“An excellent experience”

Hampton Inn and Suites Columbus Downtown
Ranked #8 of 145 Hotels in Columbus
Reviewed September 21, 2012

This was a great stay! Approaching hyper-critical, I couldn't honestly complain about much. Some work on room improvement had the rooms across from the elevator closed off and marked up. But they even put plastic on the floors so as not to ruin the carpet. (The plastic was rather fun actually... sounded a lot like walking on bubble-wrap.) The ladies at the front desk were helpful with directions. The valet parking was lightning fast and it was in a fantastic location for nightlife. (It was RIGHT off the interstate... making it easy to get to as well.)

Not only would I recommend it... not only would I stay there again... I fully INTEND to stay there again.

I would warn this... there is some road construction out front which makes it difficult to spot as the construction goes right up to the street you turn on. However, the next street allows you to get back to the hotel. Very easy.

Okay... I feel I must put in some failing.

The sliding glass door on the - otherwise very nice shower - is on the wrong side of the stationary panel. While they have a plastic strip to act as a seal, its not completely effective, so some water got on the floor in front of the toilet that was next to the shower. Yes... thats the worst I can come up with.

Room Tip: Ask for a quieter room at the back. (West side I believe.) I think the road out front is probably...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Matt K, General Manager at Hampton Inn and Suites Columbus Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2012

I just wanted to say thanks for your glowing review and it was a pleasure serving you! I’m so glad you were able to experience our warm Hamptonality. I’ve asked our maintenance team to take a look at the shower’s sliding glass doors and make any necessary repairs. We can’t wait to see you again soon!

Reviewed September 20, 2012

Spent 2 nights recently on business. There is a bit of construction both inside and outside, but it is unobtrusive. I stayed on the fourth floor and there was plastic sheeting in hallways, but other than that, there were no issues, and no noise. The room was large, but even though it was next to the elevator, there was no noise from that either. Everything in the room was spotless. The free breakfast was fine, and appreciated as the hotel is downtown and chasing around for breakfast in the morning can be a challenge in that neighborhood. Overall - recommended and would stay again!

Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 19, 2012

Great staff. very clean. nice breakfast layout. Doing some construction on the outside and some rooms but no issue with construction sound. One block away from the southern tip of the short north. close to theaters(acting) close to north market and other venues. A bit pricey for a hampton but then again, you pay for the convenience/location not to drive after going for drinks. There is a valet charge currently of $23. Unless you have some other arrangement to park nearby and walk to the hotel, this charge is not optional.

Was in town for OSU game and then entertaining at night. Lots to do near this hotel

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Matt K, General Manager at Hampton Inn and Suites Columbus Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay with us! I am very glad to hear that you found our location to be convenient as there is a lot to do within walking distance of the hotel. I hope you got to enjoy one of our newly renovated rooms. If not, I hope you have the opportunity to stay with us again in the near future once all the rooms and new lobby are complete!

Reviewed September 15, 2012

This is not a luxury hotel, but I have had the most comfortable stay I had in a hotel in a long time. Rooms are spacious and spotlessly clean, there are enough fluffy towels (usually one of my bugbears) and staff are just simply lovley. You don't always get breakfast (or anything worth calling that) in hotels, but this was plentiful and served by the nicest crew. There is a small pool and a gym - all very well kept (but no changing room which is a bit tricky after swimming).

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Matt K, General Manager at Hampton Inn and Suites Columbus Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2012

Northernlassie, thank you so much for your kind words regarding your recent stay with us! I am very please to hear that you enjoyed all the amenities and the hospitality from the staff. I hope you have the opportunity to stay with us again in the future!

Reviewed September 5, 2012

When checking in I requested a room away for the construction noise to get a good night sleep, after reading other tripadvisor reviews about the noise. I was trying to sleep in after a long night at the bars, when at 8:30 there is very loud construction and hammering in the room next door. On every floor you have to walk on construction plastic to get around. The one plus is the good location.

If there was no construction, I would rate the hotel a 4 out of 5 stars.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Matt K, General Manager at Hampton Inn and Suites Columbus Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. Unfortunately your stay with us was during a noisy portion of the current phase of the renovation which involved removal of floor tile. I hope you have the opportunity to stay with us again when the enhancements of the guestrooms and lobby are complete in late first quarter of 2013!

Reviewed September 3, 2012

We stayed at this Hampton Inn on our return trip from Chicago to Rhode Island and we had a wonderful experience. The hotel is in the process of renovation and we were lucky enough to stay in a newly remodeled room. The room was classy and had a beautiful view over the city, however the staff at the hotel was the highlight of our stay. The staff at the front desk on the evening of September 2 set the tone as they greeted this weary traveler with warmth and a very positive attitude. Before long I had free entrance to the Labor Day weekend Greek Festival which was adjacent to the hotel and also received great advice on area restaurants. The room was very comfortable and clean. The bed was great and the room was quiet; who could ask for more? Breakfast was included and was more than adequate.

There are many restaurants in the Short North area in easy walking distance from the hotel. We ate at the Press Grill which is like you friendly neighborhood pub with great food and a lively atmosphere. All in all, we were pleasantly surprised by our stay at the Hampton Inn and the wonderful staff. This is truly a hotel that puts the customer first.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 3, 2012 via mobile

Room was nice, looks like it was recently updated, very clean. Breakfast was great with a large selection to choose from.

Gym was clean with mostly everything you would need.

The entire staff was very friendly, and the door man was great!

• Stayed: August 2012