“GREAT LOCATION FOR DOWNTOWN COLUMBUS OHIO” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Join RediCard-Free Nights
Ranked #16 of 142 Hotels in Columbus
Massillon, Ohio
“GREAT LOCATION FOR DOWNTOWN COLUMBUS OHIO”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2010

Stayed here for Red, White and Boom for two nights. Nice hotel, safe location, went through the web for the rate. Good check in, clean, contemp. style, request fourth floor or higher, and ask for room at end of the hall. Had two windows in room, which made for a great view of downtown, "that was neat." Near German Village, a must to see. Also, Short North, Arena District, and Brewery District is in five minute walking distance. Other hotels near by to drop in for breakfast, lunch, dinner. Max and Erma's, next door. NEGATIVES, no bar, don't fret, plenty around. Limited continental breakfast, I mean limited. Coffee, tea, danish, a litttle friut, muffins in wrappers, yougurt, ten dollar parking per night, not bad though for downtown. Overall, I would stay again, great for walking around the town. Just eat breakfast somewhere else. Cheaper and just as nice than staying across the street at the Convention Center.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars
redroof262, Manager at Red Roof PLUS+ Columbus Downtown-Convention Center, responded to this review, July 21, 2010
thanks for your comments about our hotel. glad you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again soon. our renovation will be done by the end of August, 2010.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
Bloomington, Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2010

That basically says my feelings. This is the “bargain” hotel of the convention center area and is close to Downtown, Arena District and Short North. So, you've got plenty of restaurants, bars, etc in easy walking distance.

I’ve been coming to Columbus about once a year for 10+ years and have stayed here many times (and at least 3 of the other convention center area hotels). In my experience, they have the lowest room rate of the hotels around the convention center and the saving is greater if you're driving; their parking charge is much lower than most of the other options (especially the valet rates at the nearby hotel options).

Check-in was smooth as silk as was check-out. That’s about all the interaction I had with the staff (no other reasons). I’ll just add that I can’t imagine how the other reviewer could spend 20 minutes looking for the parking lot, you can literally see it from the front door. (And, if I remember correctly also the big sign which says “Red Roof Inn Parking,” but maybe the sign was added after his/her stay.)

The remodel continues, 1st floor (meeting rooms?) were being worked on while I was there, but with one exception, the work didn’t cause any disruption or bothersome noise. The exception was a water outage for the entire hotel. It didn’t cause me a problem as management had posted warnings in the elevators the day before and scheduled it for the middle of the day.

The remodeled rooms are definitely nicer than the old ones (can’t say if all are remodeled yet or not), but remember this is still a Red Roof Inn. Yes, you've got a flat screen TV now (at least I did), but it's not a Hilton, Hyatt, Sheraton, etc.

I do find it a little strange that for all the time, money & effort going into the remodel that a lot of little things seem to have been overlooked. Some of these could easily have been addressed as part of the remodel, others would just be a matter of allocating the upgrade dollars into things other then the physical plant.

To briefly recap:

Pros:

Close to convention center and (generally/always?) the lowest price.

Least expensive parking in the area.

Newly remodel rooms (not sure if everything is done yet).

Free breakfast (but more on this later).

Free wi-fi (but more on this later).

In-room fridge, microwave, iron & coffee maker.

Cons:

Linens/bedding: Bed was so/so to bad (clearly wasn’t part of upgrade or hadn’t happened yet). Had my wife been with me (who likes a cold room for sleeping), I would have froze to death - the blanket & bedspread were the thinnest I’ve ever seen in anything but a Motel 6 - come on guys, I don’t expect a down comforter, but I shouldn’t be comparing your bedding to Motel 6.

Clearly lots of money was spent on the remodel, you couldn’t have gotten *new* (and better) showerheads?

Nickel & dime charges (you had a separate charge in my room for the safe which I didn’t use?), maybe this was just a breakout charge, but I don’t think so.

