New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices
Ranked #45 of 142 Hotels in Columbus
Lima, Ohio
“Hospital Stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

I stayed at this Holiday Inn because it is on of the hotels that give a discount rate if a family member is in the OSU Wexner Medical Center. While I was there I took advantage of the shuttle the hotel provides to the hospital. This was of great help to me and I appreciate the on time service that even included Sat. and Sun. The staff was very friendly, the breakfast buffet was good and my room was quiet and clean.

Room Tip: My room was on the 3rd floor and it was quiet and clean.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank OSUpatient

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

We stayed here while visiting OSU. Very close and convenient to the campus. Check in was great, service was very good. The reservationist was extremely helpful and recommended a few restaurants in the area (which we did go to and it was delicious!) Breakfast was usual, but everything was fresh and kept full. Not too crowded, and area was clean. Room had two queen beds and a sofa, fridge and microwave. Price was extremely reasonable, if not inexpensive. Will definitely be staying here again...since son has decided to attend OSU!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
manav s, Owner at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Columbus University Area - OSU, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Thank you very much for your review. We take great pleasure hosting kind and friendly guests such as yourself. I look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel, and your new home away from home while visiting your son!
Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I have stayed here twice in the past month. We stayed in a 2 bedroom that is very large. The room was well maintained. They have a breakfast buffet in the morning that has something for everyone. I will most definitely stay here when visiting my son at Ohio State again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Saipan, Mariana Islands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

First and foremost, I arrived in Ohio on March 24, 2013. It was a 7,000 plus miles to get to Ohio, over land and sea, covering nine time zones.

From my experience at Holiday Inn Express, two staff stood out from the rest which was Mr. Nathan Harmony and Ms. Angie Coe. Coming from an educational institution that provides enrichment class and workforce development these two proved to be excellent employees. They both provided great customer service, communication skills, just to name a few. They took extra steps to make my stay the greatest experience I've ever had in Ohio.

The hotel was exceptionally well kept, clean, room service was excellent. I stayed in room 207 and it was noting what I expected, it had a microwave, mid-size refrigerator, pretty much all the necessities. The beds were so comfortable, soft linens and great pillows. I woke up with no back pains, enough said:)

With that said, if you decide to travel to Ohio, stay at the OSU Holiday Inn Express on 3045 Olentangy River Rd. I highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Room 207, two Queen Size beds...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Arlington Heights, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

This holiday inn express is great as usual, but what tops the usual greatness is the great service we received the minute we got here! At the cafe the eggs were mixed with pork so they offered to make us regular scrambled eggs, on top of their famous cinnamon rolls... Yummy! I went to the fitness center and forgot my purse there, few minutes later the front desk called me to let me know they have it! The fridge wasn't working in my room and I noticed that the next morning, as soon as I notified the front desk they sent someone to fix it and offered to pay for whatever food I had in it, I refused and I thanked them. Few minutes later the front desk manager called me and said she was gonna reduce the rate of my room for that night for the inconvenience, when I told her she didn't need to do that she said it was their pleasure! Seriously people, great rooms, Wi-Fi, free hot yummy breakfast, indoor pool (small but my kids loved it), fitness center, and great service! This hotel is always gonna be my # 1 choice when I come back to Columbus! Thanks and keep up the good work!

• Stayed March 2013
Charlotte, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

I recently was planning a trip to Columbus, OH for the first time to visit OSU. On 3/18/13 I booked a room at this hotel for Saturday 3/23/13. On Friday 3/22/13, my plans changed and I was going to be in Detriot instead. I immediately contacted the hotel to cancel my reservation. Upon contacting, I was told that my reservation had a 96 hour cancel policy. I found this shocking since most hotels (excluding special events and the advance purchase rates) have a 6pm night of arrival cancel policy. I then asked to speak to the hotel manager at which time I was put on the phone with Angie Coe, the hotel GM. She said that I should have paid more attention to the policies when I booked and that they refused to make an exception to the policy. She offered me to move the reservation which after the fact according to Angie was a generous offer, but I wasn't going to plan another trip to Columbus just for this reason. I was also told at this point that each Holiday Inn is a franchise and has different policies. After hearing this, I asked Angie for her boss and/or the franchisee owners, but she refused to give that information to me - referring me to 1-800-HOLIDAY.

