“Large suites, but just a little tired, food is good, service is great!”

DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Hotel Columbus Downtown
Ranked #45 of 143 Hotels in Columbus
San Diego, CA
“Large suites, but just a little tired, food is good, service is great!”
Reviewed June 30, 2008

The hotel is in downtown, excellent for walking. There is a river just a couple blocks away, ask for a room facing the river (some rooms have better river views, ask for the best views, which are really nice). Rooms are huge but in need of some minor repairs or upgrades. I've stayed here several times and notice that if you get a room next to the elevators, you can hear them (slighly) as they go up and down. If you're a light sleeper, ask for a room that is not next to the elevator shafts (rooms facing the river are not next to the elevator shafts). The hotel sits above a parking structure with the lobby a few floors up from street level, easy acess to garage and street but it will take two elevators to get you there. Food is really good, though the breakfast buffet is a little light on menu items. Service is ok but not bad in the restaurant and lounge. Desk staff is awesome here!!

Pros: Location can't be beat, giant size of rooms, food quality is good, front desk service outstanding.

Cons: Rooms are slightly worn and need some attention to detail.

Tips: Walk to the capital building, down the river walk, all of downtown area is just outside the lobby doors. German Village is not too far, a few bucks by cab and highly recommended for a unique evening out. The artsy and food/beverage area is also only a few bucks by cab or about a 20 minute walk. Great location if these are on your schedule.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Rooms slightly worn
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed June 9, 2008

I have stayed here on a few occasions and have had a great experience each time. The Guest Service staff is always nice and friendly. They remember your name and the restaurant staff does the same.

If I had one issue it was that the food took a little time coming out of the kitchen even when you are dining in the restaurant. Other than that it was great. The next time that I am in Downtown Columbus this is where I will stay.

• Liked — Location to the State Capital Building and State Supreme Court
  • Disliked — No Airport Shuttle
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
gorgeous hudson valley
Reviewed May 23, 2008

Well...we encountered some problems with the room we book, expressed our dismay to the GM, Mr. Jordan and a compromise was reached and we ended up in a bi-level suite. Absolutely breath-taking views at night, gorgeous sunsets. In trying to be fair to the hotel, it was at best a 2.5 star hotel. Even with our two floors, it was noticeable that there could have been more attention paid to the room. We noticed some cake smeared on the wall near the wet bar area, a reddish-brown smear on the curtain pulley, noticeable dust, debris on the carpets. Furniture was marred and outdated.
The size of the room was overwhelming. 2 bathrooms, 2 TV's...it was a really nice set-up. The clock upstairs was an hour ahead which made me wonder if anyone had stayed in the room since the spring-ahead time change, or couldn't figure out how to change the time. Previous posters were accurate! Updates needed and a thorough cleaning are in order.
On the side of the hotel staff....they could not have been nicer, we were checked in by Matt, escorted to our room by Mac and made to feel welcomed by Mr. Jordan.
Breakfast was just fine as a bagel and some fruit made a good start for the day. There is a lot of stuff to do and see around the hotel. I wish I could have been in town longer than 2 days, and when returning, I would stay at the hotel again. When thinkng Doubletree, I do think of luxury, this hotel provided the luxury, and unfortunately some dust too,
Parking was around $18 with in and out priveledges. You need to take the elevator up to the hotel lobby and then walk across the lobby to use the room elevator. Internet was $10/night.

• Liked — beds comfy
  • Disliked — great location
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed May 9, 2008

Having worked in Columbus for close to 8 months, this was the closest hotel to the work site. This was the primary reason for selecting the DoubleTree, as the other approved hotels meant a further walk to the work site.

The Hotel has a number of issues that they need to deal with. The cleanliness of the rooms was often hit and miss. There were some weeks I had a clean room, but more often than not, the room was tired and dirty. For example, there would be hair on the bathroom counter, and the carpet look like you should keep your shoes on at all times. There were often items missing from the room that I would need to request from the hotel/front desk (ie: luggage stand, Towels, Lamps, etc). The delivery of these items was always done, but certainly not in an expeditious manner.

The rooms themselves are huge ! Since it is an all Suite hotel, there is a huge living area with table, chairs, and a mini-bar sized fridge. 2 TVs in each room and most of the times, I had a comfortable King bed. And often the front desk staff would tell me the upgraded me to a River View. That would be the rooms that don't face directly into the court house building. But for some of these River View rooms, the seal on the windows would be gone and the entire window is fogged, making that River View pretty much useless.

Some of my stays, the rooms did have an odor of smoking, even though I was in Non-Smoking rooms.

The bathroom was not in proportion to the room size, as the bathrooms were quite small. The bathrooms frequently had issues, most notably the drain on the tub. I would notify the front desk of this, they would tell me they put a note in for maintenance, but it would never be resolved before I would leave at the end of the week.

I have status will Hilton, and was provided a complimentary breakfast in the restaurant. Its a hot and cold buffet, and albeit its not bad as far as buffets go, it was only average at best.

