

My family stayed at the Varsity for a wedding. My wife and I found our room adequate and enjoyed having a refrigerator in the room and using their pool. My daughter changed rooms, because the first one was small and smelled. In general the rooms were adequate for an inexpensive hotel and the beds were fine.

When we checked out we were charged different rates for the same room, and the desk clerks could do nothing since it was a weekend. The problem was resolved the next day by the manager. In generally , I would say their systems were a little screwy, for another member of party was charged for a room even though she stayed in my daughter's room.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
Reviewed September 18, 2007

We've stayed here before and it was a good experience... but we were stupid this time ~ each night, a new room and it was terrible. If u can search other facilities do it. Rooms look ok, but for the money I would of gone elsewhere if we had the time to search.

First night in King size bed, a/c did not work. Stale odor. No wash cloths, the sink was stopped up, and the bathroom light in the commode area didn't work. If u stay in main building u have better chance of half way decent room. I honestly believe clerk took my DH asking for a ground floor room as a insult. And gave us the room from Hatti's... But he has hip and knee problems (climbing stair is tough on joints). Staff did nothing and had lots of places to move too.

Second night- King size bed. It was late and we just went back cause we knew how to get there. Had to climb (Main Building) the refrigerator didn't work of which we paid for. The shower/tub was stopped up and the same light problem.

On all 3 nights the staff did nothing to help! No adjustment, NOTHING. Bob Evans food was delicious and Wendy's great for late night snack too which help when your exhusted!

We were moving our DD into a duplex house, 3rd floor! I had left my travel folder with hotels driving directions at home. It was very late, we wanted a bed to sleep and we were pulling a trailer. Plus they were next door to Bob Evans restaurant which is our DD favorite. So for parking & convience, lacking of knowing roads and manuevering around many one ways we stayed.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple