DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Hotel Columbus Downtown
Ranked #41 of 143 Hotels in Columbus
Columbia, Maryland
“Suite Score!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2007

I’m from the Dayton area but my girlfriend and I stayed here yesterday evening in order to avoided a crack-of-dawn commute to the Columbus Airport for an early morning flight today. Parked in the first spot of a garage (empty at this point on a Monday) just outside the hotel’s main entrance (not the Double Tree lot, but maybe even closer) at about 730pm (leaving the next day at 8am found us down only $6 for parking – DT-lot will run you $15-$18).

Wow! Nice, nice, nice!. Stayed in an 8th floor King-bed suite via a day-of reservation ($108 after tax). Marble/stone look/feel counter-tops, round high-table with 3 nice chairs. Had a mini-fridge, microwave, premo coffee, large TV in living area along with the typical business desk, coffee table, and atypical, sturdy, plush, clean (aka NOT the normal cheap-feeling, particleboard, crap furniture) couch & chair w/ottoman. Spotless and clean. Comfy bed! TV in the bedroom and a large, mirrored make-up/changing area outside the bathroom which was a big hit with the girlfriend.

Yes, hotel seems to be located in the business (cooperate/state government?) district but a short 2 minute, $6 cab ride (called via front desk at my convenience) found us on N. High St. That is a fun street! Nice restaurants and bars galore. An evening of light High St food, martins, and warm Double Tree cookies later we were very pleased with our decision to come to Columbus the night before the flight. Great city! Very nice hotel.

Stayed July 2007
3 Thank BillsMan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
Amish Country
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2007

Four of us booked a 2 room "river view" suite for a Saturday Evening. I believe with AArp and AAA it came to about $129.

Arrival:We parked at Double tree's car garage near the elevator entrance. You take an elevator to the main lobby to check in, then a separate elevator to your room. No problem, no wait at check in.

Room:
We were in room 410. Spacious 2 room suite.... view of the river was nice, (living room) desk for you business people, fridge, sink, microwave, Wolf Gang Puck coffee assortment (fancy), couch, TV, over sized chair,small table with 4 chairs.

Bed room standard double beds,TV, dresser, a mirror "wall" outside the bathroom with shelf (perfect for 4 women) big bath room (with Nutrageena samplers). No probs with water temps of pressure, plenty to go around.

Cleanliness wise I was say i was surprised to find red "stuff" on our curtains (blood?? pizza sauce??) who knows... and there was a golf ball sized hole in the wall, just behind the curtains with tissue shoved in it. Odd. Upon bed inspection, we found no hairs, bugs or undesirables... and slept comfortably.

Tips:
If you go to the lobby they have comp beverages (coffee, tea, ice water) and if you ask at the desk, they will give you some yummy cookies.

Ohio Theater in under a 10 min walk

Dining: Beware weekend visitors... this hotel is set in the business dist and it was tricky to find places outside of the hotel to eat (with in walking distance.)THAT WERE OPEN! There is a Subway we found about a block away (E) next to a CVS if you should need one. For dinner we hiked about 5-6 blocks (N) to "The Elevator" for a fancy dinner. And for breakfast do yourself a favor and make reservations for "First Watch" on S High (bfast was busy, but GOOD!) It's like a 2 minute drive, 15 min walk.

• Liked — Big rooms, free cookies
  • Disliked — Cleanliness issues
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with friends
3 Thank kmkdojomama
Ohio
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2007

I am with the guy who posted July 2nd. We stayed here the weekend of June 22nd for 2 nights. I booked the hotel online back in March, confirming a non-smoking room with 2 double beds. It was for my husband, me, my son and his babsitter (we were going to a convention). Upon arival Thursday night, we were told that we were only booked for one room, that the 2nd night had been cancelled!!! I never cancelled it, plus she told me there was nothing she could do because the hotel was completely full. She also charged us $169 for the room when I booked it for $129!!!!

So, we go up to the room, not knowing if we would have a place to stay the following night! I would have left right then, but it was the NHL draft weekend plus there was a G&L event and all hotels downtown were booked. We were there for a homeschooling convention. So, we get up to the room and it is a smoking room!!!! I didn't know these even existed anymore. Better yet, there is one king bed!! I was soooo mad. First they cancel our reservation, then they give us the wrong room! Basically they gave our room away to someone else!! A CONFIRMATION NUMBER AND RESERVATION MEANT ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!!! I really don't understand how they pick and choose. We were there at their mercy!