The wi-fi is now free, but reception can be spotty. It was fine in the lobby area, but I was on the 7th (top) near the elevator. The reception there was never good and occasionally nonexistent. If being "close" to the the lobby area was a plus, I can't imagine the entire 7th floor has wi-fi reception.

Yes, breakfast is free, but it’s really just drinks & packaged muffins, etc (not a problem if you know that’s what you’re getting, but if you're not aware that's what it is . . .)

As for the bottom line, would I stay here again? Yes. Would I automatically choose the Red Roof Inn when I want to stay in the convention center area? No, I would see what else is available, compare rates & amenities, etc. before deciding on where to stay.

hlo

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 4 of 5 stars
redroof262, General Manager at Red Roof PLUS+ Columbus Downtown-Convention Center, responded to this review, June 30, 2010
thank you for your detailed review of our hotel. We always appreciate what our guests have to say about their stay. our renovation project will be completed by the end of August. We hope you will return and experience our many improvements. comments from our guests help us to continue to improve our services. thank you again!
Upper Sandusky, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2010

Attended a conference at the convention center, stayed at the Red Roof for two nights. Was able to obtain a coupon code on the internet - so I got it even cheaper than the conference people were able to get it for. Newly redecorated~!! Very Nice!! In room coffee had little to desire but they imformed me they are changing to a different brand soon. Continental Breakfast was decent..... muffins, bagels, toast, coffee, juices

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
Buffalo, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2010

I can't say enough about how wonderful our stay here was. Our convention was at the Hyatt, but we didn't want to pay triple the cost per night for our room. Our room at the Red Roof Inn was less than five minutes from our conference venue, and a lovely a.m. and p.m. walk.

The room was spacious, clean, had a safe, a refrigerator, a microwave, iron, ironing board, hair dryer, flat screen tv and free wifii connection. What more could we ask for from a room! Plus we got a AAA discount on top of the already low rate!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank Jamie S
Houston, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2010

The staff were great, from the shuttle driver who picked me up at the airport, to the folks who answered the phone when I called with some questions, to the desk workers and the attendant at the breakfast bar.

The remodeled rooms look fantastic (I stayed in 701), and I wish I could have spent more time in the room. Widescreen TV, nice work area, fridge, microwave.

But I fear they spent too much of their remodeling budget on the designer. The beds were hard foam and low to the ground. The pillows were lumpy. It was a quiet night, despite the fact of lots of well-behaved teens in the hotel for a youth conference. But I had a rough night's sleep because of the bed.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
Bloomington, Indiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2010

We showed up at 2:30 and check-in was at 3. We were given HORRIBLE directions to their off-site parking garage and drove around for 20 minutes looking for it. We ended up stopping at the Crowne Plaza and a worker there ended up getting directions for us. Ridiculous. Then we went back at 3:30 to check in and were told our room wouldn't be ready for another 45 minutes. After arguing with the front desk attendants, we were told we'd get the next available room, only to watch several other groups get rooms before us. The front desk people were not apologetic and blamed it on the fact that it was "the busiest weekend in Columbus." Too bad!!! When someone expects to check in at a certain time, you make sure that rooms are ready by that time. I will NEVER make the mistake of staying at a Red Roof Inn again.

• Stayed April 2010
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
redroof262, manager at Red Roof PLUS+ Columbus Downtown-Convention Center, responded to this review, March 15, 2010
As the General Manager of this location, I appreciate your comments and I want to personally apologize for the bad experience that you had at our hotel. Please contact me at i0262@redroof.com, so I can discuss this issue and follow up with corrective measures. I look forward to hearing from you.
Again,
I do sincerely apologize,
Ken
Kane, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2010

Visited Columbus for a concert and I was so thrilled with the quality of this hotel for the price. It is quite modern and fairly recently remodeled. The staff was very friendly and helpful. It was also conveniently located so we could walk a few blocks to the Nationwide Arena for the concert.

Stayed October 2009, traveled with family