I contacted this number and after speaking to the first person, I was passed on to a manager. This manager did a good job in trying to help me, but he said he could not do anything in the end and it was up to the individual hotel since they are all independently owned. I even mentioned to this guy how it amazes me that companies like Holiday Inn spend so much money marketing and trying to get customers to become brand loyal, but an experience like this can ruin it. He did tell me that if the hotel sold out, they would not charge me the cancel policy (since they would not be out any money). I wasn't happy about this, but it gets worse.

The next night, at about 8pm and 11pm, I checked my hotel app to see if I could make a reservation. Both times, it said "No rooms availalbe" meaning the hotel was sold out. Yet, sure enough - I found a charge from the hotel on my credit card, nearly $200. This means they took my money and resold the room to someone else.

When I made this complaint to the BBB, Angie Coe's response was that the IHG representative never told me that I would not get penalized if they rented the room (or the hotel was sold out) and that her offer for me to move the reservation to another night was basically a generous offer and I declined.

I had become very brand loyal to Holiday Inn over the past two years. Actually, I was about to apply for their credit card. The hotel in Wrightsville Beach, NC is fantastic. However, after this experience, I must say that of course I will never support another Sintel Hotel again (the franchisee owner that I found online of this hotel after Angie refused to give to me), but also will never support another IHG property again. The more I think about it, IHG left me out on a limb with this franchisee owner and didn't support their customer that was brand loyal. So, if I were to do business with them again, I would hate to have to work with people like this in Columbus. It's also sad that I booked a room at IHG in Vicksburg, MS about a month ago for the same night, but was called an hour later by the hotel saying they had no rooms for me. In this case, they obvioulsy cancelled the reservation. Things don't work both ways with this company.

I say all this to make sure you are very careful when booking with this hotel or any other Sintel Hotel. They have uncommon cancel policies and instead of taking care of their customers, they'd rather prove a point on their cancel policy. In my business, I always try to do the right thing. I have a standard two week cancel policy, but have overlooked that many times when it make sense and to take care of a good customer. Experiences like this are very disappointing and while I may never get my $200 back, if I can save at least a few customers from making the same mistake, I'll feel better. In reading the reviews of this hotel on here, I am not the only one having problems. One actually mentioned this 96 hour cancel policy. I only wish I'd read this review on TripAdvisor before booking. Good luck and thanks for listening!

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
8 Thank ddc4ua
HolidayInnExpressOSU, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Columbus University Area - OSU, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post a review about our hotel. We do appreciate both the positive and negative comments that a guest has to share.

While we appreciate that you are a loyalty memeber, that does does exclude you from the policies of the hotel. We have policies and procedures inplace to maintain consistancy and order. When making a reservation the cancellation policy is stated throughout the process.

Again we do appreciate that you took the time to post a review about our hotel.
Rittman
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

My friends and I were attending a P!nk concert at the Schottenstein Center. We were hoping to find a decent hotel within walking distance of the venue so we didn't have to fight the crowded parking areas. The Holiday Inn was beyond what we expected! The gentleman at the front desk was so kind and incredibly helpful. The lobby, as well as our room, was very clean and tastefully decorated. I would definitely stay here again when attending another event at the Schottenstein Center!

• Stayed March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars
manav s, Owner at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Columbus University Area - OSU, responded to this review, March 29, 2013
Thank you so much for your review.. I am glad you enjoyed our hotel and welcome you back anytime while traveling to Columbus for another concert, or just for a weekend get-away. Your reviews help other travelers make great selections while staying in Columbus. Thanks again