“Great service and accommodations” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Columbus University Area - OSU

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Columbus University Area - OSU
Ranked #45 of 141 Hotels in Columbus
Columbus, Ohio
“Great service and accommodations”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

Our organization recently held training at OSU and the Holiday Inn was a perfect choice for our members. The staff bent over backwards from day one to win our commitment to their hotel. The location, new hotel, and most importantly the staff made this an easy choice. We had more than 40 people staying at the hotel and there was not one complaint. In the future we will continue to use this hotel as our host hotel for any trainings in the Columbus Area.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Cleveland, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

I recently stayed at this property for an OSU game. Hotel was built in last 5 years, and is very new in appearance and smell. The staff was very friendly and often greeted you as you walked through the halls. Best looking hotel in the area, with many restaurant (fast and sit-down) nearby. Workout facility was clean and had enough equipment for a quick workout. The pool/hot tub were very relaxing and quiet. The rooms were very clean, and well taken care of. I am Platinum with Priority Club and was give a free bottle of water and snack upon check-in, which is all I really expected for a Holiday Inn Express (sometimes I get nothing at Holiday Inn Expresses).

Breakfast had a good array for a morning after partying. My only concern here was the eggs were watery and cold, and the attendant told me that was because I came down to eat at 9:15am, and the buffet closed at 9:30am. They apparently did not want to refill the eggs or keep them warm since it was the last fifteen minutes. CHEAP.

My only other concern with this hotel was the fact that when I booked, the front desk person told me that they had a shuttle on-site, which I assumed would be good to get to the OSU game. They failed to tell me that they don't run the shuttle on game days. When I told the front desk (day of the game), that I needed a shuttle, they said we don't run those on game days, but I can call you a cab or you can walk (15 minute walk or about 2 miles). I asked why they didn't run the shuttle, and he said because it would take too long to get there and back. It is only 2 miles down the road so gimme a break. I asked the front desk attendant to speak with a manager, as I wanted to be compensated for the taxi ride because I was lied too, since I was getting less services, and I was told they are not available right now, even though one was sitting in their back office with the door wide open. I felt really neglected and that they didn't care that a Platinum member decided to stay there, and was being told indirectly "don't come back to this hotel because the managers don't care about you." Also came across CHEAP to me about the hotel management, after they double their nightly rate for home game weekends. I just don't understand how hotel management could be this CHEAP, and not only make me pay $225 per night to stay there, but then take away amenities that come with the hotel under the normal room rate, and make me pay an additional $15 each way in a taxi. Varsity hotel across the street offered shuttles the whole time.

All in all, this property is a good hotel, but not for game weekends, as they under-staff their shuttle service, and skimp on the breakfast buffet. As a platinum priority club member I expect a higher nightly rate to mean a better hotel with more services, not less. Not sure if I will ever stay at this location again as a result.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
HolidayInnExpressOSU, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Columbus University Area - OSU, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to write such a detailed review. I really appreciate your feedback and we take comments both good and bad very seriously. I’m very pleased to hear that you appreciated the appearance and aroma of our hotel. We put a lot of effort into our cleanliness here and hearing that a guest appreciates that makes the effort well worth it. I am also glad to hear that you were able to take advantage of both our workout facility and our relaxing Spa/Pool area while you stayed with us.

I do however regret that we were unable to meet your expectations with our breakfast service. I also regret to say that it dissatisfies me to know that you were inconvenienced with our shuttle service due to a misunderstanding. For future reference, please note that our shuttle is an amenity that we gladly provide, so long as it’s booked in advance, and it’s not on a weekend or a big event such as a game day. We have this policy in place because of the traffic that is caused during these times that would prevent our driver’s ability to provide this amenity to every guest who requests it, and we just want to be fair. I hope you can understand our reasoning, and I apologize it was not stated to you when your reservation was made. We are still a growing hotel and we hope to improve our shuttle service as we continue on.

Also, as a Platinum member I do appreciate your loyalty to our brand, and I would love the opportunity to regain your confidence in our hotel here at the Holiday Inn – OSU area. If your travels should bring you back to Columbus, Ohio I ask that you allow us a second chance to make up for your last stay. It would be an honor to serve you again.

Jackie Diop
Sales Coordinator
Santa Clara, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

Used to go to The Ohio State University for college and the apartment I used to stay is in close proximity. This HIE never used to exist then (I asked the lady at front and she said they built this in 2010). There are so many hotels nearby and this place is so close to the University, Downtown and the stadium for games. Coming back to the hotel, the rooms are so neat and clean. I got this huge room, elegant looking with excellent painting on the wall. The TV's were new and flat screen. Took care of rooms every day, clean bathrooms, huge space for dresses. Did not get a chance to try their breakfast, but expecting a typical HIE station (not sure though). There are so many food options nearby (literally walking distance); like Subway, McD, Burger King, a Kebab place and Canes (Chicken fingers place, awesome one!). Grocery store 'Kroger' is also few minutes walk from this place. There is public transportation right in front of the hotel that can take you to the University and other nearby places. Since it is a University town, the public transportation is pretty decent. This place is awesome and will come back and stay here if I ever get a chance to go back to Columbus.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Prajod I
Wilimington, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

I have stayed with Holiday Inn in the past and this experience was BY FAR the best!!! The staff was helpful, the facility was immaculate and the other guests were pleasant! A great experience for my first trip to a Buckeyes Game!

Room Tip: The King room with the extra room was very nice! No tv in view of the couch though.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank annehendricks
Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

My son was doing a summer internship in Columbus and we went to visit him for the weekend of 8/4/2012. His apartment was too small and he had roommates so we stayed at this Holiday Inn Express. The location of this hotel is great for doing anything related to the university. It's very close and easily accessible. It is also reasonably close tho the downtown and Short North area which has lots of shops and restaurants. Great place to walk around, buy something unusual and people watch.
The immediate area is not so aesthetically pleasing but the hotel is attractive, very clean, the rooms really spacious and the free breakfast was great and restocked often. The staff at check-in and check-out were very friendly. If there was one improvement that could be made it would be mattress quality. It wasn't bad at all, just not as nice as some chains are using now.

Room Tip: Our room was on the second floor facing the main street. This put the roof for the entry right in fr...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank beachamie
Chagrin Falls, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

I stay here frequently, since I work for OSU but I live in Cleveland. The hotel is spotlessly clean everywhere, even the elevators and it is very quiet. The rooms are large and comfortable. The staff at the desk is efficient and polite, they will take care of everything. The breakfast is always good. When I travel other places, I always miss this hotel, because they are never as good, not even the big Hiltons. No joke, when I walk into my room I literally say "Ahhhhh...."

Room Tip: Room on the end of the hallways by the windo seem bigger.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Lori S
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012 via mobile

Went up for the fair. Was very near OSU and close to fairgrounds. Excellent from the time we walked in. Friendly staff, very clean room and hotel. Nice hot breakfast. Pool and hot tub well maintained.

• Stayed August 2012