“Mediocre hotel; disappointing stay!”

DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Hotel Columbus Downtown
Ranked #62 of 145 Hotels in Columbus
Reviewed September 18, 2008

Having stayed in many Hilton family properties over the course of my life, I have come to expect a certain standard from their hotels, especially from Hilton and Doubletree hotels. Despite many user reviews for this hotel, I booked a four night stay at the Doubletree in Columbus, OH and was sorely disappointed. In fact, I ended up checking out early and moving to another hotel. The hotel is an older property and in need of a major renovation, but I was also dismayed by the service.

PROS:
1) Large room size - this is an all suite hotel, and the suites are quite large. This can be accommodating for large families.
2) The hotel has some nice views of the river.

CONS:
1a) Rude service upon check-in. After a long flight, I was looking forward to a nice shower, but the front desk informed me that no rooms were ready at check-in and wouldn't be ready until many hours later. After I asked to speak to the manager, she "found" a room. Unpleasant service from the front desk and desk manager for the duration of check-in.
1b) No warm chocolate chip cookies available during check-in :(
2) I came down later to the front desk (there is NO concierge) to ask for directions as well as other visitor information, and the staff was most unhelpful.
3) The furniture is outdated and worn out, and the entire hotel could use a renovation. The bathroom was also not clean, and the shower had mildew.
4) Even though there is a bellhop/taxi/valet stand in front of the hotel, it was always vacant, so even though there were taxis in the area, we had to call them way in advance.
5) There is a fee for internet and parking. If you are going to charge us for parking, at least offer valet.
6) Location. We were told when booking that the Convention Center was only a short walk away. It's definitely more than "a short walk" away.

Overall, unless the hotel undergoes a major renovation and works on customer service, then I definitely will not return.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank worldtraveler786
Write a ReviewReviews (1,275)

Reviewed September 17, 2008

This hotel exceeded our expectations! The staff was wonderful and helpful, our room was clean, and the location was convenient.
We didn't chose anything special for our room; it wasn't a suite or anything and it was awesome! It's the only hotel that we've stayed at that had 2 tv's. Upon entering the room, to the left is a seperate sitting area that included a kitchen, table w/ chairs, a sofa, an office desk and chair, and a comfy chair w/ ottoman. To the right of the entry way and through the french doors is the sleeping area with the most comfortable beds I've ever been in! I'm usually up a few times through the night, but I slept like a rock in this bed! The bathroom was also in this area and it was a basic hotel bathroom, maybe a little bigger. But the most important part was that it was clean. Best part are the chocolate chip cookies upon check-in...Delicious!!!
We went to the convention center which took about 3 minutes to drive to...it is walkable but we were running late. We went to the Easton Town Mall (very neat) and that took us about 15 minutes to drive to. There is a really good bagel place right around the corner from the hotel that's really good, but I can't remember the name of it.

Tips: Hotel offers a "come and go as you please" parking pass for $20 a day. I don't recommend this only because we were there from check-in time on saturday to check out time on sunday and only paid $8.
On the Easton Town Center website, you can print off a form to fill out and turn in to the Guest Services counter and they will give you a coupon booklet. The booklet has discounts to almost every store at the mall and is well worth picking up.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank courtko2006
Reviewed August 13, 2008

The staff is very attentive. Room service food was OK. Room is very dated. Hotel is quiet, but furnitre looks soiled. Must be other options.

Stayed: August 2008
1  Thank Bill F
Reviewed July 20, 2008

I booked this stay with Priceline which was not a bad price and I figured it would be good for the money. The cleanliness was seriously lacking though. My daughters moved the ottoman to find food and chips under it. You could tell it had not been vacuumed under there in awhile. The bathroom was also lacking in the cleaning area. The second night there I kept hearing what sounded like a jack hammer and the next morning we came out to find the cars covered in a thick layer of dust. The next night when we returned from the soccer game we found them tearing up the floor in the parking garage. It was so dusty in there you could not see and there was nothing warning you that they were working on the floor. Again the next morning the car was covered with dust and of course no notice and no where else to park.
The best part of our stay was getting to see the Kansas City Wizards Soccer players since they were the reason we were in town anyway. My daughters were so happy they got to see their favorite soccer team up close and in person again.

I do have to say that the night desk staff were wonderful and helpful but it is very unlikely I will stay there ever again.

Be forewarned that internet costs $9.95 for 24 hours and parking is $20 a day. The breakfast buffet also left a lot to be desired. They charged us $6.95 per child and my youngest barely ate anything since the food was nasty to her. My recommendation is to find somewhere else to stay.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed July 13, 2008

We booked this hotel as a family of 5 and liked the idea of not having to split our party into two rooms. We had a river view suite with two double beds that were the MOST uncomfortable beds I have ever slept in. The room itself was adequate, but badly in need of updating. Carpet was shabby and furniture was dusty. The room had a peculiar odor. Smelled as though the ducts needed cleaning. We won't stay here again. I thought the cost of the room and parking was ridiculous for the state of our room.
Service at the restaurant was good but then at 7 p.m. there was only one other table occupied, not a good sign. Food was okay, definitely not good. On a positive note, the staff were helpful and friendly/

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed June 30, 2008

The hotel is in downtown, excellent for walking. There is a river just a couple blocks away, ask for a room facing the river (some rooms have better river views, ask for the best views, which are really nice). Rooms are huge but in need of some minor repairs or upgrades. I've stayed here several times and notice that if you get a room next to the elevators, you can hear them (slighly) as they go up and down. If you're a light sleeper, ask for a room that is not next to the elevator shafts (rooms facing the river are not next to the elevator shafts). The hotel sits above a parking structure with the lobby a few floors up from street level, easy acess to garage and street but it will take two elevators to get you there. Food is really good, though the breakfast buffet is a little light on menu items. Service is ok but not bad in the restaurant and lounge. Desk staff is awesome here!!

Pros: Location can't be beat, giant size of rooms, food quality is good, front desk service outstanding.

Cons: Rooms are slightly worn and need some attention to detail.

Tips: Walk to the capital building, down the river walk, all of downtown area is just outside the lobby doors. German Village is not too far, a few bucks by cab and highly recommended for a unique evening out. The artsy and food/beverage area is also only a few bucks by cab or about a 20 minute walk. Great location if these are on your schedule.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed June 9, 2008

I have stayed here on a few occasions and have had a great experience each time. The Guest Service staff is always nice and friendly. They remember your name and the restaurant staff does the same.

If I had one issue it was that the food took a little time coming out of the kitchen even when you are dining in the restaurant. Other than that it was great. The next time that I am in Downtown Columbus this is where I will stay.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled on business