“Worst treatment in many years!”

DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Hotel Columbus Downtown
Ranked #43 of 143 Hotels in Columbus
Kent, Ohio
“Worst treatment in many years!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2012

I suppose there are travelers who would have enjoyed being "walked" to another downtown Columbus property, but it was very disappointing for us. We booked our room for 2 nights at the Doubletree 6 months in advance and guaranteed payment on a credit card. When we arrived at the hotel after a long drive, late in the evening, we were told that our "guaranteed" and paid for room had been given to someone else. We had selected the hotel based on prior visits, but more importantly, on its proximity to the race route my husband would be running the next morning. It would allow me the ability to see him multiple times without difficulty, as I cannot run due to disability. The clerk told us we would be booked a room at another location, which did occur. Doubletree paid for the first nights stay at another location, but that left us with no place to go after the race, as its fee for a second night was more than twice the price of the original hotel. My husband had nowhere to rest. I did not get to see him at all during the race, either. To make matters worse. our next credit card statement showed a charge for 1 night's stay at about 30% higher rate than we had booked it! After multiple calls, the charge was dropped form our card.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank nanacindyjo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
Columbus, Ohio, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2012 via mobile

The delicious cookie they give you at check in sets a great tone for your stay. It is a warm chocolate chip and some kind of nut cookie. The room was large and my room had an extra sitting room that was also a nice size. The location is perfect for downtown business and there is a jimmy john's sub place right next door. The elevators are a little old and creaky and one of my colleagues didn't like that. I have no elevator phobias so I was fine. I will stay here again next year when I'm in town.

• Stayed November 2012
Honolulu, Hawaii
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2012

Of the 140 nights I've spent in a hotel this year, this downtown Columbus property earns the lowest marks I've ever provided on TripAdvisor, and they deserve it. No food when calling room service, no business center (under renovation...sure!) and after departing at 11 a.m for the day., my room wasn't cleaned. Staff is completely disengaged and gives you a "I understand" comment but do nothing to fix the numerous problems at this old hotel. Go back to your "smart" phones, guys. You'll also know when the room next to you uses the bathroom or takes a shower, which is of course, great entertainment.

While rooms are large and convenient to the center of town, trust me, you'll want to stay at the new Hilton or Hampton Suites by the Arena. This property is an embarrassment to the entire Hilton chain.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank singabob
Robert K, Director of Sales at DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Hotel Columbus Downtown, responded to this review, December 24, 2012
Dear Sir

I am sorry for the poor experience. I assure you this is not the kind of stay we want any of our guest to experience. The hotel is going to have a face lift as our new owners are going to be upgrading our rooms soon. As for the staff faults I would like to talk to you more about them so I can get better details to address them. So please feel free to contact me at the hotel so I may get enough information to pass onto the department heads to correct these issues.

Robert Kapala
Arlington Heights, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2012

My husband and I just stayed at this hotel over the weekend, as we were attending our daughter's graduation from OSU. The check-in staff was extremely nice and helpful and the room was clean and unusually large with a great view. However, we returned to our room (in the evening) after the first day in Columbus to find that our room had not been made up at all. I had to call for some clean towels which they brought up fairly quickly. They didn't appear to be at all shocked and asked us if we had the "do not disturb" sign on our door, which we did not. It it too bad, as I have to say usually cleaning staff can't do enough for you. In fact, I thought it odd that when I called housekeeping, I got an answering machine and then had to call the front desk. We are Hilton members, but I am not sure if we would stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank MOTOKAREN
Thank you for your response.

I am sorry your room was not taken care of like it should have been. Our housekeeping managers and supervisors are not in the office all day as they to are on the floor and after 4 PM our night housekeeper is on the floor and is contacted by the front desk. I would like to get more information on your room so we can address with housekeeping on who missed the room that day and why. So please feel free to contact me at the hotel so I may get enough information. We are always happy to get reviews and I like to address them all good and poor, so thank you in advance for helping us create a better service environment.

Robert Kapala
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2012 via mobile

If I could give negative stars I would. The only plus is the rooms are exceptionally large and the rate is usually cheap. Now for the issues....the lobby, restaurant and hallways smell, no fresh air to be found anywhere....very dated and in need of a huge renovation.....there are NO restaurants nearby and the hotel restaurant is awful and hasn't updated its menu in years....service is indifferent....wait and desk staff need lessons in hygiene, attire and appearance......rooms neither heat or cool well.....Hilton should pull the franchise on this puppy, far and away the worst DoubleTree I have ever stayed in.

Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank RickRem1
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2012

I stayed here because my normal hotel for conferences in Columbus was full. It was very easy to get to from the airport. There are alot of restaurants within walking distance. I do wish they had valet parking. My first room, the lock would not work. I went to the front desk and they gave me another room immediately which worked out perfect. I loved the fresh cookie too. I love the two room suite set up. The restaurant in the hotel was very good and had a good variety. It was very easy to get to my conference and navigate to and from the hotel. I would stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
columbus
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2012

With all the hotels in Columbus to chose from I can save you some time by NOT recommending the Doubletree downtown Columbus OH hotel. First, I checked in I had my hands full with my luggage and my husband's. There was no offer to help and no luggage carts anywhere to be see. I was assigned my room and managed to get all the luggage up to our floor. I opened the door to our room and it was pitch black inside. I got everything into the room and found the light. There was personal stuff belonging to some other guest all over the room. I found the phone and called down to the front desk. When I told them there was someone already in this room they put me on hold. After waiting for them to return to the phone call for awhile, I hung up and called again. They said I had to come down to the front desk again. I told them I was not going to lug all the suitcases downstairs and they had to come up to where I was. In the meantime, the occupant of the room returned and was quite surprised to see me and my luggage camped out in his room.

I was assigned a new room but it was not a King as we requested 3 months ago when we made the reservation. The lady at the front desk was so rude it just made things worse. She said you can request what ever you want but it is just that...a request. Doesn't mean we will honor it.

This is a hotel that allows smokers. Every room smells like a stale ashtray as the smell comes in through the vents in the rooms.

We ordered breakfast to be delivered between 8 AM. It never came. Well, I take that back, I called downstairs to cancel the breakfast as we both had to leave for meetings at 9:00AM. As we were leaving our room for our meetings, there stood the man with our breakfast. One hour late. We told him that we canceled that and we do not want this on our bill.

Walls are so thin you can hear the people next door talking to each other. Our neighbors were up all night and so were we.

Awful service, rude front desk, stale smoke smells and room service when they want to serve not when you request it. Shame on Doubletree.
The

Room Tip: Stay at a different downtown hotel.