“Huge Rooms, Tired Rooms, and sometimes dirty.” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Hotel Columbus Downtown

DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Hotel Columbus Downtown
Ranked #41 of 143 Hotels in Columbus
Edmonton, Canada
“Huge Rooms, Tired Rooms, and sometimes dirty.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2008

Having worked in Columbus for close to 8 months, this was the closest hotel to the work site. This was the primary reason for selecting the DoubleTree, as the other approved hotels meant a further walk to the work site.

The Hotel has a number of issues that they need to deal with. The cleanliness of the rooms was often hit and miss. There were some weeks I had a clean room, but more often than not, the room was tired and dirty. For example, there would be hair on the bathroom counter, and the carpet look like you should keep your shoes on at all times. There were often items missing from the room that I would need to request from the hotel/front desk (ie: luggage stand, Towels, Lamps, etc). The delivery of these items was always done, but certainly not in an expeditious manner.

The rooms themselves are huge ! Since it is an all Suite hotel, there is a huge living area with table, chairs, and a mini-bar sized fridge. 2 TVs in each room and most of the times, I had a comfortable King bed. And often the front desk staff would tell me the upgraded me to a River View. That would be the rooms that don't face directly into the court house building. But for some of these River View rooms, the seal on the windows would be gone and the entire window is fogged, making that River View pretty much useless.

Some of my stays, the rooms did have an odor of smoking, even though I was in Non-Smoking rooms.

The bathroom was not in proportion to the room size, as the bathrooms were quite small. The bathrooms frequently had issues, most notably the drain on the tub. I would notify the front desk of this, they would tell me they put a note in for maintenance, but it would never be resolved before I would leave at the end of the week.

I have status will Hilton, and was provided a complimentary breakfast in the restaurant. Its a hot and cold buffet, and albeit its not bad as far as buffets go, it was only average at best.

On some occasions I had a vehicle. Parking in the hotel is awkward, as the parking floors are below the hotel. So the lobby of the hotel is actually on the 7th floor, with 6 floors of parkade. So regardless of how you entered the hotel you would have to ride an elevator to get to the lobby level.

The staff seemed very friendly, well at least to me, because they would see me, week in and week out over a period of 8 months. So they were very accommodating to my requests. So I didn't have any issues with them.

I did on one occasion, have questions and comments to the hotel manager, and sent an email. I never had any response to my email. Which I thought was poor considering my length of stay at the hotel and my status with the chain.

Overall its a decent place to stay. However if issues with the cleanliness bother you, then you may want to look further afield.

• Liked — Proximity to work site and size of rooms
  • Disliked — Cleanliness
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
      Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
Akron, Ohio
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2008

Our stay at this hotel was skeptical to start with. It was a mistake from the start. We booked using the State Employee discount rate of $80 but when we checked in, we were told the prices had gone up at the beginning of the year to $110 and their website hadn't been updated yet. My husband argued that it was an advertised rate but they would not budge. They offered to give us the name of someone we could call and we intended to once we returned home. That evening, we went to the restaurant and no sooner than we placed our order, other customers who had already been there were complaining about how long it took to get their dinner. One table of 6 walked out without paying, another was brought their food in to-go containers and the other only paid for their drinks (because that's all they got!) They were told, as were we, that they were short handed in the kitchen. It was like Deja Vu! We stayed at this hotel 3 years ago and while the rooms were nice and better than we expected, the restaurant service was horrible. 3 years ago we waited over an hour for our dinner all the while being told the reason for the delay was that a larger party came in after we did and they were short handed. Now, being 3 years later and seeing that they are still in business, we thought we'd give them another try. 45 minutes after ordering, our appetizer never came out and the steak we ordered was fish! 10 minutes later, the steak came out and was literally still bleeding on the inside. We ordered it medium well not raw. We then mentioned our appetizer, which ended up being the only thing we ate along with the vegetables. We paid for our meal but we also complained to the hostess who gave us a courtesy card to turn in at check out. The next morning, housekeeping was knocking on the door at 7:45 am, not once, not twice, not three times but four, after I yelled No thank you! Then at 9:45 the knocks came again, 4 times and check out wasn't until either 11 or noon. All in all, we spoke to a manager when we checked out and he was nice enough to refund us all of our money but we will never stay there again. I can't believe after 3 years the exact same problems exist along with the exact same excuses.

• Liked — The rooms
  • Disliked — The service
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Travelers are raving about these Columbus hotels

Cincinnati, OH
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2007

I'm not sure the previous poster was in the same hotel. Yes, this is not a new hotel and some areas showed some sign of age (baseboards, hall carpet design), but I looked high and low for dirt and found none. I'm a "grout" fanatic and am pleased to say that I was able to shower without even thinking about mold or mildew.

We were greeted at the front desk and quickly assigned a king-sized bed after she confirmed our Priceline reservation for $50. Parking was an additional $12, located in the garage beneath the hotel. We happily took our warm, chocolate chip and oatmeal cookies to the 9th floor where we found a very, spacious and comfortable suite. The living room included a wet bar, refrigerator and microwave as well as a marble topped dining table and chairs. In addition, there was a pullout-sofa, club chair with ottoman, tv and desk. The bed room was equally as spacious with a king bed and high quality linens and pillows. Bath area included a mirrored (5-6 foot long vertical mirror) dressing area outside of the bath. Bath amenities were Neutrogena and there were ample towels. Noise level was minimal. We heard neither the neighbors on both sides, nor the man across the hall until checking out.

