Renaissance Columbus Downtown Hotel
  • Room Service
$164
$149
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsrooftop poolaveda productsvalet parkingnice hotelthe concierge loungeroom servicebathroom doorper dayvalet staffhotel barbusiness travelshort northking roombed was very comfortablelobby areathe room was niceupon check
Reviewed June 15, 2007

I have stayed here a lot over the past year and I am happy that Columbus has this hotel.

They really do try to provide some good service. I am always able to check in early (before 11am) and they do it with a smile. Sometimes though, the staff is a little awkward or rehearsed but you know they are trying to follow some rules.

The rooms are great - some junior suites with some bright decor. However, the TV placement in the junior suite is not good. I think they need to upgrade to some flat screen TVs so they can put them in better viewing locations.

Room service is spotty. I've gotten some great food and some bad food (cold). I do like that they try to serve local produce. The restaurant service is also hit or miss. Lots of people in training I think.

I've had spotty results with their internet though. Maybe it's my computer but I've had to call their tech support more than a few times (always helpful).

Their club room/lounge is wonderful. Cereals (hot & cold), fruit, and some hot food in the morning. Warm appetizers & sweets in the evening. It does get boring after going there so frequently but occasionally it's great. They also have coffee, tea, soda, water, & beer & wine.

The gym is very usable. The weight machine isn't great but the cardio machings are very good. One quirk in the gym though is that people have no control over the audio. They usually have music blaring so if you want to watch tv - no luck. It didn't used to be that way though. Not sure what changed.

Overall, I've been very happy with the Renaissance in Columbus. It's been a great home away from home.

FYI - Overnight parking is $23.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled on business
3  Thank BigBlueOcean7
Reviewed May 23, 2007

This is a great, centrally located downtown hotel. Had business near the Nationwide Arena and it was a 20 minute walk. The bed was very comfortable and the room very modern. The bathroom had a stand-alone shower that was real nice. Did not eat in the hotel but the restaurant and bar looked real high class. Hotel at a very swanky feel with modern music pumped into the lobby. Valet parking only was $23.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled on business
2  Thank PeterFNYNC
Reviewed May 7, 2007

The hotel is currently mismanaged and is in the midst of finding a new general manager. Absolute amateur hour, and one of the worst managed hotels I have stayed in. It shows. I traveled from Florida to Columbus, Ohio and after 9 hours of traveling time I was greeted by loud and I mean LOUD lobby music (throughout the lobby, restaurants and bar) which fluctuated between Rap, Rock and Roll and Heavy Metal. This was evident throughout my stay, I have never seen anything like this before. All of the employees I talked with found the music to be loud. This has been going on for months according to the employees. To give you an idea of how loud it is, when speaking in the middle of the lobby, (I was on a business call) I could not hear my client on the other end of my cell phone. I had to step out onto the street where it was quieter.
Other issues. I did not receive a bill under my door for check out after requesting this. The room was not available upon check in. I had to beg for a room (this was ater 3:00PM) and finally I was given one. The soap and shampo were never replaced in my bathroom. I asked to speak with a hotel manager, they never called or attempted to reach me. I asked for compensation upon check out, and the front desk stated they were not authorized to do anything. I had to speak to and have this authorized by management, and they were closed. I ordered room service food and an overcooked chicken sandwich on very stale bread.
The signage on the hotel is not viewable from close, so if your driving pay attention and look for the hotel in the distance. The hotel is trying to be overly hip and LOUD, kind of like a pretend W Hotel without any training.
Try another hotel, unless you want to party hard on the lobby disco floor. If Bill Marriot's office (or anyone in upper management) is reading this, they should investigate, they will be amazed. Marriott normally stands for quality.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled on business
2  Thank executivedirector
Reviewed April 16, 2007

The Good:
The hotel was nicely located downtown right in the heart of the business district and walking distance for good night life.

The beds were comfortable and the room were clean.

The shower had good water pressure.

The bar and restaurant were nice and they have a Starbucks.

The Bad:
Check was NOT timely, it took us forever to get checked in.

I was charged for a room I cancelled weeks before and was harrassed about who I talked to for the cancellation. So, if you do cancel, be sure to keep the email confirmation of the cancellation.

I didn't get the room that I reserved. I reserved a two bedroom suite, but they gave my room away. I was given a one bedroom suite and an additional room down the hall...not to mention I was charged more this this set up.

In that additional room, the toliet got stopped up and it took them hours to come look and it...and they never really fixed it. They also did not offer another room.

When it was time to leave they didn't leave the bill under the door for either room.

When we asked for a late check out... we were told no, you have to leave.

• Stayed: April 2007
3  Thank djd175s
Reviewed April 3, 2007

I staying at the Columbus Renaissance Hotel 3/27/07-4/1/07 to attend NSBE convention at the Columbus Convention Center. Check in was easy, room was ready and very nice. Comfortable bed. Nice working desk. All non-smoking hotel. Only had a shower in my room which was OK by me but probably should ask if you want a bathtub. Room was made up each day before noon. Turn down service at night always left a candy treat. Highspeed internet and unlimited phones was $12.95 per day and parking was a steep $23 per day.

Everyone on the staff was friendly and helpful. Had room service breakfast one morning. It arrived in 35 minutes but was missing fresh fruit that I ordered. The room service person brought it in a few minutes and comp'd the breakfast.

Hotel is an 8 block walk to convention center which is not bad in OK weather but there are lot's of cabs available. Several restaurants in the area but fast food places (Subway, Starbucks, etc...) close up at 5 or 6pm and there are no little convenience stores around since the hotel is in a primarily business district. Overall, I would highly recommend The Columbus Renaissance Hotel and would not hesitate to stay again.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled on business