“I've come to expect more from this chain”

TownePlace Suites Columbus Worthington
Ranked #74 of 143 Hotels in Columbus
Colorado Springs, CO
“I've come to expect more from this chain”
Reviewed April 15, 2013

I was overall disappointed with this hotel. When we arrived 2 hours before check-in, the front desk was rude and immediately said "no early check-in". Which isn't a problem if you attempt some kind of friendly customer service level.
It was surprising because of the empty parking lot, but I can sympathize that they may have had a busy week...???

When we went back at check-in, they still only had 3 of our 4 rooms ready. I feel bad for the folks that were waiting in line behind us because we took the last 3 rooms available to check-in to.

As for the room- it's a dated hotel so needs a facelift. The faucet in my shower had a constant drip and there were used shampoo and conditioner bottles still in my shower. I'll chalk it up to an oversight by housekeeping, but it made me feel as if the bathroom hadn't been cleaned. There were stains on the couch cushions, so I never once sat anywhere besides the desk chair and bed. The room also had a smoky smell, although marked as non-smoking.
Saving grace was that I'm not in my room much. The bed was very comfortable so at least I slept well.

Overall the hotel is outdated and understaffed. I'd pick somewhere else to stay and pay a little more. I've stayed at a few Towneplace Suites and all are much better than this one.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank MrsH1983

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Hebrew first
Hermann, Missouri
Reviewed March 23, 2013

My family and I were traveling with 4 people, needing two rooms for one night, and on a budget! This hotel fit our needs very nicely! Large rooms with comfortable beds. No frills, but we didn't need them or expect them.

"Business center" was a little awkward (located in the small lobby), but it was complimentary. Fitness Center was small (an elliptical and a treadmill), but fit my needs. Continental Breakfast had limited options, but fit my needs.

Staff was very friendly.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed March 20, 2013

The room was very spacious with a separate one bedroom, kitchen, etc, buy for a one night stay, that wasn't of much worth. The walls must be fairly thin as I could hear the guy in an adjacent room talkingon the phone when trying to go to sleep. Plus, this property as well as the residence inn are next to a commercial train line. While not overwhelming, trains were coming through often.

The breakfast area is basically non- existent for seating, so you need to grab the limited amount of items to go.

The front desk was by no means rude, but when I told them I had two pending charges for my room total on my debit card, she simply said 'it will go away'. That's true, but it takes 2-3 days for my money to return to my account from hold.

Overall the hotel is okay, just an average experience.

• Stayed March 2013
Leeds
Reviewed December 26, 2012

This suite fills a niche when more than four are travelling: neither so fancy and expensive as a resort, nor so cramped as putting a cot into a standard room. The main limitation is having only one bathroom - and, if you're on the third (top) floor, it's a hassle to go to the public restroom near the lobby, if someone else in your group is tying up the shower. There is a sink outside the bathroom proper, though, so there's some flexibility. In the kitchen area there's a full-sized refrigerator (not the under-the-counter kind), a dishwasher, a stove and toaster oven, and a limited amount of crockery and cutlery. The bed is a little on the soft side, but that may be a question of personal taste. The wireless internet works well (though it's too bad they've taken out the ethernet option). We got up too late to have breakfast, but I understand it's fairly limited anyway. The area around the hotel is safe but sterile: other hotels, some good restaurants, a multiplex cinema, however no corner stores or gas stations or anything to suggest that there are actual people living nearby. The location is handy, though, for I-270 and US-23 and it's good value: we paid about $100 which isn't bad for five people at the height of the Christmas season. All in all, this hotel is quite satisfactory, neither more nor less.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed October 25, 2012

On two different occasions, we made reservations at Mariott's TownePlace Suites, both in Columbus, Ohio. Both times we needed the 2-bedroom suite (for health reasons). When we arrived at the hotel, that type of room was not available. On the first stay, they gave us 2 adjoining rooms, and on the second stay, a room with 2 beds and a pullout. Neither situation was what we had reserved. For that price, we would've stayed somewhere less expensive if we were to all sleep in the same room. The only reason we made the reservation was because of the bedrooms that were separated from each other.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 19, 2012

I don't even want to give this place one star, but that's the lowest you can give.
When I checked in they wanted to charge an extra $240 for possible incidentals, which they didn't inform me of prior to my arrival. After several attempts to reach the manager the girl at the desk put an extra $10 on my bill...
Then we went into the suite. The filfth was over whelming. The suite had clearly not been cleaned for several visits. Grease and food baked into the stove/oven. Hair in the bathroom, dirt splattered on the walls. The couch was torn, paint peeling from wall and ceiling. The room hadn't been dusted or vaccumed.. The area was booked solid and we weren't able to change rooms or hotels.. I would not recommend staying here if you want a clean hotel.

Room Tip: Pick a different hotel