“Super staff and very clean.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Columbus University Area - OSU

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Columbus University Area - OSU
Ranked #44 of 143 Hotels in Columbus
Columbus, Ohio
“Super staff and very clean.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2013

Great experience from the moment I checked in. The two ladies that checked me in were polite and helpful. The hotel was very close to the concert we attended and the rooms were beautiful and spacious, not to mention clean. I've tried other hotels in the area and was disappointed but I was relieved when I heard rowdy teenagers running a muck I called the front desk and he quickly took care of it..

Room Tip: Call the hotel directly, more efficient than online booking sites. Those suck.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
HolidayInnExpressOSU, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Columbus University Area - OSU, responded to this review, August 25, 2013
Dear 115WrldTrvlr,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at The Holiday Inn Express & Suites-OSU and for taking the time to share feedback. We appreciate your kind words regarding our staff, hotel, amenities and location. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon.

Midalina Maldonado
Front Desk Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Cleveland, Ohio
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2013

Just stayed at this hotel for two days. Checked my credit card bill when I got home and there was an unauthorized charge in addition to the cost of the room. I called to inquire. A very rude and indifferent front desk clerk stated that “you took two pillows and were charged accordingly.” A false and ridiculous accusation. Who steals used hotel pillows, especially from a Holiday Inn? Think about it. Pretty gross. I then got an email from the General Manager. The story had changed. They now claim that we swapped out the pillows. Yes, you read that right. We swapped pillows! The claim was that we took our “old nasty pillows” and put them in their pillowcases. Yes, the perfect crime. Instead of going to Target and buying pillows for $10 each we drove 150 miles with our “nasty” (as she described them) pillows and swapped them for pillows that thousands of people had slept on and had probably never been washed. The manager said they would credit the charge but she went on to say that she is going to mail me my nasty pillows:) I hope so. I will send them to corporate with her email describing them as nasty. She is describing her own pillows:) I am sure corporate is capable of recognizing their pillows even is she is not. They would probably love to see the nasty pillows she is putting on their beds. This is definitely a low budget operation. They only put three towels in the room knowing there is four people. We had to go to the front desk and ask for more towels. They reluctantly gave them up. The hotel is rowdy and loud. Hard to get any sleep with people running up and down the halls. The beds are like wet noodles. Don't think they care since they are so close to campus.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
7 Thank 115WrldTrvlr
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Columbus University Area - OSU, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Dear 115WrldTrvlr,

We look forward to hearing back from you soon.

Janice A.
Columbus, Ohio
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2013

Beware of this hotel and this general manager. I tried to cancel two reservations well in advance of 24 hours prior to the stay and was informed that the hotel has a 96 hour in advance cancellation policy. However, I was never informed of this at the time the reservations were made nor was it stated on the confirmation email I received, which I forwarded to the general manager and she accused me of "doctoring" the email to delete the cancellation portion of the email which was never there to begin with. So they charged me over $274 total for two nights stay which I did not use. Will never use this hotel again or any Holiday Inn Express ever. Never ever heard of such an outrageous cancellation policy. I think it's a scam and these people, especially the GM, are ripoff artists. Buyer beware.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
8 Thank Anthony R
Dear Anthony R,

First of all, thank you very much for choosing our hotel. I am so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. We hope to have the honor of serving you should your travels bring you to Columbus.

Ferdinand G.
Loveland, Ohio
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2013

This hotel is sparkling clean and the staff is super-friendly. But because it is so near OSU and its many sports facilities, it tends to be rowdy. If it isn't the junior high girls soccer team running up and down the halls careening into doors at midnight, it's the drunken groups of adult sports fans having parties in the room next door at 2 am. I know this sounds cranky, but it's because I just stayed up half the night, fuming in the dark about peoples' inability to think of others. The desk clerk came up several times to ask everyone to pipe down to no avail.

I don't know, really, what hotels can do about this: you can't identify large groups or poorly chaperoned sports teams or party animals through online booking; you can't discriminate against potential guests based on what you think they MIGHT do. I just know this hotel, because of its location, has a problem on weekends. It's a shame because the place is quite nice and the location can't be beat.

