“Disappointed poor quality, broken furniture, terrible cable, not impressed.”

Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Columbus West
Ranked #57 of 143 Hotels in Columbus
ohio
“Disappointed poor quality, broken furniture, terrible cable, not impressed.”
Reviewed April 2, 2011

I was looking forward to relaxing weekend in Columbus during a basketball tournament. We paid $99.00 per night and that was a pre-pay in advance no cancellation rate. Had I paid more I would have been livid. The front desk clerk was only luke warm, his customer service was not great. Upon entry to the room I immediately notices the sofa bed/couch was leaning down on one end. Upon further examination we realized it had a broken leg. When we sat in it we all leaned to one side. The kids were unable to hook up their DVD player or game system to the television. The cable only got minimal stations and most were staticy and unclear. Then, when I pulled back the bedspreads both were terribly stained on the backside and one was written on with a pen. GROSS! Took the kids down to the pool and the chlorine was so strong in the pool area my husband and my eyes were burning and we didn't even swim. We could taste it the next day. We took the kids to a movie the next day to avoid the pool. It was almost toxic. We left for basketball games and came back late afternoon and they had not even gotten to our room. Beds still unmade and no clean towels. We tracked down housekeeping to get clean towels and you could not communicate with them, as none of them spoke English. The breakfast buffet was marginal. I suggest you book the Comfort Inn down the street for better quality for the value. Dont recommend!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Toronto
Reviewed February 22, 2011

The hotel location is good. It is close to many restaurants, shops, gas station, however the room needs a bit TLC. Our door's lock requires patience to open with a key card. We had to try several time to finally have the reader recognize our card and let us in. The security hatch was broken. Some of the lights in the room was not working. When we first got there, the room had no shampoo or soap and we got a bottle of cleaner on our bed. The shower curtain was torn in some places.
The room itself is big, it fit all 4 of us nicely. It also has a separate living room with TV (2 TVs in the room) and free breakfast helps start the day. The bed is quite comfy too, it's queen size (not just the full size that you usually get). Comfy pillows and wifi. It's an ok hotel if you just need a place to rest for the night.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank ncip
Key West, Florida
Reviewed January 1, 2011

The only real reason we stayed here was it was properly positioned (Columbus, OH; breaking our trip up in half) right off the interstate and had a larger room than most hotels allow (7 people). For the price of the room, we could have done better, I believe.

It was an OK stay, but *not* one that I would repeat again.

The room was more cramped than I expected and not as clean as one could have hoped for. There was a plastic fork on the floor when we arrived and the carpet was definitely older and needed replacing. The heating units worked but were difficult to get the temperatures right, long term. The breakfast was definitely of the run-of-the-mill ilk (waffles, cold items, along with something that was passed off as eggs and sausage---not edible by my standards, which are pretty accomodating). I went for the cold cereal.

On the positive side, staff at the desk were very friendly and responsive to our request for additional towels. The beds also provided an excellent rest, which is the main reason we were there anyways.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed October 29, 2010

Good: Price.

Bad: Staff, Cleanliness, Amenities, Maintenance.

My wife was attending a week long course in Columbus and I had the week off so decided to come along with our toddler. We went with the cheapest efficiency-type hotels with a pool that we could find ($55.00/nt). Having stayed at Homewood Suites before my expectations were a bit lofty. My mistake. I expected silverware, pots, pans, and utensils to come with the kitchenette. There was a sign over the sink saying something to the order of "available upon request." No biggie. Requested the kitchenware and was issued 2 saucepans, a large kettle and styrofoam plates, cups, and plastic forks and spoons. Have you ever tried cooking with disposable plastic spoons?

Since having our toddler with us we have more trash than the average single couple - particularly smelly diapers. We had accumulated about 2 plastic bags of trash after 1 day so I hung it on the door knob knowing housekeeping was on the floor and proceeded to go to the pool with my son. When we returned to the room our trash was neatly stacked inside the room next to the door. WTF? Wouldn't it be just as easy to throw it in the big garbage bag that's attached to the cart? What do I know though I'm just a customer.

My son and I used the pool/jacuzzi at least once everyday. Both were clean, although the jacuzzi has too much chlorine in it and burned the eyes. Probably better to have too much than not enough though, I guess. Anyway, after our swim we went to the front desk to ask about a late check out since my wife had class until eaerly afternoon. The lady at the front desk bluntly informed us: no. Noon is checkout. We can checkout late for half the daily rate. Now is this unreasonable? It depends on your perspective. If the hotel has no vacancy then I fully understand. Since I kept seein the same 6 guests all week long I am going to strongly assume they were not fully booked. Now, if you have a 1.5 year old you can definitely understand the significance of such a simple courtesy. We are a price conscious family and having elected to save money by staying at the Hawthorn to begin with, we elected to kill time elsewhere.

On the way back to the room from the front desk, the manager (I"m assuming) cornered me and informed me about the policies regarding t-shirts and shoes in the lobby. No offense, but this place is not the Ritz-Carlton and no one was in the lobby. I understand their policies but their staff needs to use a little common sense here. Again, if you have a toddler you'll understand. Put a t-shirt on a wet toddler and then shoes as he's kicking and screaming before heading to the room. Probably not going to happen.

Burnt out light in kitchenette. Took 2-3 days to fix.

Conclusion: If you are only concerned with price and service, cleanliness and quality are not important, then this is your place. If you have kids I would spend the extra $ and go with the Homewood Suites.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank adhayka

Travelers are raving about these Columbus hotels

Springfield, MO
Reviewed August 9, 2010

Rude staff, dirty rooms, and worst of all MY WIFE KILLED A BED BUG IN OUR ROOM! If you value good service and cleanliness avoid this hotel. Your family will thank you.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Ozarkfolks
Culpeper, Virginia
Reviewed July 6, 2010

I stayed in Room 714 and it was big, clean, and comfortable. The staff was friendly and accommodating. I also got a great deal through Orbitz for multiple nights. I only have two complaints about the room. The TV won't swivel so you can watch TV in bed and while the hotel accommodates several hundred people, the dining room only has about 25 seats, so go early. On the plus side, they serve a hot breakfast, which for the price was quite impressive. The hotel has a great location for commuting to OSU, Worthington, and Dublin. I had a nice time there.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank Scriptspring
ohio
Reviewed July 20, 2009

We were very excited to spend the weekend with our kids and grandkids. We reserved the 2 room queen and foldout for the six of us through orbitz . We arrived at noon time and were told too early to check in. We went to cosi and came back after 5 pm only to find out our room was not available. Tony , at the check in desk offered us a room to sleep 4, ( 1 queen and 1 fold out love seat) or a room to sleep 6 for an extra $48. We decided not to stay there and went next door to comfort suites only to find out Hawthorne had charged our credit card and refuse to give us A refund.48 + hours later The front desk at hawthorne refuse to talk to my husband saying " If we were not guests for the night they cannot talk to him". But they do have our money. Orbitze says its hotels problem, hotel says its orbitz problem. Its been so frustrating , I have heard of upgrading but not down grading. We have A call into the corporate office . Its really been A bad experience and A waste of what was to be A nice little getaway.

Stayed July 2009, traveled with family