“Clean But Weird”

TownePlace Suites Columbus Worthington
Ranked #86 of 145 Hotels in Columbus
Reviewed July 19, 2014 via mobile

Starting with the good, the room was recently renovated and spotlessly clean. Just like you'd expect for this brand. And it was larger than many. That's why I give it a 3. It was almost a 2 for the downsides. It seems this hotel has a large proportion of people, not just business people but families and pets staying here long term. So it feels like living in an apartment complex. There was a teen party in the parking lot tonight. And when I checked in there was a tattooed guy who had pulled a chair outside and was siting by the door smoking and acting as a doorman helping people enter without a key card. My room is in a building across the parking lot from the front desk so if the weather is bad or you are concerned about security at night it is something to think about. For me, I would choose another place if I returned to the area.

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Bartleymon
Rachel M, General Manager at TownePlace Suites Columbus Worthington, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2014

Thank you very much for your kind words in regards to your stay about the hotel been very clean. We are glad that you had the chance to enjoy our suites with your family and you were comfortable with your stay. At the TownePlace Suites we are an extended stay property geared to the do it yourself guests. We have business people, people relocating to the area, and the traveling familes. Thank you for bringing it to our attention about the guests camped out in front of the door smoking. We will make it a priority to ensure that they smoke in designated areas for any future guests that choose to stay with us. Thanks again for staying and we look forward to you hopefully returning to our hotel.

Reviewed June 30, 2014

We arrived late (12:30am) and were greeted by a friendly employee. Parking was scarce and the hotel itself is hard to find after twisting around several side streets; the sign is small. The entry way to the building smelled a bit musty but the hallway was clean. The room was clean and newly updated. The bed was very comfy but my husband slept on the pull-out sofa and said it was like sleeping on a board. Breakfast had a good selection but the room was small and very crowded with very limited seating. The pool didn't open until 10am which is a bit late considering check out is at noon. Good hotel for the price we paid thru priceline.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed June 24, 2014

I recently stayed here in the 2 bedroom suite weekend of June 20,2014 for two days. The hotel was great all of the beds were comfortable and clean. The Sofa bed mattress was very comfortable and can sleep one adult with 2 children or two adults. Everything was new and clean. Kitchen appliances were very nice. Cooked dinner the first night and breakfast both mornings. I will stay here again. The staff was also very nice. There is a movie cinema across the street that is very nice a great place to take children. The only draw back was the pool was not very clean and I only let the children go swimming once because of this.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank MJones513
Rachel M, Director of Sales at TownePlace Suites Columbus Worthington, responded to this reviewResponded June 26, 2014

Thank you very much for your kind words in regards to your stay. We are glad that you had the chance to enjoy our two bedroom suite with your family and you were comfortable with your stay. We would be honored to have you and your family back to stay with us and we hope to exceed your expectations in regards to the room but more specifically by improving the cleanliness of our pool. Thank you for bringing it to our attention. We will make it a priority to ensure that our pool is in prestine condition when you return and for any future guests that choose to stay with us. Thanks again for staying and we look forward to your return trip.

Reviewed May 29, 2014

I recently stayed here overnight after flying in from LA. I checked in after 11:00 pm, and was pleasantly surprised. The staff was friendly and courteous and very helpful. I asked if there was anywhere that I could get something to eat, the clerk gave me directions to several places that were still open (within a mile).

The suite was very nice, and seemed new. It was a clean and a quiet location. The bed was very comfortable and had good pillows.

There are several restaurants (Ruth's Chris, Bravo Cucina, j. Alexander's) very close and a large cinema within 1/4 mile. It is only about 12-14 minutes away from the airport and 5-7 minutes from the Easton Mall.

Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank jdhillwv
Reviewed March 30, 2014

The staff was excellent. The room rate was very good for the area. We were very happy with our stay for a weekend with a youth sports team and everyone was very happy with their suites. The only knock was there was no common area to congregate but once the breakfast area is finished that issue will likely be resolved.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms furthest away from train for quieter stay.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank hubwdw
Reviewed December 6, 2013

I had stayed here for an extremely long time due to a project in the area. The staff was exceptional and met and exceeded every need. They were very professional and helpful and made me feel very "at home". From someone out with a snow blower clearing all the sidewalks and parking areas in the dark at 5AM last February to getting a flickering bulb replaced in my bathroom and so much more, (I could go on, seriously, I could go on for paragraphs). If I ever return I will consider no other place. And after they renovate? It's going to be so much better.

Room Tip: 3rd floor, West end of North wing facing South. Sounds confusing but you don't hear the train o...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed December 4, 2013

I should preface this review by saying that I understand that this hotel is going to be renovated soon. And it should be soon!

Finding the hotel: First, it is so hard to find. We used our gps and did find it, but after we drove into a driveway that had a small sign that was said "TownePlace Suites," we couldn't figure out where the office was. There were two big buildings that looked very much alike. In front of the second building, there was a small sign that said "Welcome" and a little logo, which I guess should have made it obvious that this was the place, but it wasn't evident to me.

Construction and the train: Right now, early in December of 2013, there is single lane traffic on Rt. 23 because of construction. The hotel is located off 23. Getting there in rush hour was awful. Also there is a double train track not too far from the hotel, and I did hear rumbling of a train several times in the night. I didn't hear any train whistles, though. The train didn't bother us.

The room: It really isn't a room. It's more like a teeny tiny apartment. There was a full kitchen, which looked to be in good condition and clean. We didn't use it. The room has a table and chairs (where guests would eat their breakfast), and a couch and chair. Very nice if you need those amenities.

Smoking!!! When we walked down the hall to our room, the smell of cigarette smoke was really strong. I suspect that there are people there on a long-term basis and maybe the staff looks the other way when they know someone is smoking. Anyway, there was a strong smell.

The room and bed: Our room was OK, but very well-used. It seemed clean. But the bed was another issue. It was a pillow top queen. The mattress was super soft and my husband and I either rolled together or nearly off the edge. The pillow top was foam and it was unevenly puffy. Also, like many of those soft top mattresses, it was very hot. I had a hard time sleeping because of these things.

Little things: The curtains were coming off the curtain rod. Not a big thing, but it added to the feeling of neglect and over-use. The porch light by one of the entry doors was burned out. The stoop outside the doors were dirty, especially the tops of the trash bins outside the doors. Not a good first impression.

Breakfast: The lobby is miniscule. I was skeptical about where they would put out breakfast, but they brought out a cart of sorts and everything was there. It was just the bare bone breakfast--hard boiled eggs, cereal, yogurt, breads, fruit, peanut butter, coffee, etc. Enough so you wouldn't starve, but we went out to breakfast after this meager fare early in the morning.

I was surprised by the hotel. Has Marriott changed its standards? I expected more. I hope the renovations improve it.

Room Tip: Ask to be in a room that is away from smokers. They would probably tell you that smoking is not all...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Persnicketyanne
Also consider these accommodations in or near Columbus
Residence Inn Columbus Worthington
Courtyard Columbus Worthington
Hyatt Place Columbus/Worthington
Homewood Suites by Hilton Columbus / Worthington
Holiday Inn Columbus N - I-270 Worthington
Extended Stay America - Columbus - Worthington

Been to TownePlace Suites Columbus Worthington? Share your experiences!