Room Tip: Maybe they have a quiet floor????
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank PG58
HolidayInnExpressOSU, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Columbus University Area - OSU, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post a review. We appreciate both the positive and negative feedback from our guests. I am disheartened to hear that you were feeling a little unsafe. The guest you described was being monitored very closely by the hotel staff. Unfortunately we learned that the guest had a disability. We try our very best to treat all of our guests with up most respect. We hope that if your travels bring you back to this area, that you will try us again.
Fresno, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2013

Is this place a hotel or a kennel? I went to checkout of the hotel and not only would the hotel not allow me to checkout one day early... I SEE 1 HUGE DOG and 2 SMALL BARKING DOGS running a muck behind the desk!!! They charged me for the third night and would not refund my money although I was out before 11am. They discriminate against using sites like HOTELS.com who called them to verify my checkout. Any other hotel would has honored this request with no problem, but these greedy, rude people would not. So as I ask them not to charge me for a night dont plan to stay thats when i hear and see the dogs running a muck behind the desk. I ask them if this is a dog friendly hotel (I like dogs but there is a place for them) and they say not for guest and I began to take pics of the dogs because what if someone is allergic... no one anticipates a kennel lodge...but they quickly scrounged to lock the dogs in the office and then threatened to call the police and said not only will they not refund me but the manager was mad and told the clerk to lock my room key as I planned to stay there after the horrible way I had been treated. HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE, DOG KENNEL HOTEL, AND NO RESPECT FOR OUTSIDE BOOKING AGENCIES!!! Stay at your own risk.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank Navronis
We appreciate you taking the time out of your busy schedule to write a review.
We work very well with the Third Party web sites. However, when you go through a third party there are certain rules that apply. Therefore any reservation issues should be handled by that third party. We do our best to accommidate each guest. But there are policies and procedure that need to be followed in a consistan manner.

In regards to the dogs that were on property. We gladly allow pets that are certified and license service animals. We are not a kennel, but can recommend one that is about 20 minutes away.
The back office and private areas of the hotel, are just that.

The only reason that the police were going to be called is because you were causing a scene in the lobby of the hotel that was unacceptable.

Again we do thank you for taking the time to post a review.
Lorain, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2013

First of all, I want to point out what was great about this stay: very clean, very comfortable, spacious room. The mini-frig, microwave and sitting area were nice pluses, as well as the comp parking and wi-fi. the morning comp breakfast was excellent. The heating unit, however, as in many hotels, is EXTREMELY drying so I recommend you purchase some type of mini humidifier. My room overlooked the parking lot. If someone was smoking outside near the front door, you could tell by the odor emanating from the heating unit.The hotel is located near some good restaurants such as El Vaquero and a terrific Japanese restaurant located in the strip mall nearby the hotel. There is also a Kroger's grocery store in this strip mall.
I stayed on the second floor of this hotel for two nights. There was an odd-behaving gentleman staying in the room across the hall from me. I frequently saw him rambling around the property, talking to himself. He seemed relatively harmless until I had to call the police I as he was yelling at the front desk clerk. Why didn't the front desk clerk call the police? What is going on with this property? I am unsure whether I will stay at this hotel again. As a solo female traveler, I didn't feel safe.

Room Tip: Possible safety issues, especially for solo woman travelers.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank purpleknif67
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Columbus University Area - OSU, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Dear purpleknif67,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us your feedback. I am pleased to know that you found our rooms clean, spacious and comfortable. Your comments are highly valuable to us and will assist us in our continuous efforts to maintain and improve the service level we aim for. I can assure you that your comfort and satisfaction are of utmost importance to us and for that please accept my sincere apologies if your stay was negatively affected by the other guest behavior. I appreciate you bringing this matter into our attention as this is our best resource for improving guest satisfaction.

Krysllin G.
Cincinnati
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2013

You may want to avoid this hotel simply because what you've reserved on Holiday Inn's site may not be what you get. As a Platinum Club member, I booked a double bed room at this location two weeks prior to my arrival. Upon arrival, I was told I had a king bed and that there were no other rooms. Not usually a problem, but I was with my 15 year old daughter at her volleyball tournament. No sofa bed in the room. The manager was nice enough to tell me he'd bring up a roll away bed....for $15 a night. Absolutely ridiculous customer service.

Room Tip: Find a hotel elsewhere. If you have to stay here, stay away from any room ending in 08-15 as these...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Cincybearcatfan
HolidayInnExpressOSU, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Columbus University Area - OSU, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to write such a detailed review. I really appreciate your feedback and we take comments both good and bad very seriously.

I do however regret that we were unable to meet your expectations with the room type that you requested. I also regret to say that it dissatisfies me to know that you were inconvenienced with the accomidations. For future reference, please note that a request is just that, a request. We do our best to honor all requests that have been made.

I hope you can understand our reasoning, and I apologize it was not stated to you when your reservation was made.

Also, as a Platinum member I do appreciate your loyalty to our brand, and I would love the opportunity to regain your confidence in our hotel here at the Holiday Inn – OSU area.