“Good service but errors in handling room”
Review of Motel 6 OSU

Motel 6 OSU
Ranked #122 of 143 Hotels in Columbus
Arkadelphia, Ar
“Good service but errors in handling room”
Reviewed June 23, 2011

Hotel staff was great BUT I didn't appreciate having my room given to another and ending up with a smoking room. First come first serve is my slogan and that doesn't mean arrival time but booking time. Aside from that, the staff offered to change the following day but not good enough.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Dalton, Georgia
Reviewed June 13, 2011

As soon as we walked in we noticed how clean the room was, it smelled great and everything was perfectly clean. The staff at the front desk were very friendly and helpful. They gave us no trouble at all when we asked for clean towels. I would definitely recommend this hotel for anyone who is on a budget and wants a clean/comfortable place to sleep.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Christa91
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed October 22, 2010

My mother is a patient at the James, and while Varsity Management was up to date on our status etc. fully knowing how long we would need the room, they booked our room for the wk end game (home game)! If thats not enough my things were looted and taken.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Marlborough, Massachusetts
Reviewed March 22, 2009

My girlfriend and I flew in for the weekend to catch a Buckeyes football game. We had no issues whatsoever with checking in. The girl at the desk was nice and greeted us warmly. The hotel is located about a mile from the campus on a main road leading to the highway, but it is nestled far enough back where road noise is not an issue. It is also within walking distance to a couple of restaurants, a Burger King was located at the entrance. All of the sporting venues at The Ohio State University were roughly a 20-30 minute walk from the hotel. The free breakfast they offer is typical of a small hotel. Coffee, danish and mini-boxed cereals were offered and satisfied what we needed satisfied. We didn't have too much time to enjoy it anyway since I was in a hurry to get to the Horseshoe, which is beyond describeable in itself.

For an average of $95/night over a Fri + Sat stay, I expected less and was pleasantly surprised at how much liked the place.

We had to leave very early on Sunday morning to catch our flight home and the guy at the front desk, despite the time of morning, or how long he'd even been there, and the fact that it was still pitch black outside, was very nice and we had no problem checking out.

My only issues with the hotel were that the shower and the temperature was very inconsistent. It went from hot to cold very quickly and was unpredictable. Also, eventhough I had no intention of using the pool, it was not clean. Granted, it was almost the first day of Fall, but it was a very warm weekend and it looked like the pool and the surrounding area, hadn't been cleaned in a couple of days, or possibly weeks.

I would definitely consider staying here again on my future trips to Columbus.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ColdStaind1
Oahu
Reviewed March 18, 2009

This is a standard motel, no frills located in a dead part of Columbus, OH 43202.
Polite staff: Eric, Renee, Katamba, Sue, and Mrs. Kamal Prahwa.

What worked for me at this hotel? Not anything! It did not have anything special to offer me. It is too simple and without anything. This property is for sleeping only. There are not any nice restaurants around. I am NOT a fast / junk food consumer. The bus does run well from this area. I erred when I selected this product property. I did not know where I was coming. I thought it would be significantly closer to downtown than I now realize. In addition, the cash deposit is too much for a no frills hotel, that does not have anything to offer. It is not as if I would be charging wine, food, etc… none of these are available at this motel. Even the remote control in the bedroom was simple. You cannot advance/spring to TV stations. For example, you cannot select channels simply by pushing the buttons and have the TV jump to the station(s) of choice. You must go through the channel selection one after another. Ugh! The telephone is in the wrong place in the room; it is not on the work desk... uhmmm. Had difficulties closing the curtain, one sheet (sleep on sheet) was spotted with a dark brown stain, a few of the face towels were stained with dark brown spots too. No they were not dirty… (well I am sure they were washed) however, badly stained; this does not work for me. That sheet and those towels need to be disposed. Housekeeping personnel had already left for the day so I had to sleep without a cover sheet on the bed… paying what I paid? Oh no! In addition, breakfast was a disaster. Why? Some of us eat healthy foods and are cognizant of calories, and non-toxic foods. They did not have any oatmeal, boiled eggs or an assortment of fruits. All they have are endless donuts, muffins, bagels, white bread, all those lethargic feeling CRABS that add fifty (50) lbs to your waistline after you get up from the breakfast table. Horrible! All that heart attack and insulin spiking foods; all for U$80.00/night, NEVER again!!! This hotel should not sell the room I was in for more than U$59.00/ max per night including the taxes. The current rate for the room I occupied is too expensive given what one does not receive in a modern day hotel at this management’s selling price-point. If this hotel were selling the product I occupied at U$50.00/night including tax, it would be just ok for this product. I give this hotel a ‘D- Grade’, not more. It’s just barely passes my litmus.

Would I stay here again? Yes, however with reservation. There would have to be a compelling reason to stay at this property again. For example, no other hotel available within a seven to ten mile radius of this property due to a sold out city or if I had an appointment across the street from this hotel. I would absolutely NOT pay the same price!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed December 28, 2008

I am in general agreement with the three (previous) August 2008 reviews posted on this site. The rooms are a bit small, but the furnishings are similar to a Comfort Inn, not a Motel 6. Very clean.

The wireless connection was quite good. In addition, they have a small (separate, well-maintained) computer room equipped with 2 PCs and a printer off the lobby.

The glass-enclosed external entrance workout room had only three pieces, but the treadmill was of excellent quality. A flatscreen TV and a few towels were also provided.

The breakfast was better than par for a budget hotel with waffles, a good selection of bagels and yogurt, etc.

Staff was very attentive at check-in and throughout the stay.

Note that the rooms are external entrance (i.e. park at your door). The hotel is very close to the OSU campus and in close proximity to fasrt food restaurants and some stores.

You will find that Columbus area hotels are quite expensive and as such the Baymont is one of the best deals.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Medina, Ohio
Reviewed August 7, 2008

My wife and I stayed here after returning from a lengthy flight. The property is more motel than hotel, but is very clean (especially the pool). The front desk was very accommodating.

The room is very small with a small TV - similar to a Motel 6. However, the bed, a typical Baymont bed, is very comfy. The bathroom is clean and has newer fixtures.

I would have given this a higher rating, except the bedding was older and the comforter did have a faded blood stain (not fresh, and washed many times).

One final tip: the Mexican restaurant in front, El Vaquero, has good food and is very cheap.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)