“History served up with gastronomic treats”

Columbus Food Adventures
Ranked #1 of 22 Food & Drink in Columbus
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Columbus Food Adventures offers a variety of exciting and diverse itineraries for our exclusively small group tours (max 15 people). Some tours are conducted via our air-conditioned van, others are led on foot. Columbus Food Adventures currently offers 12 unique and delectable itineraries including a Short North walking tour, a German Village walking tour, a van tour of Columbus’s standout ethnic eateries, a van tour of the city’s famous taco truck scene and a dessert tour featuring some of the sweetest places in town. All tours visit 5 to 7 distinct locations, and every tour includes tastings at each stop (enough to replace one meal). We also offer private tours for 8+ people.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
North Canton, Ohio
31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 58 helpful votes
“History served up with gastronomic treats”
Reviewed August 11, 2014

I am ashamed to say that as someone who has lived their whole life in Northeast Ohio, I have never been to the historic German Village area of Columbus, so when my sister-in-law suggested we come down for the German Village food tour I happily replied "Yes!"
The charming and lovingly restored German Village makes for a beautiful walk. Our guide Julie was both knowledgeable and humorous in her descriptions of the various neighborhoods we walked through and of the restaurants we visited. Our first stop was at the famous Schmidt's German restaurant. I know, you are probably thinking "oh, they sampled schnitzel or german potato salad or other german delicacy", but you would be wrong. One of the things that Schmidt's is famous for is their cream puff which is featured at the Ohio State Fair. We were lucky enough to each get a miniature version of this delicious pastry to start off the tour. Our next stop was elegant Lindey's with it's white table cloths and copper table tops. We were treated to pot stickers, flat bread pizza and an assortment of breads. After having our fill of the delicious food, we were taken on a tour of the restaurant and given a little history of the owner and the building. We walked by the patio and bar that I would have lingered over all day if we had the time. I hope I get a chance to go back and experience it properly. Our next stop was the famous Katzinger's deli with their quintessential pickle barrels. It is everything a neighborhood deli should be. I could have left there with my arms full, but we still had a lot of walking to do. Another stop for a later date. Next stop Pistacia Vera for macaron , their cases were full of mouth watering french pasteries. It was like stepping into a french bakery. Then on to G Michael's for more history on the wonderful brick building and roasted tomato with applewood smoked bacon, basil aioli and champagne vinaigrette on their little terrace. Our final stop was Barcelona for sangria and paella along with a very informative talk by the owner of the colorful history of the building and it's occupants over the years. We exited the restaurant through their award winning patio. This tour takes approx. 4 hours and is well worth the time and is a great way to spend a day.
Note:
In my rush to devour my cream puff from Schmidt's I forgot to take a picture first, but the rest of our "bites" are all pictured.

Visited August 2014
1 Thank SBNorthCanton

54 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 67 helpful votes
“'A Shared Memory Gift' Experience For Any Ocassion'”
Reviewed July 23, 2014

The Taco Truck Tour of the establishments along Sullivant Ave on the westside of Columbus with co-owner 'Andy' was simply put: educational, fun, gastronomicaly tasty and sooo filling! I have a whole new perspective AND appreciation for these entreprenurial delights that I tend to zip by on my way to some of the familiar fast-food-chain drive-thrus I am so familiar with when craving something quick.

These small take-away or dine-on-the-premises restaurants are city-inspected the same as brick-n-mortar establishments and display the 'green' stickers that Iam familiar with.

The people who served me at each of the five (5!) trucks prepared each sample 'fresh' with a handful of homemade sauces and fresh veggies! Service with a smile and customer appreciation, every time! The 5th truck stop included various forms of ice cream and ices. The 6th stop was at a Mexican supermarket, Michocana Mkt AND RESTAURANT located at the former Westland Mall off Georgesville Rd and W. Broad St, west of Hollywood Casino.

No more taco chains for me! I like the Real Deal! Also, the prices are reasonable and whole families can be fed with minimum outlay of cash....

Visited April 2014
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Great diversity with Alt Eats tour”
Reviewed July 14, 2014

At last Friday's Alt Eats tour, we learned about about international food and tried some great restaurants (and foods!) that we never would have found/tried on our own. Andy shared alot of great information and gave recommendations on additional restaurants as well.

Visited July 2014
Newark, Ohio
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“What and amazing afternoon with Andy!”
Reviewed July 12, 2014 via mobile

We did the Food Truck tour and it was amazing! Our guide, Andy was very knowledgeable and friendly and offered lots of great information, not only about the trucks themselves but the community they are in and the process of owning and maintaining the trucks.

Our first stop was to That Food Truck which served up a deliciously smokey brisket in a light and fluffy pancake with maple syrup for dipping! The brisket was spot on and the pancake and syrup rounded it out with its sweetness.

Next stop Ajumama Korean food truck that was in my opinion the best stop. The owner was amazingly friendly and gave us great information about the food. We were served a nice variety of a Pajeon pancake fritter type of treat filled with zucchini, sprouts, pork,chicken, mushrooms and a sesame sauce to die for. We also sampled the kimchi, which was my most favorite thing we tried, and a Bibim ball that is a fried ball of rice and veggies.

Our third stop was RayRays Hog Pit! We sampled some amazing collard greens, rib, Jamaican jerk chicken thigh and brisket. The thing that shined the most for me was the jalapeño BBQ sauce. It was so amazing that I bought a bottle and brought it home.

Fourth stop was to Mya's Fried Chicken. The owner was so appreciative of our business and so down to earth and friendly. He gave us a generous sample of light fried chicken wing drizzled with a vinegar honey sauce, smashed red potatoes with homemade chicken gravy and chicken biscuit slider.

The last and final stop was the Tokyo Go Go. We were served an amazing daikon radish salad, a fried ball of chees and potatoes, a very tasty dumpling and a mushroom fry.

This tour exceeded my expectations and I look forward to trying another one very soon!

Visited July 2014
36 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Such Good Food!!”
Reviewed June 24, 2014

This was a gift for my husband's birthday from our children. We opted for the Short North food tour and did the tour on a Friday afternoon. There were only 4 of us plus our guide. We learned fun facts about the North Market and all about the Short North area (some of which I knew as well as many things I did not know). We tasted food at North Market (Brezel & Pam's Popcorn) DeepWood, LaChocoaholic, Tasi, Rigsby's, and Jeni's Splendid Ice Cream, and we also visited Eleni Christina bakery. The food was fanstatic and we were given generous portions. We have lived in Columbus for over 35 years and this was such a fun way to learn about the city we live in and try new food. Wear comfortable clothes and good walking shoes! Everyone should do this!!

Visited June 2014