I stayed at The Columbus for the Nationwide Better Health Columbus Half Marathon and have never stayed in downtown Columbus prior to this trip. The hotel was very nice. Typical full service hotel. The forced valet parking is slightly annoying. The lobby area is nice with plenty of places to sit around the bar.
When I went to my room for the first time, I though you would be able to hear people from the other rooms because as I was unlocking the door to my room, I could hear people yelling while watching football across the hall. Normally I wouldn't care because it was a Saturday in the fall during college football season ... in Columbus, Ohio, but knowing the Buckeyes were on later that night at 7pm and I had planned on going to bed early with the race the next morning and was slightly concerned I would later hear them yelling keeping me awake. I never did hear anyone again (then again, the Buckeyes didn't play well that night against Wisconsin, essentially negating any early cheering).
The beds were very comfortable, everything in the room appears to have been renovated not long ago. The bathroom is slightly small and the shower door only covers 75% of the opening to the shower and is in a fixed position (no sliding door, no door that opens) so that was just an unusual design and you just had to move the shower head down so the water wouldn't leave the shower area. Nothing is/was wrong with the "door," it's just how the glass wall for the shower is designed.
HDTVs in the room, but they didn't not offer HD channels. You could see the Columbus Dispatch sign from my room and a rooftop pool several floors below me... there was a wedding taking place poolside late in the afternoon that day... as someone swam in the pool.
Even in the early morning with people coming and going for the marathon, my hallway on the 16th floor was quiet.
One disappointing aspect to the hotel was the fact that clearly most of the people staying there that weekend were there for the race because they were participating in the race. So what does the hotel do in the morning? Sell bananas for $1, bagels for about $1.25 and bottled water. Really? Just give away free bananas. I can see maybe charging for the bagels, but come on. There didn't seem to be many takers. I already had my own stash of bananas and my friend tried to sell the hotel one of my bananas because he wasn't going to eat it. The hotel did not make the purchase.
In the defense of the hotel, with so many people in the lobby in the morning because of the race, I'm sure they didn't want to have non-guests "eating" for free - thus the charge.
Later, while waiting for my friends to come down and check out, a homeless person came in the lobby seating area asking for money. I wasn't concerned in this situation for my safety, but it seemed like for being a nice hotel, they might have someone not working behind the desk monitoring the "security" of the lobby. Maybe the hotel does have someone to do this and it was so quick, they did not catch the situation.
Overall, it was a great stay and would stay here again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Relax in one of more than 400 luxurious Columbus, Ohilo hotel rooms with upscale amenities and contemporary styling at Renaissance Columbus Downtown Hotel. Our ideally located hotel in Columbus, Ohio offers stunning views of downtown. Let the colorful art of local artisans guide you to the rooftop terrace for relaxation in a uniquely urban poolside oasis. During your stay, explore top attractions from our ideally located hotel near Nationwide Arena, Columbus Convention Center, and The Ohio State University. For exclusive gatherings, enjoy tastefully renovated indoor and outdoor event space that provides an ideal backdrop for business functions and wedding celebrations. Feel the energy of the state's capital at Renaissance Columbus Downtown Hotel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Marriott, Travelocity, Booking.com, Orbitz, Expedia, Priceline, Hotels.com, Hotwire, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your Renaissance Columbus Downtown Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Columbus Renaissance Hotel
- Renaissance Columbus Downtown Hotel Ohio
- Columbus Renaissance