“Good value for a budget” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Join RediCard-Free Nights
Ranked #16 of 142 Hotels in Columbus
Cleveland suburb, OH
“Good value for a budget”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2009

I stayed 3 nights in early April 2009 for a conference at the convention center. This hotel does NOT have covered access to the convention center so bring an umbrella just in case. Parking lot is across the street and does have in/out privileges, but is not covered and spaces are VERY TINY, so big trucks/vehicles took up a space and half and parking was getting scarce when I checked in around 9 p.m. My room had a great view of Nationwide Blvd.- I booked the junior suite so I would have wireless internet access included. You have to go get an internet access code card every day though which was not a big deal, but not as convenient as all inclusive internet access. The suite was spacious with LOTS of room and king-size bed. Wet bar area with sink and small fridge. Room seemed clean, but upon my initial entry to room, there was an overwhelming smell of cheap mens cologne- so much so that I hesitated to stay in the room for fear there was someone already in the room. I even looked under the bed and couch to be sure! The odor lingered for the first day or so but seemed to dissipate after running the air conditioner/heater- or maybe I just got used to the smell. It wasn't that offensive, but very noticeable. Perhaps it was a fumigation smell of some sort? It did not trigger my asthma. The room showed some wear/tear, but nothing extensive. There was no desk area which made using my laptop challenging when I had to do work because I had to hold it on my lap while sitting on the couch or bed. The restaurant next door (shares parking lot) is AWESOME- highly recommended for a good dinner. Overall, this is a great location for the price if you need a last minute booking- within walking distance to everything. I still prefer the Drury Inn & Suites across the street because they offer a hot breakfast and nightly manager's reception plus covered parking & access to the convention center as well as internet included and an indoor pool. I would consider booking at this Red Roof if my first choice is not available.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2008

This property is one of the few reasonable options in an over-priced downtown hotel market that tops the sky high rates with a 16 to17 percent room tax (to add insult to injury). This property is not your typical off the interstate Red Roof Inn. It's a quiet high rise near downtown and walkable to the very trendy Short North District (great restaurants there). The negatives: the coffee is undrinkable (in the breakfast room) and there are no coffee machines in the rooms. Walk to the nearby Crowne Plaza coffee bar for your coffee (a block away).

• Stayed October 2008
Grand Rapids, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2008

I stayed here for two nights while attending a conference across the street at the Columbus Convention Center. I was very satisfied with most aspects of the stay, beginning with the price of the room, which was nearly half that of the conference hotel, even including the "conference discount"!

The room was large and clean, and surprisingly quiet for being downtown in a large city. The beds and other furniture were clean and comfortable. The television had one of those huge remote controls with a thousand buttons for everything from shopping to internet to (maybe) watching TV. There was no channel listing provided and I didn't think to call the front desk; I just surfed until I located the channel I wanted.

The bathroom was also clean and nice, except that the provided shampoo came in a tear-open packet. These are difficult to use and they spill when you set them down. If anyone else had been staying with me, there would not have been enough for two people. I also did not get a second packet for my second morning.

I had some difficulty locating the hotel, since it is set back from the road and the sign is a little too demure. I was looking for something bright red like the logo when it was just a tasteful brick thing with the name of the hotel. Parking is not free. You can park for ten minutes outside the front door, but after that you have to move your vehicle to a controlled-access lot across the street which costs $10 per day, added to your room bill. I'm not too upset about that, since it was good to have parking so close to the hotel, but I didn't realize it was going to cost extra until I got there, and so that was a surprise.

The free breakfast was hideous, but sometimes you get what you pay for. There was a choice of pastry or muffins, each individually wrapped in plastic so I felt that I was eating from a vending machine. There was no hot water for tea-making, but there was a strange machine that made various coffee drinks. There was also a machine dispensing three different fruit juices. That was absolutely all. Throughout the day, the television in the breakfast room blared FoxNews loudly, which was annoying. Luckily, there are many good restaurants in the area that serve breakfast (including the food court at the convention center) and I would recommend eating at one of them instead.

The staff was efficient and friendly during my stay. Everyone at the front desk wore nice business clothes, including the manager who strolled through the breakfast area asking everyone how they were doing. The elevator was fast and silent, so that was also a plus.

• Liked — Great location and great price!
  • Disliked — Breakfast offerings were terrible.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
Oak Park, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2008

I travel extensively, and this is one of only two hotels I've stayed at in recent years that CHARGES FOR INTERNET! While the front desk warmly informed me that if I'd booked a "business class room," I'd have free internet (a lot of good that did mid-evening!), I was forced to purchase a $9.50/day temporary pass from T-Mobile Hotspots. Worse, they tried to mark the price up at the front desk.

Adding insult to injury, the hotel charges $10/night for parking. While I'd expect this in a large or dense city, the extra charge seemed inappropriate for the hotel's location. Incidentally, the paid parking is across a 6-lane road and a grass median strip.

• Liked — clean and quiet
  • Disliked — charged for internet and parking
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank klb365
columbus
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2008

The staff at the front desk were curtious. The room that was reserved did not have a view of the city. I went to the desk and though it was busy they switched my room. The room was clean. The only fault with it was that the pillows had a not so plesant odor (BO) to them. Upon my departure there was some miscomunication. The room was to be put on my bosses credit card. The staff was aware of that when I checked in. When I went to leave they said he checked out of his room,( I knew that ) and that they did not have his credit card number. They said that I would have to put it on my credit card since we were unable to reach him on his phone.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
Milwaukee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2008

Great location, great price. We haven't had any problems with cleanliness or service. The staff have been helpful, and the location is perfect for accessing the convention center and many nearby restaurants, markets, and bars.

Stayed April 2008
Sanborn, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2007

This is the second time we have stayed at this Red Roof. [see previous review] Again we were satisfied with the room and cleanliness. If my wife is satisfied with the cleanliness, it must be clean. It still is a good bargain when attending events at the convention center. Just a short walk saves a lot of money. The only downside is the breakfast -- only packaged pastries and bagels, no cereal. The coffee is from a new fancy machine that has many flavors, but it is instant coffee and not "real" coffee. We would stay there again in the future, but just eat breakfast somewhere else. The money we saved would buy breakfast elsewhere.