My husband called down and was told there was nothing she could do, that the manager wouldn't be in until morning and that the hotel was completely full. The room was dirty and smelled horrible. The sheets reeked of smoke and I felt likt I was staying at a sleezy motel, but what do you do? Drive home??? Our 20 year-old babysitter had to sleep on a pull-out and my son slept with us, but kept saying, "Mommy, it stinks in here." We were all tired, irritated and every breath I took reminded me how mad I was!

The next morning we called down and talked to Pam and she said there was nothing she could do until noon. Then she called back just as my husband and I were making our way out the door and asked if we could move right then! Funny huh? She also said she was able to extend our stay. I wonder how a room just "popped up." Our son was still asleep, so we left and when he woke up he and his babysitter moved to the next room. Oh, what a difference! It felt like we were at a new hotel. The room was much cleaner and brighter.

They never did apologize, but it was apparent what happened. We got booted and they stuck us with what they had. It is upsetting that you can have a conirmation number and a reservation, but not be guaranteed a room! This has never happened to us before. We got several calls to ask if everything was O.K. and told to come down and get a special backpack for my son filled with a ball, frisbee, toys etc...our charges were brought down to $119 a night! Which was 10 UNDER what my reservation confirmed, although I don't think we should have had to pay for the first night at all! So, they knew what happened.

All in all, the second night was enjoyable and the room was clean (other than mold on the shower curtain) but I would never recommend this hotel, as you aren't sure whether they will have a room for you and if they do, it won't be close to what you asked for!!!!

• Liked — location--I could walk to Vets
  • Disliked — No guarantee that you will have a room when you arrive!!!
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
2 Thank oneluckymama
Columbus, OH
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2007

Beware the room you reserve online will NOT be the one you are offered when you arrive, confirmation number or not... We reserved 4 river view suites and 1 cityside view suite online in April 2007. When we arrived in July 2007, we were told those rooms were unavailable, they had given them to others for anywhere from $400-$800 (~$200-$600 more than thier advertised price). We spoke with the front desk, the manager, Pam, attempted to contact Dale Jordan, the GM, no response from him. Bottom line, we ended up paying about $60 more per room... Not teh riverview rooms we reserved, roomos on the city view side with a view of the building across the street.. Not a river...Beware of this particular Doubletree, I've stayed at others with no issues, but this one is to be avoided. Classic Bait and switch tactics...

• Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank DOD-DRL
Cleveland, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2007

The Doubletree Columbus is primarily a business hotel. Their prime location at the corner of Front and State Streets in downtown Columbus makes them easily accessible to any of the major downtown buildings, including the State House, City Hall, and the City Center Mall. The hotel has high-speed wireless Internet ($9.99/day), a mini convenience store in the lobby, and all of the other perks one would expect from a downtown Doubletree location.

But for a weekend tourist, it's also a great option! They're just across the river from COSI, and about a 3 minute drive from the Short North district in one direction, and a 3 minute drive from German Village in the other. Plus, since they get most of their custom during the week, weekend rates are surprisingly low. My wife and I were in town to see a show, and we paid only $109 for a king-bed 2-room suite.

The hotel restaurant is closed on weekends due to "lack of interest". This seems to be a recent change, as evidenced by the printed signs throughout the lobby indicating the closure. But given the abundance of better-than-hotel-restaurant restaurants within a few minutes walk or drive, this shouldn't be a show stopper for many people.

Parking is easy and abundant (at least on weekends), with a 6-floor parking garage directly under the hotel. It is $12/day for hotel guests, with unlimited in/out privileges.

The room was enormous, and well-kept. The decor is a little dated, but everything was clean and worked properly. The only serious disappointment was probably the shower -- for being on only the 8th floor, water pressure was somewhat lacking. Not a huge problem, just room for improvement.

As a frequent business and leisure traveller, this hotel was a good option for either. If would be a easy and spacious place to conduct a small meeting, or pre-meeting organization area. For the leisure traveller, the ample space and two-room layout would be great for having kids in tow.

I give this hotel a thumbs-up.

• Liked — Probably the best location in downtown
  • Disliked — Water pressure could be better.
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Darlox
Tucson, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2007

I stayed here for a week on business. It was walking distance to my downtown work location. As a gold member I got some free water, free breakfast, and free internet. The hotel is walking distance to the arena district were there are various restaurants. The room was clean and comfortable. There was a living area with a fridge and wet bar. The bedroom was separate and comfortable.

• Stayed May 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank AZTrainer
Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2007

This was by far the largest suite and most comfortable surroundings we've ever had! It's across the street from the Scioto River and the Santa Maria replica, which made for a nice afternoon walk. The accommodations were excellent and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay here. Definitely makes the top of our list!

• Liked — The size of the room!
  • Disliked — Our breakfast was delivered too early and wasn't at a temperature that we would have liked.
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple