“Good Stay”
Review of Varsity Inn

Varsity Inn
Ranked #108 of 145 Hotels in Columbus
Reviewed December 22, 2013

Everything worked great in the room. Fast internet; cable television channels. Beside Bob Evans. Staff was exceptional and professional. The parking was easy and close to the room. And when I arrived to the room was greeted with a warm room as the heat had been turned on in plenty of time to heat the room. Nice. Check In and Check Out were quick and easy.

Room Tip: Went for Very Good for location with regard to the restaurant beside the hotel. It was actually an...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed December 17, 2013

We have used Varsity Inn South for 7 years for our Holiday Accommodations for our Company Christmas Party. Everyone was very friendly and helpful. Kyle was great! He setup all the rooms for us, I submitted a name list and when our guest arrived they were all set! The rooms were wonderful! They were very clean and welcoming. The beds are very comfortable. We will definitely be back!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed November 4, 2013

Jeffrey Lockshaw made this experience for my husband's surgery at OSU a much more pleasant one. Thanks to Jeff, we wll always stay at Varsity Inn when we are in Columbus. He was incredibly kind and helped us escape a bill double what we paid after online poor advice and stay in these clean, comfortable accommodations with less sress.

Room Tip: Rooms are clean with luxurious bedding but not real roomy for a long stay. No breakfast, but always...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 9, 2013

I reserved a room 2 days ago at this hotel for Quarter Horse Congress. My horse was injured and I called the hotel to cancel. They could not find my reservation at all. I had a ref. number and they told me I would have to call Travel now.com. I called and they had the reservation. Travel Now called the hotel explaining the cancellation and asking to wave the cancellation fee. The hotel manager refused. Travel Now had me call and speak with the manager. I was told it is a BUSINESS to make money and I could be lying about the emergency to get them to wave the fee. I offered to send them All correspondence and information between the vet and myself, to prove my emergency. Manager was not pleasant to say the least even though I kept calm acting as a lady. This hotel obviously leaves a lot to be desired. Losing reservations, bad attitude and not being personable is not qualities of a good manager and reflects poorly on the hotel.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Kimberlycr
Reviewed September 11, 2013

I stayed here after being forced to quickly scramble for a room when the hotel I booked couldn't find my reservation.
I'm not one to stay at motels and am a self-proclamined germaphobe. I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised by the room itself. While small and no-frills, it was clean and looked like it had been updated within the last few years.
Would I stay there again? Not on purpose. But it wasn't bad in a pinch.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 8, 2013 via mobile

Stayed two nights for the OSU football game. Hotel was busy, alumni weekend. My room was clean and the bed (king) was clean and nice. One of the firmer hotel mattresses I've experienced lately. The room is basic, and small but adequate. So small, actually, that the door bumps the desk when opened. The tv is old (flat screen tube). Building Two is 30 feet from a train track with multiple overnight trains -completely obnoxious. Overall, though, you can't go wrong with the location on a game weekend for well under $100 a night.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed August 20, 2013

My wife and I (50's) booked a room last Saturday for a blues music event downtown. We have stayed here about 10 times previous so we know what to expect and it is plenty good for what we need. We recommend this hotel if you looking for a place to sleep and you plan to spend a minimal amount of time in the room.
Cons:
Towels are small
Rooms are clean but in need of update
Close to train tracks (this has never been a problem for us but I guess there is that potential)
A great OSU Buckeye's bar with memorabilia next door was torn down to build another hotel
Prices increase and availability decrease during OSU games
Pros:
Rooms are clean and we have never had trouble with noise
Free parking right outside your door if you are on first floor
$67 per night plus tax
Microwave and medium sized refrigerator included
Close to SR315 ramps and 5th street for easy access to downtown and Ohio State events
Flat screen TV

Room Tip: Ask for first floor away from the train tracks
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple