“Great Valentines Day at the Renaissance!!”

Renaissance Columbus Downtown Hotel
Ranked #28 of 145 Hotels in Columbus
Reviewed March 2, 2010

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Renaissance for Valentines this year and it was wonderful! The service was great, very clean room, awesome views! What more could you ask?! I highly recommend this hotel for anyone traveling for business or leisure :)

Reviewed February 18, 2010

Room - King bed with great view of the city. It was full of very modern furniture and when I say full I mean it. I was going to post pics but from the ones that have already been posted it looks like all the rooms were the same. Very comfy bed and a cool modern-deco desk with a huge lounging chair and ottoman combo that took up damn near the entire room. They obviously had someone with good style pick the furniture but then someone blind or perhaps with levitating abilities chose the arrangement because it made no sense being arranged traditionally. The bed was comfortable except for the pillows. I'm a memory foam person and always end up rolling up the pillows to get decent support. If you like pillows you can sink into, you won't have a problem. The bathroom was full of modern and stylish features and I think it was arranged best for the use of a slightly small space. Nice closet for winter coats. HUGE freaking mirror.

Area - We were able to walk around and be touristy without trouble. I imagine in the summer the walk to the river would be pleasant. We tried out The Elevator brew pub which is a few blocks away. I believe it was in the German part of town as the full name had "Haus" in it. Ate dinner on Saturday night across the street from the hotel at Mitchell's Steakhouse which was amazing. Fantastic service (attentive without being intrusive) and amazing food. I suggest the bacon wrapped filet and creme brulee'.

Hotel overall - When we checked in there was some sort of high school volleyball tournament going on that had the place packed. They'd planned well for it though and had plenty of valets (I think it was $30/night) and front desk people. The manager was wading through the masses and just checking in with people "someone with be with you very soon" "we really appreciate your patience and hope you enjoy your stay". It was nice. There's a lounge/bar but we didn't use it because we went back across the street to Mitchell's and sat at their bar and had more desserts! Breakfast at the hotel restaurant was really good. The staff there was good. They had 2 options for the buffet which I thought was nice. I think it was $10 for the typical pastry/cereal/fruit combo or $14 for a dude to make you an omelet to order, fried eggs, oatmeal, bacon, fresh waffles, and a few other things that I was too full to explore.

We came back to our room early on Saturday afternoon and encountered the cleaning staff who were friendlier than some of my neighbors. Generally, it seems this place has found the friendliest and nicest people in Ohio and somehow wrangled them all into working here. Fantastic stay.

Reviewed February 14, 2010

If you are looking to stay in a great chain hotel, this is your hotel. The staff is great and the service is great. We've been here on two separate occasions (3 nights total) and have never encountered a problem. Room service was quicker than expected, the food at Latitude 41 is great, and parking should be left to the valet staff. People complain about cost but you pay for convenience. The standard for downtown Columbus valet parking is $20-24. Why not pay for in-out privileges? If people want perfection in a hotel accompanied by low cost, try staying in Mexico where the value of a dollar stands strong to the peso! This is a great hotel that will not disappoint. Happy travels!

Reviewed January 19, 2010

I was initially hesitant due to a review posted on this site but was very pleasantly surprised.
The room was attractive - not large but quite comfortable. The bathroom has a cool hinged door... I like the creative use of space. All of the furnishings were brand new and the entire room was very clean. Because of the former review I did an exhaustive search for any potential critters and found no sign - if they ever had a problem it had been resolved. Best of all every staff member that we encountered was just so nice - helpful, courteous and downright friendly... as though they wanted to - not just because it was their job.
We parked off site at a nearby lot and it was much cheaper than the hotel parking but then we worried about getting ticketed in the morning so we had to run out to pay again very early - so maybe the hotel lot was worth it.
We walked to the Statehouse, German Village and COSI from the hotel with no problem. Lots of panhandlers in Columbus but none very close to the hotel... maybe the odd LOUD music that the hotel pipes out to the surrounding sidewalk keeps them away.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 7, 2010

Booked through Priceline, this was a great deal except the unexpected parking fee of $23/night. Once we arrived, we were treated like royalty by valet and check-in was very quick. We liked our room with a king bed and large desk area, but within 1 hr. the occupant of the next room was screaming and having quite a disagreement that we could hear. Being that it was 4PM,we felt it may continue through the night, so we asked for a room change and specifically to a different floor with noone around and they happily complied. They also sent security up to take care of the issue who also followed up with us later on in the night. I did not expect not having free web access in my room, but it was offered free in the business center..just had to tote my laptop back and forth. They did offer web access for a fee in-room ($12.95/24hr.) or per minute in the business center with their computer. Also had a problem with heat, but within an hour maintenance came to our room and explained that the older windows let a lot of cold in and that the individual room furnaces cool off after heating (Blow cold air!!!), but we eventually found a good heat temperature (80) being that it was in the teens outside. We stopped at the bar and were treated very politely and drinks were reasonable. We did not utilize room service, but the front desk was very forthcoming with restaurant and pizza delivery places!! Pharaoh's was great!! We needed extra blankets - no problem!
We did have buffet breakfast in the lounge and it was worth every penny of the $14.00 price!! We have never been treated so nicely by staff and all very, very friendly!! The food was great too and we had specially made omlets and I loved the waffle iron! The room was clean and the fitness center was very, very nice with lots of equipment and a sauna!

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 29, 2009

I would recommend this hotel to everyone. Got a great rate on priceline. The hotel was very nice but the most impressive part was the staff. Especially the front desk staff and the porters.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 6, 2009

For a Renaissance Hotel I was expecting a little more. I was there for a conference and my room was free of charge so I can't complain too much and I don't know how much it generally costs. The room itself was fine and the location being downtown was nice and convenient. There was also a bar that was open late at the hotel. No free WiFi in the room, but they do have it for free in the lobby.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business