“Great hotel near the University” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Columbus University Area - OSU

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Columbus University Area - OSU
Ranked #45 of 142 Hotels in Columbus
Atlanta
“Great hotel near the University”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

I wasn't expecting much from a "Holiday Inn" but this one excelled on many levels. First, the staff were all extremely friendly and helpful. Secondly, the hotel is in a very convenient location to the university and Ohio State Medical Center which is why we were there, and several close by restaurants including Bob Evans and some others. Also, it has a shuttle which take you for free within a two mile radius to other locations. The hotel was clean, had nice design features and felt like a "Hampton Inn" in some ways, others not. They are definitely on the right track but need some improvement, particularly breakfast. Also, we reserved a "one bedroom suite" which turned out to be a long room which included a sitting area with pull out sofa, table and two chairs, fridge, microwave... a bit misleading since no separate room or divider from the bed area. However, it was very clean and the bed was comfortable. Breakfast was subpar. No waffle maker like Hampton and eggs were awful. Not many choices other than cereal and breads, poor selection of muffins, some yogurt. Other than the breakfast, can't go wrong with this property. The staff were particularly well trained and friendly. Thumbs up to Holiday Inn. Now, work on that breakfast!

Room Tip: Be aware that one bedroom suite is one long room. That being said, it has both a pull out sofa and...
    • 5 of 5 stars
HolidayInnExpressOSU, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Columbus University Area - OSU, responded to this review, August 25, 2013
Dear Travelforless,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at The Holiday Inn Express & Suites-OSU and for taking the time to share your wonderful comments. We strive to exceed the customary; We appreciate your kind words regarding our staff, hotel, amenities and location. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon.

Best Regards,

Front Desk Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Greenville, South Carolina, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

Our stay was for a reunion with old college buddies. The location was great for our visiting the campus. Also, close to several campus restaurants. The breakfast was very good.
I was a little surprised that the sheets did not get changed everyday (I always mark them in the corner when I check in to see if they are changed)
The pool looked nice as well as the exercise room - neither of which did we use however.
We happened to pick the weekend of the girls softball world series - they got a little noisy, but not too bad.

Room Tip: Don't stay here when the girls softball world series is happening - a little noisy
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Dear MilesL44,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at the Holiday Inn Express & Suites- OSU your comments are appreciated. I want to take the opportunity to apologize that we did not meet all your expectations and to thank you again for sharing your concerns and these will be discussed with our team for improvement.
We hope to see you again when your in the Columbus- OSu area again.

Best Regards,
West River, MD
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

My son and I recently stayed three nights during a visit to OSU. The hotel lobby and rooms were nice. Beds were fine. Not the worst I have had and not the best. Staff was very friendly. We only had the breakfast once. It was OK, but not good enough for us to utilize on the other days. The issue we had which prevented the visit from being a full five rating is the fact that there were youth sports teams at the hotel at the same time. Kids were running up and down the halls I know at least through midnight. Not sure where their parents/chaparones were at this time. Told front staff after the first night, but once again, the kids were running up and down the halls. I called and they said a bunch of parents are in the lobby and we will address it.

Then after a second night of being kept awake by running children, we were woken up at 4am by people in the room next to us that were so loud it was like they were having a party. They were laughing, talking loud, blared the television and were banging things. I figured they were checking out, but after 45 mintues, I had to call the front desk. I had to blast the AC fan in order to try to drown out the sound. They finally either settled down or left and I was able to fall back to sleep. This is where I beleive improvement is needed. If the hotel is aware of youth groups, they should be periodically checking halls, etc. for extra noice and disturbances. Or, make sure you only put the youth on the same floors, lower floors, and keep other guests away.

• 3 of 5 stars
Thank you for choosing to stay with us at The Holiday Inn Express & Suites-OSU and for taking the time to share your concerns and comments. We apologize for not exceeding all your expectations and your concerns have been discussed with our management team for improvement; we have looked into many options and feel we have come to solution during game seasons. We would love to have you visit with us again when you’re in the Columbus, Ohio- OSU area.

Lafayette, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

We were just looking for a day trip to visit the campus and some surrounding attractions. This hotel was relatively new, and had rooms available at discounted rates, providing reservations were made online at least nine days in advance and provided for no refund if the reservation was canceled. Since it was close to campus and offered a full breakfast which received good reviews, we decided to give it a try. As soon as we approached the front desk, we were greeted by two friendly staff members. They found our reservation and checked us in, complete with information regarding amenities and breakfast, in less than two minutes. After unpacking, we spent an hour or so in the pool area. The temperature of the pool and hot tub were perfect. Also, the hot tub was clean and did not have the chlorine overdose you get at some hotels. After relaxing, we made a trip to nearby Worthington for dinner at the Winking Lizard and stopped for Graeter's ice cream on the way back. The next day involved sightseeing on campus and stopping for souvenirs. The proximity of this hotel to campus allowed us to make two or three short trips rather than having to plan for one long excursion that day. We found everything about this hotel was to our liking and will definitely plan to stay there the next time we're in Buckeye territory.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

A family of 4, we booked one night through a 3rd party travel website; the site confirmed 2 beds, but when we arrived, we were told that the site didn't properly book a 2-bed room, and therefore, only a queen bed was available. I asked the manager "Nathan" if, considering our plight, would the hotel give us a rollaway bed at no charge. Nathan the manager not only refused to accommodate us, he was rude, condescending, patronizing, and wholly unhelpful. It was THE worst customer service I've EVER experienced. When expressing my frustration, I told him that we'd never stay at this hotel again, and his reply was, "Good. I'm happy to hear that." Abysmal experience. This guy should be fired.

• Stayed July 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars
2 Thank TimLohmar
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Columbus University Area - OSU, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Dear TimLohmar,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. I am deeply sorry for the unacceptable service you have received from our staff. I assure you that this is not the norm you should expect from our hotel. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve.

Janice A
Case Manager
IHGCare
Toledo, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

Family of 4 booked a 2 bed room to attend a family wedding. The location was perfect; 1-1/2 mi from Church, 2 mi from The Ohio State University Union where the reception was held. The room was equiped with a wet bar, mini fridge (which we love having children), and a nice sized bathroom. The complimentary breakfast was, in my opinion, very tasty. Eggs, bagels, cereals, juices, coffee, etc....very good. I would definately stay at this location again, especially if attending a game @ OSU as it's very close to campus.

Room Tip: Call ahead to see if you can check-in early; we could but others that attended the weeding could not...
Thank you Mr. P.T.,
We appreciate your kind words regarding our staff, hotel, amenities and location. We strive very hard to provide memorable service to each and every guest; again we appreciate the recognition of a job well done. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon.
Vermilion, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

I travel alot, not sure what else you would possible want or need. HOWEVER...upon my arrival on a THURSDAY mid afternoon, I was told there was no standard rooms. There was hardly anyone around and the parking lot was 1/4 full! I was beat and didn't feel like packing it in and going anywhere else. So I succumbed to a an expensive and the only thing allegedly available, a large unneeded suite. I liked it although something smaller and cheaper would have suited me just fine. Don't know how to prove they didn't have regular rooms and were running a scham, but it sure seemed suspicous to me. Anyway, nice place, hope it was just my mind playing tricks on me. Makes me apprehensive about returning though.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo