“Clean, updated and nice location downtown”

Renaissance Columbus Downtown Hotel
Ranked #30 of 143 Hotels in Columbus
Reviewed November 18, 2013

We traveled here for a wedding last year. I realize my review is a bit overdue, but I wanted to go on record about what a nice stay we had here. Our check-in experience was a bit hectic. We arrived on a Friday afternoon on a weekend with a LOT of weddings staying at the hotel. The lobby was absolutely packed with people, most of them loaded down with formal wear and wedding decor. Upon check-in, we received a "welcome bag" of stuff from the bride and groom. While I think these little gift bags are silly and unnecessary, I was impressed that the staff was organized enough to get us the correct bag. Seriously - there was a lot of activity going down in this little lobby that day and about 10 different bags from different couples stacked around in the corners behind the desks. Even I was confused. When I needed a quick pin for my dress which ended up being a bit too big at the top (total disaster would inevitably have ensued had I not found a pin), the gentleman at the front desk in the lobby found one for me in about 3 seconds flat. Sir, you saved my night! Great customer service.

Valet parking was expensive. Had we known better, we would have found somewhere else to park the car.

The rooms were nice and clean, very pleasantly updated. Not huge but more than enough room for the two of us. The hotel was situated right in the middle of everything. Downtown Columbus is a lot more fun than I thought it was going to be. We could walk or take a very cheap cab ride to wherever we needed to go. As I said, we were in town for a wedding, so we spent a good amount of time in the hotel bar, particularly while the wedding party spent two hours running around town taking photos between the ceremony and reception (obnoxious) and after the reception was over. The drinks were cold, wet and reasonably priced.

I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Renaissance Columbus Downtown Hotel

Reviewed November 14, 2013

My family stayed in room 1316 for the weekend, we we’re in town for a girls scout trip to COSI.
We booked through Expedia, Check in was fast and the staff efficient and accommodating. The room was really clean. The two beds had really nice comforters and plenty of pillows. The heating/cooling system was very modern and quiet. The TV was a nice size, an important detail for an 11yr old son who stayed back from the girls. There was a nice big desk, great if you need to do a little work.
The shower is behind a glass wall with no door to close. I understand this is an issue for some, but we didn't mind this at all, same with the folding bathroom door. The hotel provided toiletries that were Aveda products, a nice touch. The sink area was a little small considering we had makeup and hair products that needed space, but not that big of an issue.
Despite being located near the elevator and soda/ice machines, the room was very quiet.
The bar/restaurant people were friendly and very cordial. Latitude 41, the hotel's restaurant, is wonderful. We all ordered the buffet for breakfast and we were very satisfied. Loved the smoothie. All the staff members were very nice.
This is just a few blocks away from the Ohio Capitol and the heart of downtown. The area surrounding the hotel is very walkable and it's safe to walk about, even at night. There is a Starbucks across the street.
Parking was a bit expensive!
We really liked our stay. I got the impression that a lot of business people stayed in this hotel. We had a good experience all around. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed November 14, 2013

I stayed here with my team for business, and we all had a good laugh at this hotel. The rooms are a joke. The only good things (and there are truly only three) is that the bed is very comfortable, and there are outlets -- at least nominally -- near the bedside table. I say nominally, because there is a multi-outlet plug on the floor near the bedside table -- however, I feel like there should be an outlet on the table or at table level to account for plugging in laptops, tablets and smartphones. The third good thing is that it's well-located for downtown Columbus.

The desk is huge -- it takes up the entire width of the room. However, the armchair is wedged in between the bed and the wall and turned at an angle away from the TV, rendering it unusable.

The biggest joke by far was the bathroom, which is about 2/3 smaller than it should be. It has a normal door that has been turned into a bi-fold door. I've never seen anything like it. You have to close this door in order to enter the shower, which is completely glassed-in except for a small opening for you to step through. However, the showerhead controls are located at the opposite end, guaranteeing that you'll get a blast of cold water when you turn it on in the morning so you'll be shot WIDE AWAKE if you weren't been before.

The lobby area is kind of cheesy and cheaply outfitted, and service lacks polish, to put it nicely. This is a property that requires loads of improvement in order to meet the standards set by this hotel class.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed November 10, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel for 2 nights for a cheering competition at the Convention Center. (2 adults, 2 pre-teen girls)
1. Valet is the only parking offered and it costs $25 per day. (24 hour in & out privileges, I never waited for my car but I always phoned ahead)
2. Outdoor pool ONLY, which is obviously not useful in November.
3. We drove to the convention center 2 days (and had to pay to park there.) It is walkable, but it is not practical with cheer bags, etc. and when on a time schedule, or in the cold weather. (I was told its a 15 min walk) We asked about shuttle service to Conv. Ctr... valet said yes, and to schedule w front desk, front desk employee was rude and stated that shuttle was only available to the airport. Valet wouldn't confirm that they could offer a shuttle, so we drove. It seemed so close to be driving to, but just out of that comfortable walking range, for the reasons stated above.
4. Beds were VERY nice, VERY comfortable. One of the best hotel beds we have ever slept in.
5. Bathroom is tiny, no counter space at all. The door is cut in half with hinges in the middle just so that it can open!! (I have never seen anything like this) You have to be careful bc the sink sticks out from it's corner position very awkwardly. Toilet is commercial with the stick flusher and loud (it comes out from the wall, and is basically against the bathtub).
6. There were no outlets near the desk (that we could find) so with 4 females trying to get ready, the small bathroom counter space was an issue. We had to take turns in there. My daughter sat on a towel on the floor in front of the mirrored closet door to do her hair.
7. Mini-fridge was MINI! TINY! Half gallon of milk, small bottle of coffee cream and 2 - 20 ounce bottles or water is what fit. Anything more and the door wouldn't close. We had to use a cooler w ice for beverages ;)
8. We didn't use room service or eat at the restaurant so I cannot comment on that.
9. Some of the front desk employees seemed snooty...some were friendly and said "hi" and smiled as we walked by...their attitudes varied. The man I asked about the shuttle was RUDE, the woman that handled a key issue for us was friendly. (You'll have that everywhere I guess).
OVERALL: Nice hotel, with some flaws. We spent A LOT on parking w tips, and having to pay at Conv. Ctr. too) If you're going to the Conv. Ctr., I would try to stay closer to Convention Center (Drury, Crowne Plaza, Hyatt, Hilton, Hampton Inn are all closer...Friends stayed at Red Roof Inn and said they would never stay there again.)
Hope this helps someone! :)

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed November 6, 2013

I stayed two nights for a conference. The rooms are not large, but they are well decorated and comfortable. They feature a walk-in shower only in a small bathroom. the beds are comfortable and the hotel is quiet. I had a great view from the 18th floor.

Check in and check out were both a breeze. Parking in the garage is by valet only, at a cost of $17 per day for guests. There are some restaurants but not much actual shopping nearby, but the Short North arts district is not far. The hotel is more conveniently located next to the state capitol building.

The food served during the conference was average. We had dinner/program in the Latitude restaurant that is part of the hotel. The food served there attempts to be trendy but it's all overcooked and under-portioned. For a luxury hotel it is pretty average.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 29, 2013

The location for this hotel is great for concerts or Ohio State games! But the room itself was lacking. As a woman, the bathroom/counter space is important to me. The countertop was tiny. Barely enough room for a makeup bag, much less a hair dryer, straightener, or my husbands Dopp kit. The bathroom door had been cut in two with hinges on it to make it a 'bi-fold' door. I should have taken a picture because I've never seen anything like it! Was quite comical. The bed was very cozy however with a good view of the city. Pretty lobby and breakfast buffet was ok.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 24, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here on business oct 21-24, 2013. Beds were very comfortable, room was very clean and hotel did great job at accommodating us as we were a large group. There was a pool and a hot tub, both looked great. Would highly recommend this hotel for business or pleasure.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business