Breakfast next morning was $12.50 for the hot buffet and, unlike the previous poster, we found everything piping hot--even the eggs! Other choices were french toast, bacon/sausage, potatoes, oatmeal with toppings, yogurt, fruit, breads, bagels and pastries. Service was prompt and attentive.

This was an ideal location for us--attending a holiday function downtown, and the $50 price was outstanding.

• Stayed December 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank ShariLKB
denver, co
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2007

Reading the recent reviews of this hotel leads me to believe one or several of the reviewers stayed at a different hotel. This is an old, old nasty hotel. I cannot believe that Hilton corporate has ever looked at this place. The room I was in, while huge, was dirty and disgusting. The drapes, windows, curtains are stained and falling off the wall. The drain in the tub took hours to drain and everywhere I looked I found stains. The place is just old and run down. I was on government business and am somewhat used to marginal hotels, but this is a new low. While the price is great, and you have a lot of room, the grunge is too much. The hotel restaurant is no better. The breakfast buffet is cold and boring....service is marginal and without enthusiasm. My entire breakfast was accompanied by loud and constant bickering among the staff members. This is a place to avoid if at all possible.

• Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
4 Thank Traveler1Denver_Co
Dahlgren, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2007

I was a little concerned at first when I started looking for a hotel in downtown Columbus for the same day. However, I was pleasantly surprised by the rate I was able to get at the Double Tree. Parking was on site in the garage right under the hotel, check-in was quick and easy and the staff was courteous and professional. I ended up with a city view king suite on the seventh floor. The room was clean and very spacious. Bedding was extremely comfortable. The only reason I didn't give the hotel an excellent was I thought having to pay $10 for internet access was a little excessive, considering you can get free access in many lower class hotels. That said, I would still stay here again in a heart beat.

• Liked — Price
  • Disliked — $10 for Internet access
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
Mount Vernon, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2007

I just got home from my stay in Columbus at the DoubleTree guest suits downtown.
I booked through Priceline.com for a bid of $50. My daughter and I wanted a hotel close to Nationwide Arena. Nationwide is about 6 blocks north on Front Street, so we chose to drive to our event rather than walk. We had a parking voucher for $18 that gave us unlimited in and out from the garage.
The parking garage was ok, and I felt secure. The elevators are glass and gives you a view of Cosi across the river. The Lobby is the top stop on those elevators. The check in was fast, and they give you a free warm cookie. Then you take another set of elevators up to the floors.
The room was very comfortable and clean. We had a living area and a kitchenette with a sink, microwave, refrigerator, eating area, sofa, TV, and a desk area. I was disappointed with the view, as we had a view of the back of the hotel, other buildings, and the rooftop of the restaurant. But hey, for $50, what can I expect?
The bedroom was sectioned off by french doors. We had 2 double beds with extremely comfortable mattresses and linens. There were 5 down pillows and a down comforter on each bed. We had a TV in the bedroom, a dressing area with a large closet enclosed with mirrored doors, a shelf and hairdryer. The room had darkening drapes and it was very conducive to sleep. The alarm clock had an adapter to plug in an Ipod or MP3 player.
The bathroom was clean, and the shower/tub was large and had the rounded shower curtain rod. The towels were large and fluffy. They also give you travel size shampoo, conditioner, and soap by Neutrogena.
We ordered room service for breakfast. The food was good but it took an hour to get it.
There is a restaurant in the building but they seem to have somewhat limited hours. There is also a little shop off the lobby that has snack foods, subs, softdrinks, and medicines or other things you may have forgotten.
They have 24 hr. security, and the guard did accompany me to my car about 4:30 in the morning to get my allergy medicine that I forgot in the car. (Thanks John). The night clerk was also very friendly.
I would definitely stay there again.

• Liked — Comfort.
  • Disliked — View
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
Columbia, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2007

I’m from the Dayton area but my girlfriend and I stayed here yesterday evening in order to avoided a crack-of-dawn commute to the Columbus Airport for an early morning flight today. Parked in the first spot of a garage (empty at this point on a Monday) just outside the hotel’s main entrance (not the Double Tree lot, but maybe even closer) at about 730pm (leaving the next day at 8am found us down only $6 for parking – DT-lot will run you $15-$18).

Wow! Nice, nice, nice!. Stayed in an 8th floor King-bed suite via a day-of reservation ($108 after tax). Marble/stone look/feel counter-tops, round high-table with 3 nice chairs. Had a mini-fridge, microwave, premo coffee, large TV in living area along with the typical business desk, coffee table, and atypical, sturdy, plush, clean (aka NOT the normal cheap-feeling, particleboard, crap furniture) couch & chair w/ottoman. Spotless and clean. Comfy bed! TV in the bedroom and a large, mirrored make-up/changing area outside the bathroom which was a big hit with the girlfriend.

Yes, hotel seems to be located in the business (cooperate/state government?) district but a short 2 minute, $6 cab ride (called via front desk at my convenience) found us on N. High St. That is a fun street! Nice restaurants and bars galore. An evening of light High St food, martins, and warm Double Tree cookies later we were very pleased with our decision to come to Columbus the night before the flight. Great city! Very nice hotel.

Stayed July 2007