“I've stayed in way nicer Doubletree's”

DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Hotel Columbus Downtown
Ranked #61 of 145 Hotels in Columbus
Reviewed October 30, 2011

This DT felt a little dated in my opinion; something reminiscent of older Hiltons. The bathroom smelled awful; like cleaning toxins that just wouldn't vacate the non-ventilated, closed in space. The room seemed drab. The bed was very comfortable, which obviously is the main focus of any hotel. Not sure I'd revisit this location however.

• Stayed: October 2011
Tom S, General Manager at DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Hotel Columbus Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded December 12, 2011

Thank you for staying with us and writing the review about the hotel. I am sorry to hear that your visit was less than you expected. We appreciate your feedback and will review your comments with our staff and management. Hope to see you again in the future.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,275)

Reviewed October 12, 2011

We stayed one night for a wedding and brought our infant son. The rooms were enormous... we had enough space to set up the pack and play, spread out all our things, and put a quilt down for the baby to crawl around on. Everything was clean too. They were very nice about letting us check in early, so we could relax a bit when we arrived.
My complaint is that I booked a rate through the Hilton site that included a gas card. No mention was made at check-in or the following morning. I finally asked about it and they said they were out of cards, and could they mail one. That isn't a problem, why not tell me? I think they would have been happy for me to walk out and lose $25. There were other little things too... no luggage carts, even though the garage is below the hotel and you need to take two elevators to get to your room. No instructions for breakfast or internet at check-in. This all seems like basic stuff.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed September 27, 2011

Recenlty I had the good fortune of staying at the DoubleTree in Columbus. I was part fo a 16 person group...the accomadations were clean, and up to date. The service from the front desk, sales dept, servers in the restaurant, housekeeping - all were wonderful. Our group had many demands with varying check in times, changes to rooms etc, the staff met every challenge with a smile. The attnetion to detail was obvious as the staff did not overlook one item,
KUDOS DOUBLETREE!
Tracy

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed September 26, 2011

We stayed here for 3 nights during the weekend. Our rooms were ok. It is convenient to the Arena district. We will be staying here again in a few weeks for the Marathon (it is right by the start line). We used our Hilton points (my husband is a diamond member). The free breakfast
was ok-service was not great, it should be made into a continental breakfast if the service can't get better. On Friday we left our room a little after 1100 and came back around 4pm-and our room had not been cleaned. We placed the do me not disturb on it as we wanted to rest-and the housekeeping supervisor left a note under our door stating "we did not clean your room due to the do not disturb". I think between 11 and 4 is plenty of time to clean a room.
The positives: very quiet (away from the elevator), front desk very nice, large rooms, and convenient.

The negatives: Our room did not get cleaned. On Saturday our room was cleaned and the shampoo and lotion were not replenished. Service in the restaurant was bad-if you don't have free coupons-skip and find somewhere better.

We will be coming back-only because the Hampton Inn was booked months ago. It would be great if you have a kids.

Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank DavidandKim
Reviewed September 16, 2011

I've been using Trip Advisor for a couple years but this is my first review. I am submitting this review because I got such a great deal for the quality of the room. I booked through Priceline (this is a 3 star hotel in downtown Columbus in their system) and got it for $50/night. After I booked and saw that the typical internet rates are around $120-150. The room is a suite of course and is very spacious. If I had to guess, I'd say it's around 600 sq ft. It's very clean and has everything you need, including two 42" flat screen TVs (one in bedroom and one in living room). The staff was very accommodating even though I booked through Priceline. I asked for a king bed on a high floor with a river view and they gave me just that! The only minor annoyance is the parking issue, as others have mentioned. It's $15/day if you just leave your car and don't come in and out; it's $20/day if you want unlimited in and out. The hotel sits directly across the street from the Ohio supreme court and has other office buildings around. Accordingly, I doubt I could ever get this $50/night deal during the week when business travelers are around. However, if you're in town for a weekend and need a very nice room at a very good price, this is a fantastic choice.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a high floor overlooking the river
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank realguy123
Reviewed August 25, 2011

I was really impressed with the quality of the rooms and the terrific attitude of the staff. We stayed for just one night and we had two dogs with us (miniature and toy poodle). I was afraid we'd end up in a rundown type of hotel since we needed something dog friendly but the Doubletree was great. The pups really enjoyed the treats they received from the front desk staff.
The hotel has a unique set up to reach the lobby - when we left the parking garage and thought we were in the hotel, we found we had to walk down approximately 10 stairs (with our suitcases and dogs in tow) to enter an elevator to go up to the lobby. Also, parking is $15 if you do not want in and out privileges, add $5 more if you do. The cost is tacked onto your room charge.
If you are traveling with pets, this is a good hotel to consider. If your dogs are like mine and are used to using grassy areas, there is a strip of greenery across the street.

Room Tip: Ask for even numbered room - they face the river.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
HotelGM45, General Manager at DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Hotel Columbus Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2011

Thanks for your feedback on your recent stay at our hotel. I'm glad that our property worked out so well for you and your four legged friends! We hope you will keep us in mind should you return to the area. As a side note---if you park in the garage on levels three and above, you won't have to navigate the stairs---you can go right into the elevator from the garage. Thanks again for your input.

Reviewed August 21, 2011

This was my fourth trip to Columbus in two months. Tried a few of the other nearby properties downtown and came out disappointed. Doubletree is not all that much better in looks or feel but at least you get 2 huge rooms with 2 huge 42" LCD TVs and a pretty decent breakfast brought by the friendliest staff that sure brightens your day. The place looks like an episode of an 80s prime time drama, but is it clean and everything, yes, everything works! Given the choice, I'd much rather stay at a foo-foo place but I don't think there's one of those in Columbus. Anyway, my only negative comment, would be that the 2 chocolate cookies I got from the friendliest front desk attendants, were burnt because they keep them in this warming drawer at the reception. Well, I was hungry and they didn't taste all that bad. And I just could not say no to the smiley faces. Checkout was super fast and by the time I made it to the street, the cab they called was right there at 5AM.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank ptbrk

Thanks for your kind words about the hotel and our staff. I'll be sure to share them with the staff mentioned. We're glad you enjoyed your stay and look forward to being your host on your next trip back to Columbus.