On some occasions I had a vehicle. Parking in the hotel is awkward, as the parking floors are below the hotel. So the lobby of the hotel is actually on the 7th floor, with 6 floors of parkade. So regardless of how you entered the hotel you would have to ride an elevator to get to the lobby level.

The staff seemed very friendly, well at least to me, because they would see me, week in and week out over a period of 8 months. So they were very accommodating to my requests. So I didn't have any issues with them.

I did on one occasion, have questions and comments to the hotel manager, and sent an email. I never had any response to my email. Which I thought was poor considering my length of stay at the hotel and my status with the chain.

Overall its a decent place to stay. However if issues with the cleanliness bother you, then you may want to look further afield.

• Liked — Proximity to work site and size of rooms
  • Disliked — Cleanliness
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
Akron, Ohio
Reviewed February 22, 2008

Our stay at this hotel was skeptical to start with. It was a mistake from the start. We booked using the State Employee discount rate of $80 but when we checked in, we were told the prices had gone up at the beginning of the year to $110 and their website hadn't been updated yet. My husband argued that it was an advertised rate but they would not budge. They offered to give us the name of someone we could call and we intended to once we returned home. That evening, we went to the restaurant and no sooner than we placed our order, other customers who had already been there were complaining about how long it took to get their dinner. One table of 6 walked out without paying, another was brought their food in to-go containers and the other only paid for their drinks (because that's all they got!) They were told, as were we, that they were short handed in the kitchen. It was like Deja Vu! We stayed at this hotel 3 years ago and while the rooms were nice and better than we expected, the restaurant service was horrible. 3 years ago we waited over an hour for our dinner all the while being told the reason for the delay was that a larger party came in after we did and they were short handed. Now, being 3 years later and seeing that they are still in business, we thought we'd give them another try. 45 minutes after ordering, our appetizer never came out and the steak we ordered was fish! 10 minutes later, the steak came out and was literally still bleeding on the inside. We ordered it medium well not raw. We then mentioned our appetizer, which ended up being the only thing we ate along with the vegetables. We paid for our meal but we also complained to the hostess who gave us a courtesy card to turn in at check out. The next morning, housekeeping was knocking on the door at 7:45 am, not once, not twice, not three times but four, after I yelled No thank you! Then at 9:45 the knocks came again, 4 times and check out wasn't until either 11 or noon. All in all, we spoke to a manager when we checked out and he was nice enough to refund us all of our money but we will never stay there again. I can't believe after 3 years the exact same problems exist along with the exact same excuses.

• Liked — The rooms
  • Disliked — The service
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
Cincinnati, OH
Reviewed December 10, 2007

I'm not sure the previous poster was in the same hotel. Yes, this is not a new hotel and some areas showed some sign of age (baseboards, hall carpet design), but I looked high and low for dirt and found none. I'm a "grout" fanatic and am pleased to say that I was able to shower without even thinking about mold or mildew.

We were greeted at the front desk and quickly assigned a king-sized bed after she confirmed our Priceline reservation for $50. Parking was an additional $12, located in the garage beneath the hotel. We happily took our warm, chocolate chip and oatmeal cookies to the 9th floor where we found a very, spacious and comfortable suite. The living room included a wet bar, refrigerator and microwave as well as a marble topped dining table and chairs. In addition, there was a pullout-sofa, club chair with ottoman, tv and desk. The bed room was equally as spacious with a king bed and high quality linens and pillows. Bath area included a mirrored (5-6 foot long vertical mirror) dressing area outside of the bath. Bath amenities were Neutrogena and there were ample towels. Noise level was minimal. We heard neither the neighbors on both sides, nor the man across the hall until checking out.

Breakfast next morning was $12.50 for the hot buffet and, unlike the previous poster, we found everything piping hot--even the eggs! Other choices were french toast, bacon/sausage, potatoes, oatmeal with toppings, yogurt, fruit, breads, bagels and pastries. Service was prompt and attentive.

This was an ideal location for us--attending a holiday function downtown, and the $50 price was outstanding.

• Stayed December 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank ShariLKB
denver, co
Reviewed October 27, 2007

Reading the recent reviews of this hotel leads me to believe one or several of the reviewers stayed at a different hotel. This is an old, old nasty hotel. I cannot believe that Hilton corporate has ever looked at this place. The room I was in, while huge, was dirty and disgusting. The drapes, windows, curtains are stained and falling off the wall. The drain in the tub took hours to drain and everywhere I looked I found stains. The place is just old and run down. I was on government business and am somewhat used to marginal hotels, but this is a new low. While the price is great, and you have a lot of room, the grunge is too much. The hotel restaurant is no better. The breakfast buffet is cold and boring....service is marginal and without enthusiasm. My entire breakfast was accompanied by loud and constant bickering among the staff members. This is a place to avoid if at all possible.

• Stayed October 2007, traveled on business