“I do NOT recommend this hotel to season travelers!!! Choose another property which can afford you more for your hard earn money!”

Motel 6 Columbus - OSU
Ranked #119 of 145 Hotels in Columbus
Reviewed March 18, 2009

This is a standard motel, no frills located in a dead part of Columbus, OH 43202.
Polite staff: Eric, Renee, Katamba, Sue, and Mrs. Kamal Prahwa.

What worked for me at this hotel? Not anything! It did not have anything special to offer me. It is too simple and without anything. This property is for sleeping only. There are not any nice restaurants around. I am NOT a fast / junk food consumer. The bus does run well from this area. I erred when I selected this product property. I did not know where I was coming. I thought it would be significantly closer to downtown than I now realize. In addition, the cash deposit is too much for a no frills hotel, that does not have anything to offer. It is not as if I would be charging wine, food, etc… none of these are available at this motel. Even the remote control in the bedroom was simple. You cannot advance/spring to TV stations. For example, you cannot select channels simply by pushing the buttons and have the TV jump to the station(s) of choice. You must go through the channel selection one after another. Ugh! The telephone is in the wrong place in the room; it is not on the work desk... uhmmm. Had difficulties closing the curtain, one sheet (sleep on sheet) was spotted with a dark brown stain, a few of the face towels were stained with dark brown spots too. No they were not dirty… (well I am sure they were washed) however, badly stained; this does not work for me. That sheet and those towels need to be disposed. Housekeeping personnel had already left for the day so I had to sleep without a cover sheet on the bed… paying what I paid? Oh no! In addition, breakfast was a disaster. Why? Some of us eat healthy foods and are cognizant of calories, and non-toxic foods. They did not have any oatmeal, boiled eggs or an assortment of fruits. All they have are endless donuts, muffins, bagels, white bread, all those lethargic feeling CRABS that add fifty (50) lbs to your waistline after you get up from the breakfast table. Horrible! All that heart attack and insulin spiking foods; all for U$80.00/night, NEVER again!!! This hotel should not sell the room I was in for more than U$59.00/ max per night including the taxes. The current rate for the room I occupied is too expensive given what one does not receive in a modern day hotel at this management’s selling price-point. If this hotel were selling the product I occupied at U$50.00/night including tax, it would be just ok for this product. I give this hotel a ‘D- Grade’, not more. It’s just barely passes my litmus.

Would I stay here again? Yes, however with reservation. There would have to be a compelling reason to stay at this property again. For example, no other hotel available within a seven to ten mile radius of this property due to a sold out city or if I had an appointment across the street from this hotel. I would absolutely NOT pay the same price!

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled on business

Reviewed August 7, 2008

My wife and I stayed here after returning from a lengthy flight. The property is more motel than hotel, but is very clean (especially the pool). The front desk was very accommodating.

The room is very small with a small TV - similar to a Motel 6. However, the bed, a typical Baymont bed, is very comfy. The bathroom is clean and has newer fixtures.

I would have given this a higher rating, except the bedding was older and the comforter did have a faded blood stain (not fresh, and washed many times).

One final tip: the Mexican restaurant in front, El Vaquero, has good food and is very cheap.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 4, 2008

We just recently stayed at this motel for one night while attending the Fair. It's a very nice, quiet and CLEAN motel. The pool is a little small, but was very clean. The breakfast in the morning is just right. I would Stay there again with no doubts.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed August 3, 2008

Great place to stay. Off of the road so there is no traffic noise. Housekeeping is great. If you have an issue (my water never got hot in the first room) they take care of it immediately. Clean and freshly painted (7/08). Breakfast is good, however the hours are too short (6-9) and (7-10) in my opinion. They can accommodate trailers if necessary.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed June 25, 2008

This is a great hotel that is close to most of the attractions and a few Malls of Columbus. We stayed one night. The room was very clean and had lots of space. We walked to nearby restaurants. The continental breakfast included waffles, bagels, danishes, cereal and fruit. The staff was very friendly and helpful. I would recommend this hotel for the quality at a reasonable price.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 1, 2008

We booked two rooms for one night at this hotel as part of a road trip weekend. The hotel's location is great. It is near OSU and the Short North area, which is always lively and fun. Although there was continental breakfast, we were saving up for breakfast at First Watch, so we didn't eat anything at the hotel. There is also a Mexican restaurant across the parking lot. Across the street is a cemetery, so if you don't find that strange, then this hotel is alright. Doors open to the outside, so you can hear everything going on outside. The room was simple and clean. Bathroom was small, but clean. Beds are comfortable. There is internet access and cable TV. There is a small pool and small workout room, 3 cardio machines. The pool was closed. This hotel is great for spending a comfortable night before your next destination while on a budget.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 3, 2008

I spent three days at the Baymont attending a conference at OSU and can't understand the objection to it. The room was large, clean, well-heated (Columbus was cold and rainy!) and the beds were comfortable. I had a lot of editing to do between sessions and was able to spend a considerable amount of time in the hotel business room, first editing the texts and then emailing them back to Finland. There was enough to eat for breakfast (especailly if you're into sweet and starchy) and I couldn't find any of the rudeness noted by earlier guests.

Stayed: March 2008