“Great value and location - many amenities”

Hampton Inn and Suites Columbus Downtown
Ranked #11 of 143 Hotels in Columbus
Alexandria, VA
“Great value and location - many amenities”
Reviewed March 20, 2011

What a great, clean hotel in a great location. I wish I could've stayed here longer but had to stay at Renaissance Downtown because of it's proximity to where I was working. So many great amenities like coin laundry, pool, hot tub and fitness center. The best part about it was it's location, which is right in the Short North- a great area full of restaurants, bars, boutiques and galleries. Service was good, too. An excellent value for the money.
I had a suite. The living room had a flat-screen TV and big sofa and a kitchenette with sink, mini-fridge and microwave. The bedroom had a flat-screen TV too and a huge king bed - I slept like a rock and the bedding was super comforable.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Sara981

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed March 12, 2011

We stood at the Hampton Inn Downton Columbus this weekend and I was pleasantly surprised. I actually enjoyed my stay in the Hampton Inn and we booked a Hampton Inn for an upcoming trip to downtown Louisville next month. To be honest, I am a borderline hotel snob and I have always overlooked this brand. Well, after a not-so-great experience at another "higher quality" hotel in Columbus the month prior, we booked this hotel solely on the location. Soooo close to the Area District and all the clubs and bars (great little billards bar a block away, check it out). What really sold me was the bed. One review said the bed was lumpy. Yeah, it looks lumpy but that is because of the duvet cover and the feather comforter. The bed was HEAVEN. We did not want to get out of bed at all the following morning. Only downside was that the fitted sheet would not stay on the bed, but that was entirely our fault if you know what I mean.

We didn't eat breakfast there because it was too late when we rolled out of the room, but it looked like a pretty decent sized spread. There was a poetry convention in town that weekend so the lounge area on the second floor was packed with interesting people and they seemed to enjoy the breakfast and coffee bar. Not sure if that is always the scene in the hotel, but it was nice to chat with those folks.

Front desk was helpful to us. We asked for restaurant recommendations and they were so helpful. Then, we needed a cab to take us to the Lady Gaga concert over at OSU and the front desk called and the cab was ready in a minute or so. However, a man did stumble into the lobby and asked if he could use the phone and they wouldn't let him because he wasn't a guest. I didn't see the harm in letting the man use the phone for a moment. Oh well. I'm sure every other hotel in the US would have told the man no also, so it isn't a valid criticism for me to apply here.

We will definitely book this hotel for our next concert trip up to Columbus. This is now our Columbus hotel. Such a great value and location, location, location!!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank chersollycinci
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed February 7, 2011

I recently spent 3 nights at the Hampton Inn and Suites in Columbus, Ohio while traveling on business. I booked a suite for an upcharge but wanted the extra space since I was going to be there for a while. The room was spacious and clean. The couch was comfortable as pull-outs go. I was able to watch TV on the big screen TV and work using the free wi-fi. The bed was great - very comfortable. The showerhead was high, great for tall folks like me. Since it is a Hampton Inn, there was a decent free continental breakfast. For lunch and dinner, there are a number of great restaurants close by in the Short North and Arena District.

The one watchout - valet parking is $23 a night and there is no option for self-parking.

I will definitely be back on my next trip.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Cincinnati
Reviewed December 5, 2010

After reading a very lengthy review about this hotel, we booked it anyway. Why? Because experience with the Hilton chain of hotels has taught me that when there is a problem and I have an unsatisfactory stay and report the stay, I get my money back for that night.
This Hampton is well located for conventions, sports events, and trendy night spots. We were there for our son's 35th birthday party at a nearby nightspot.
The property was clean. The staff were friendly. The room was typical Hampton with the comfortable beds and neutral decor. I expect no less with the Hampton chain. Breakfast was also typical and I did find that I could stay on my WW points easily with the selection. If you don't like what's being served at a free buffet in a hotel you can go elsewhere and pay.
The valet parking was $21 with in and out access. Cheaper than most of the hotels in the area.
We were on the top floor and there were no issues with noise. Granted, the 2nd floor to this Hampton is unusual with all the amenities grouped onto this floor; pool, breakfast area, business center, fireplace lounge, etc. But, as I will repeat again, Hampton has a 100% refund policy that I have taken advantage of a few times in the last 10 years.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Dallas, Texas, USA
Reviewed November 19, 2010

I don't usually write reviews, but I had such a pleasant experience here! I'm not sure what the person before me is talking about - it's as if they're describing another hotel entirely!

I was in Columbus on business for 5 days and was a bit nervous b/c I just returned back to work now that my 3 kids are in school. The staff there couldn't have been nicer, friendlier, and welcoming. It made being away from my family a lot easier.

The beds are very comfortable and have real down comforters, which probably accounts for the 'lumpiness' the previous reviewer noticed. The beds aren't lumpy at all. My room was kept very clean (and I'm quite a germaphobe - even with 3 kids!) and everything was excellent working order. As far as noise, I didn't notice anything (and I'm a very light sleeper) and the hotel was booked to capacity.

The location is amazing. It's the only hotel within walking distance to great shops and restaurants. And the staff was very helpful whenever I was looking for a specific type of cuisine. I was always greeted with a sincere smile and everyone was always ready to help me with anything. A couple of staff members even took the time to listen to me go on and on (and on - LOL!) about how much I missed my family. They were very sincere and empathetic.

This was a great experience and I highly recommend this hotel. You can't beat the staff, the service, the cleanliness, and the price!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Detroit
Reviewed November 12, 2010

Very comfortable. The extra room of the suites and mini suites are well worth the minor additional cost. The buffet breakfast is actually quite nice, just ends too early.

I have stayed 4-5 times and will be back next month. The location is great for the Art Walk. Not as nice as the Hyatt, but much better location. Very comfortable bed.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled solo
morgantown
Reviewed September 17, 2010

This was my second stay at this hotel since I was so pleased with the first stay. Hotel is nice with a downtown atmosphere. The location is great since some fine eating establishments are within walking distance. Great for a business trip to downtown.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business