“A book lover's dream”
Review of Book Loft

Book Loft
Ranked #3 of 45 Shopping in Columbus
More attraction details
Owner description: One of the largest bookstores in the country, it has expanded to 32 rooms and now contains nearly 750,000 books.
Reviewed March 18, 2013 via mobile

Reading some of the reviews for this place leaves me confused. Claustrophobic and cramped? I suppose, if you are plagued by a fear of hallways this isn't the place for you. But if you love getting lost in a good book. .. this place is perfect. I wondered around for 2 hours. I loved turning another corner to find more aisles of books. They have used every inch of available space and filed it with books at great prices. I think you would have a difficult time searching for a specific book if it wasn't a current or recent best seller but if you like to browse, you'll love it. It didn't Smell moldy as some have said but it smelled like books. This is not a big chain, retail, souless, box store with an over priced coffee shop. It's better than that. Ill be making the 4 hr drive back to Columbus to visit again.

All reviews
in 3 reviews
"different sections"
"great place to explore"

Reviewed February 26, 2013

This place is fantastic. It is the most exciting book store I have ever visited. The selection is phenomenal. It is a bit like a maze, but that is half the fun. Any book fanatic will enjoy!

Reviewed December 31, 2012

Wonderful place for the book lover! It has room after room of books, however it's not for the closterphobic. So many books to choose from you just won't know where to start. There were so many rooms that I lost my husband. :) Wonderful place!

Reviewed December 29, 2012

Though I live almost two hours away, I have made a pilgrimage to Book Loft at least twice a year for thirteen years. There are a few things I could complain about: lack of parking, expensive books, and unfriendly employees. However, forget all of that because this place is magical. You can feel it when you walk through the gate and up the German brick steps. This place is for the wanderer, the true lover of books. People complain about it feeling claustrophobic. When I'm there, I feel nestled and secluded in the stacks. Each room houses a different genre with some sections no bigger than a closet. I would suggest first time visitors print off a map and coupons from the website. The room numbers hang from a string on the ceiling of each room to prevent getting lost. Sale books are outside, but can be found in the stacks too. I am a teacher and the adviser of our literary club, so I decided to take a field trip here around five years ago and again last year. Students loved it both years! Sometimes I check out the shops, grab coffee nearby, get a bite to eat, and even walk down to the park to watch the ducks. This is truly one of my favorite places on earth.

See more reviews
Reviewed November 25, 2012

A wonderful -- though a navigable -- warren of books, books, and more books, the Book Loft in Columbus is a place for bibliophiles to get lost in. Their travel and film sections (the two areas I know the most about and therefore the ones I used to measure a book store) were absolutely top-notch, and the design of the store itself is worth checking out even if you don't plan on buying anything.

In a town that (no offense to Columbus) doesn't have that much to occupy your time, the Book Loft absolutely deserves a spot on your itinerary.