“Would Stay Here Again”

Ranked #35 of 143 Hotels in Columbus
Macon, Georgia
“Would Stay Here Again”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2012

I drove from Ontario, Canada on my way back to my parents house between Nashville and Chattanooga, Tennessee. After having driven from Ontario, I was ready to stop for a few hours for sleep. This hotel exceeded my expectations, and I was pleasantly surprised. There was a new Bob Evans next door, Wendy's, and Tim Horton's within driving distance, and it was easy to get back on the interstate south toward Cincinnati.

I would say that - the room looked and felt clean - but the shower had a few hairs in it, and the shower curtain liner was mildewed. There was a rip in one of my sheets, and a few stains here and there. Other than that, it was a pleasant and comfortable stay in Columbus.

Room Tip: Ask for 4th floor!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
ConcordHospitality, Manager at SpringHill Suites Columbus OSU, responded to this review, August 24, 2012
joshinnorthGA,
Thank you for staying with us at SpringHill Suites recently and writing a review about your stay on TripAdvisor. We’re glad you chose to stay with us and found our hotel to be a pleasant surprise. It’s nice to hear that we were able to provide a comfortable and convenient stay for you considering your long travels. I will review your comments about the shower with our housekeeping staff and make sure the liner gets replaced. We hope to have you stay with us again the next time you’re in Columbus.

Al Schreiber, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Waxhaw, North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2012

This is a new (only a year old) hotel, so the facilities are very modern. Upon check-in, the coffee table in our suite had a disgusting spill that had hardened...obviously had been there a while and never cleaned? We reported it to the front desk, and the response was, "we'll make sure you are not held responsible." I told them my concern was having it cleaned, not whether I was going to be held responsible (!), as it was gross! They did send someone to clean it while we were out. The bedside table was also dirty, but I wiped it down, myself.

Breakfast on the weekends is from 7 to 10. We got down there around 9:45, and there was no coffee left (none!), and it didn't appear they were planning to make more. As in other reviews here, the breakfast left much to be desired in both offering and in quality. We were on our way out that morning, so I don't know if the coffee was replenished or not.

As some have mentioned here, parking is sparse, especially late at night. The location was okay...there were not any local types of decent restaurants nearby that we could find (a new Bob Evans we "recommended," by the staff, and was right next door, but that wasn't what we were looking for in our visit).

As some have mentioned here, the walls allow you to hear everything from outside in the hall and from adjacent rooms.

Anyway, for the prices charged for a two double-bed suite ($190 and $160 per night!--not during football season or school year), we were pretty disappointed, overall; also, for this to be a Marriott hotel and very new, it just didn't meet our expectations for cleanliness and service.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
ConcordHospitality, Manager at SpringHill Suites Columbus OSU, responded to this review, August 10, 2012
l4grem,

Thank you for taking time and writing a review on TripAdvisor. We value your business and are pleased that you chose to stay with us. All of your comments have been read by me and I will make a point to address each one of them in our next weekly staff meeting. I appreciate you bringing these issues to my attention. As the General Manager, I want to hear the positives as well as the negatives to help improve our guest services in the best possible way. We do hope to earn your business again and provide a more positive experience upon your next stay.

Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2012

I was going to rate this hotel a "4" but before starting I read the previous reviews. Management has responded in prior review to the same type of items that I will write about below ... so it looks like there is a BIG management problem at this hotel, as the items that they said that they would be acting on have NOT been acted on yet.
Breakfast: not sure how they can screw up standard issue Marriott eggs, but they do. It is terribly dry (tip: use the shredded cheese to make it edible). It doesn't matter what time you come to breakfast: your eggs will be dry.
Cleanliness: This hotel is very new. But, I am wondering how long it will look this way. Housekeeping/maintenance is very lax, and there are a number of wear and tear items that this hotel should not be evidencing for their age. I was surprised to see left over popcorn in my ice bucket when I used it the first night, and the carpet had a big stain right as you walked in the room.
Parking: I am not sure how they got zoned for as few parking spaces as they did, but they clearly do NOT have enough parking spaces. We left one morning (one of the few cars not blocked in) and there were twenty+ cars parked along curbs, etc, that obviously were not able to find spaces when returning for the night.
On the plus side, the decor of the hotel is very modern. And, it is close to OSU, but, as someone pointed out earlier, you will need a car to go anywhere. Very close to a shopping center with very good restaurants and department stores.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Orlando, Florida, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2012

Spent one night during a visit to Ohio St campus. The hotel is close enough to the campus, but does require a drive since it is on other side of the river. Not the greatest of neighborhoods surrounding the hotel, but the hotel was nicely kept and secure. Parking is very tight, so don't stay out too late or you may not find a spot. The room was very clean and the service was great. Would stay again next time in Columbus.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Town and Country, Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2012

Brand new Springhill that is super close to OSU campus. We were in town for a weekend tournament and this was very convenient. Restaurants within walking distance but you'd need a car to get to campus where there aren't sidewalks. There's a train that runs close by but it wasn't a problem for me. Front desk staff is very friendly.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Hanson, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2012 via mobile

The whole place needs a vacuum and good cleaning, but if yoy can get past that it was a nice place. Seems modern and fairly new, just needs a deep,cleaning.

• Stayed July 2012
, Manager at SpringHill Suites Columbus OSU, responded to this review, July 13, 2012
Willy101112,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. All feedback is valuable to us so that we can perfect our guests’ experiences. I would like to apologize for the lack of cleanliness you experienced during your stay. Thank you for bringing this to my attention and I will be talking with my team regarding your comments. Again, thank you for your feedback and I hope this experience does not deter you from staying with us in the future.

Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2012

My mother always told me to start with something positive, so here goes. They have nice showers. (ok, so I really appreciate a nice hotel shower), they have good beds and the rooms are spacious. Too bad the walls are made of cardboard. No, wait, even cardboard would be more soundproof. The people next to me we're having a normal conversation and I could hear every word. Also, the air conditioner seemed to be permanently set at about minus twenty degrees. I would reset it higher, but it would then go back to being too cold. Even after turning it off entirely, like magic, five minutes later it would turn itself on. (???) And the breakfast. Now, I knew this wasn't the Ritz, so I had reasonable (ie. low) expectations of this hotel. But when your powdered eggs are barely out of their original powdered state, you know something's wrong. And although they had fresh cartons of milk, they only had Coffee Mate for their coffee (at least until I requisitioned a carton of milk for the coffee maker). But, to end on a positive note: they had fresh bananas. Better option in the area is Hyatt Place on Yard St.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
, Manager at SpringHill Suites Columbus OSU, responded to this review, July 3, 2012
KWH70,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. All feedback is valuable to us so that we can perfect our guests’ experiences. The issues you mentioned will be addressed immediately and I will have our Suite Care Manager perform a review to ensure all rooms meet our high Marriott standards. Again, thank you for your feedback and I hope this experience does not deter you from staying with SpringHill Suites in the future.

Al Schrieber, General Manager