“Very nice hotel, but quiet neighborhood at night”

Renaissance Columbus Downtown Hotel
Ranked #33 of 146 Hotels in Columbus
Reviewed October 26, 2010

I stayed at The Columbus for the Nationwide Better Health Columbus Half Marathon and have never stayed in downtown Columbus prior to this trip. The hotel was very nice. Typical full service hotel. The forced valet parking is slightly annoying. The lobby area is nice with plenty of places to sit around the bar.

When I went to my room for the first time, I though you would be able to hear people from the other rooms because as I was unlocking the door to my room, I could hear people yelling while watching football across the hall. Normally I wouldn't care because it was a Saturday in the fall during college football season ... in Columbus, Ohio, but knowing the Buckeyes were on later that night at 7pm and I had planned on going to bed early with the race the next morning and was slightly concerned I would later hear them yelling keeping me awake. I never did hear anyone again (then again, the Buckeyes didn't play well that night against Wisconsin, essentially negating any early cheering).

The beds were very comfortable, everything in the room appears to have been renovated not long ago. The bathroom is slightly small and the shower door only covers 75% of the opening to the shower and is in a fixed position (no sliding door, no door that opens) so that was just an unusual design and you just had to move the shower head down so the water wouldn't leave the shower area. Nothing is/was wrong with the "door," it's just how the glass wall for the shower is designed.

HDTVs in the room, but they didn't not offer HD channels. You could see the Columbus Dispatch sign from my room and a rooftop pool several floors below me... there was a wedding taking place poolside late in the afternoon that day... as someone swam in the pool.

Even in the early morning with people coming and going for the marathon, my hallway on the 16th floor was quiet.

One disappointing aspect to the hotel was the fact that clearly most of the people staying there that weekend were there for the race because they were participating in the race. So what does the hotel do in the morning? Sell bananas for $1, bagels for about $1.25 and bottled water. Really? Just give away free bananas. I can see maybe charging for the bagels, but come on. There didn't seem to be many takers. I already had my own stash of bananas and my friend tried to sell the hotel one of my bananas because he wasn't going to eat it. The hotel did not make the purchase.

In the defense of the hotel, with so many people in the lobby in the morning because of the race, I'm sure they didn't want to have non-guests "eating" for free - thus the charge.

Later, while waiting for my friends to come down and check out, a homeless person came in the lobby seating area asking for money. I wasn't concerned in this situation for my safety, but it seemed like for being a nice hotel, they might have someone not working behind the desk monitoring the "security" of the lobby. Maybe the hotel does have someone to do this and it was so quick, they did not catch the situation.

Overall, it was a great stay and would stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with friends
ngrah310, General Manager at Renaissance Columbus Downtown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 28, 2010

First, we hope that you enjoyed the marathon! Congratulations! Second, thank you for your recent review. At Renaissance we have the greatest concern and respect for every guest’s safety. Our downtown location can sometimes mean extra street activity, as much as we try to contain it. We value your comments and have shared your feedback with our security supervisor to improve our opperation. Should you wish to discuss you experience further offline, please contact myself, or another member of our management team directly at your earliest convenience. You can reach me at (614) 228-5050.

Warm regards,

Geri Lombard – General Manager

Reviewed October 25, 2010

I had heard that Ohio is the #1 state for bed bugs: now I know why. We found one mite clinging to my skirt in the closet in addition to one smashed on the hallway floor. After bringing the "still alive" one to the front desk, we switched our room to another floor. However, after settling in, I went to wash my face and one scurried across the granite in the bathroom. I am a pediatrician and have diagnosed bed bugs before, and staying with us was my father (a toxicologist); they were all bed bugs. We were in a bad situation since we were at that specific hotel for an event, and needed to put my 1 year old to sleep during the event that evening, and thus forced to stay there. We ended up moving into my parents room that seemed to have no bugs, and they were moved to another new room (nice grandparents, huh?). No compensation for our troubles, worries, room, or huge dry cleaning bill upon returning home.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank mitesandbugs

Thank you for your review on October 25th. We regret to hear about the experience you had at our hotel. Renaissance and Marriott hotels have the greatest concern and respect for every guest’s experience. We take hotel hygiene and cleanliness very seriously. As a result, Renaissance has established very strict standards of cleanliness for all its hotels that either meet or exceed public health department regulations, including pest control.

