First, the hotel IS in walking distance to the Arena District -- but it is quite the hike. We picked the hotel because it was 'close' to the concert venue, but we passed many other hotels that were closer in proximity. We were so far from the Arena District that it wasn't even listed on the handy pedestrian street map signs located around the hotel. Luckily, walking around vacant downtown Columbus in the middle of the night is pretty safe and we made it back to the hotel without incident. Based solely on location, we would not stay at this hotel again if we're only in town for a concert.
Second, I was not impressed with the service I received at the hotel. We booked the romance weekend getaway package directly from their website and not a third party room reseller. We were promised champagne, breakfast and late check out. At check-in we were told that the champagne would be right up. We sat in our room - captive - for about 45 minutes before the champagne made it up. We just wanted to leave the room and grab some dinner, but we had to stick around because 'the champagne would be right up.' The next morning, I called the front desk to ask what time our late check out was scheduled for. The associate on the phone was quite rude and told me a late check out was not in my "portfolio." I explained that I booked the package with the late check out and she said that they could not honor it because the hotel was overbooked. At this point I was upset and ready to walk down to the front desk to show them my reservation on their website. The ONLY reasons we booked the hotel was for closeness to the concert venue and late check out. Finally, the woman on the phone relented and told us we could stay until 1pm, but if we did not check out by then we would be charged for an additional day and the rate she quoted was double what I paid for the room. Displeased with the service I received, I left the room by 11am -- which was too late for the breakfast we were promised. Based solely on the rude associate, we will not stay in this hotel again.
Third, I hate to leave a negative review because I am not a negative person, so let me list the things that were 'good.' Our room was neat and clean (though I was turned off by the $12.95 internet usage fee). I really liked the Aveda products stocked in the bathroom. The staff in the bar were friendly and quick with the drinks.
I would not recommend this hotel to a friend. Sorry.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Relax in over 400 luxurious Columbus hotel rooms with upscale amenities and contemporary styling while enjoying stunning views of downtown. Let the colorful art of local artisans guide you to the rooftop terrace for relaxation in a uniquely urban poolside oasis. During your stay, explore top attractions from this hotel in Columbus, OH near Nationwide Arena, Columbus Convention Center, and The Ohio State University. Tantalize your palate at Latitude 41, a Dean James Max destination restaurant using local products and naturally-raised meats to create uniquely-simple dishes, or wind down with bar selections at the chic and vibrant Bar 41. For exclusive gatherings, enjoy a Columbus, OH hotel with tastefully renovated indoor and outdoor event space that provides an ideal backdrop for business functions and wedding celebrations. Feel the energy of the state's capital at the Renaissance Columbus Downtown Hotel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Marriott, Travelocity, Booking.com, Priceline, Expedia, Orbitz, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets, Hotwire, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Renaissance Columbus Downtown Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Columbus Renaissance Hotel
- Renaissance Columbus Downtown Hotel Ohio
- Columbus Renaissance