I would be remiss, however, if I did not mention that our investigation into the events are slightly different than your account. Your original guest room was sealed and inspected by a third party sanitary team after your move. They did not discover evidence of bed bugs, but they did find a carpet beetle which is similar in appearance, but harmless to humans. As a full precaution the room was treated immediately and fully inspected prior to being reopened.

We would like to discuss the matter directly so that we can work towards a suitable resolution and restore your faith in our hotel and service team. Please contact myself, or another member of our management team directly at your earliest convenience. You can reach me at (614) 228-5050.

Warm regards,

Geri Lombard – General Manager

Reviewed October 19, 2010

The Renaissance is perfectly located in the heart of downtown Columbus. It has great access to the Arena District, the German Village, and the Short North neighborhood. The service at the front desk was stellar and the room was spacious, clean and modern. The downside of the hotel is that it's pretty dead downtown Columbus at night. There is nowhere to get a drink at a 7-11 or anything of that nature, so you overpay for a bottle of pop. The parking, also a product of a downtown hotel, is very expensive at $23 a day for forced valet (thus a tip) service. I got a deal on priceline which made the price of the room more than reasonable. Lastly, the price of $10.95 a day for wifi access is way too much.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank tdsuperstar
Reviewed October 13, 2010

This is a very nice hotel in a great location. They met all of our expectations and it is very clean. We were in town for a concert at Lifestyle Community Pavilion. We were able to walk to Riverwalk, get a nice dinner and walk to the concert, too. The next day, we got a nice breakfast sandwich at a deli outside the hotel. We brought the sandwiches to the lovely roof deck and enjoyed our coffee. Very relaxing. Also, the bar in the lobby has an awesome Chihuly glass chandelier. AWESOME touch.There was a gorgeous art and folk music festival on the streets outside all weekend. What a great city. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 11, 2010

Not a great experience. We are Marriott Rewards members and booked a King bed for a relative's wedding. We were given 2 queens...no big deal. Except it turns out the room was adjacent to the elevator shaft, or machinery, & every time someone used the elevator, it sounded like a semi truck was driving through the room.They moved us the next night in to a different room. In this room we could hear every word the people next door were saying. The coffee maker inlcudes only 1 cup of Regular and 1 cup of Decaf. Yes we could call down & wait for another packet to be delivered...kind of ruins the concept of a quick cup of coffee before heading out! This seems like an old hotel that has done extensive renovation, except it is still an old hotel. Not sure they did soundproofing. No microwave...the bathroom has been been nicely remodeled, but is still "very" small. We got a discounted rate because we came for the wedding but it still is very expensive for what you get. The all night ruckus our relatives suffered through is another story! The hotel did seem very clean, though.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 28, 2010

Stayed here for a boy's weekend, to see the Blue Jackets and the Buckeyes. The hotel was fantastic. Close to everything we wanted to do. The Nationwide Arena was a few blocks away (10 min walk), and the Shoo was a 15 min drive. Hotel was beautiful, the rooms were excellent. The staff was friendly and very helpful. The valets were lightening fast. The beds were the best part of the stay. The bed was the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in, bar none. The only downside was that Columbus seems to be a financial town, so they seem to roll up the sidewalks at 5pm, and being there on a weekend, there was very little open right around the hotel. If you have a car though, there is a lot around within a very short drive.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 25, 2010

Stayed for a Thursday and a Friday, we were so exhausted when we left, could not stay awake on Saturday! Several conventions, shouting in the hallways, smoking in the hallways, shouting at the pool. On the way in, the girl at the front desk messed up my bill so bad, I almost lost $100 in pre-paid Marriott Visa cards. Smallish bar in the lobby, poor quality food. OK room and fitness center. We have stayed there several times and never got near the rood top pool due the the convention trade. OK if you're a conventioneer, leisure traveler, forget it.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple