“Tough call”

Ranked #27 of 143 Hotels in Columbus
New Haven, Connecticut
“Tough call”
Reviewed March 26, 2013

From the front desk to valet to the restaurant, the staff here are wonderful, capable and very eager to please. The public areas very classy looking and I realize prices for in town tend be more expensive but the value is not here.
Curious about the parking fee...We paid $25 per day, I've seen various amounts in other reviews???
Folding bathroom door is not bad, the fact that the bathroom is so tiny is! More room in a standard Hampton Inn room and bath. Room was very noisy, we could actually hear conversation in next room.
Food is okay but expensive, keep in mind that if you're here on a weekend there are not alot of choices for breakfast - most closed on the weekend.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
New Jersey
Reviewed March 25, 2013

Went for a cousins wedding. Hotel was really nice. Rooms were big, bed was very comfortable. We needed extra towels they brought them right away. The restaurant in hotel was very expensive and on the gourmet side. Bar was very fun over weekend the had a lot of different thing going on in hotel this weekend. You also have to pay 16 a day for parking which i thought was a lot. But i do have to say the valet guys were great and right on target when ever we had to leave.Also there are a lot of taxi right outside. Nothing in town was open sat. morning we had to drive to get something to eat. Also if your into going out go to bar louie think it was on north shore drive lots of bars so much fun 7 cab ride so worth it. Columbus is a nice town. Want to make it to the zoo but way to cold to walk around. But heard it was real good.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
NYC
Reviewed February 27, 2013 via mobile

It's somewhat clean and normal but both times I've stayed here there have been a few issues...
- kind of shabby. Clock radio and phone look ancient.
- bathroom a bit rough
- walls thin (guess who brought a dog? Next door neighbors!)
- breakfast room service menu ("morning cravings") a bit lacking. Yogurt? No. Cereal? No.

I checked in late this time and was given the handicapped accessible room. The bathroom has seen way better days (#705).
Also, did I mention sound proofing?

All in all, why didn't I just stay at the nearby Hilton? Or a Courtyard? What's the appeal of the Renaissance? Isn't this supposed to be an upscale Marriott property?

So, to sum up: it's fine. If you need to sleep somewhere, knock yourself out. But if I was staying here more than 12 hours I'd go elsewhere.

• Stayed February 2013
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed February 26, 2013

The best feature of this hotel is its location - blocks for the Ohio Capitol and many state office buildings. As Renaissance Hotels go, this one is a little limited on its offerings, especially the hotel restaurant menu. (Luckily, there are good restaurants in the neighborhood.). The rooms are decently appointed and clean. Make sure that you do not get a handicapped equipped room if you don't need one. These are among the smallest rooms in the house. The staff, especially the front desk, gets kudos for helpfulness.

• Stayed February 2013
Ohio
Reviewed February 26, 2013

The hotel was very clean and beautiful. Every staff person was welcoming and helpful. The food was excellent and not over priced. It is a wonderful place to stay. The gentleman who checked me in asked if he could make dinner reservations for me which he did. I had to call twice to move the reservations to a later time and the people in the restaurant couldn't have been more helpful and willing to do whatever it took to make me happy.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed February 24, 2013

I had the pleasure of spending a night in this excellent establishment. I arrived very late, but the staff was as pleasant as if it was noon. The lobby was warm and inviting. A great deal of attention was paid to the details in the room to insure a high level of comfort. High marks for value for this hotel.

Room Tip: Higher floors offer an excellent view
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Central New Jersey
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Had a friend's wedding to attend in Columbus, OH last weekend. He booked 35 rooms at the lovely Renaissance Hotel in downtown. I spent an extra day there due to the pending snow storm back east (Nemo. Why on Earth are we giving cute little Disney character names to snow storms, now? Does that make them any less scary or inconvenient?).
The hotel is situated in the center of the city, about 20 minutes' drive from the airport.
The lobby is modern and attractively decorated. Hotel staff are prompt, polite and attentive. The bellman who greeted me seemed quite happy for the $1.00 I tipped him just for holding the door open (my bags all have wheels, so I tend to push them myself when possible).
Check in was quick and efficient. I opted for two keys, even though I was a solo traveler this time.
I had a room on the 18th floor. There is a bank of four elevators so I didn't have to wait long.
The hallways are decorated nicely. Clean, modern.
The rooms are nice. Two comfy Queen sized beds, billowing comforters and lots of pillows - both feather and hypo-allergenic.
I found my room to be quite cold and turned on the heat immediately. I later learned you had to push the temp up to about 81 for it to actually kick in. That was a minor negative.
There was a nice sized flat screen TV, a safe, a fridge, and a decent sized closet. Not enough hangers but I've come to expect that and brought my own.
The only negative is the odd shaped bathroom and the shower set up.
The door on the triangular shaped bathroom FOLDS! That's weird in itself. But the shower (there is no bath tub) is a step in affair, with a HALF GLASS wall and no slider or way to reach the water controls without stepping inside and getting scalded. I found that disturbing but I got used to it by the third night.
The food in the hotel is generally good, but don't order a Spanish Omelet. They have no idea what that is. But it was kind of them to try.
I ordered Room Service the first night I was there. It was late - around 9:45. The food didn't arrive until 10:40, but it was exactly what I asked for. A vegetarian tomato and pepper soup and a side of their Brussels Sprouts and Potato Hash (sounded good to me at the time and it was quite good). They also delivered a piping hot carafe for some Earl Grey Tea.
There is a very nice spa located on the fourth floor. Needless to say, I didn't try the outdoor pool (temp was in the teens with the wind chill) but the equipment is very well maintained and there's plenty of it. I pretty much had the facility to myself both days I worked out. Elliptical machines and treadmills galore. Many equipped with a TV and the ones without are positioned in front of flat screen TVs hanging from the wall. There is a very nice, very clean locker room for both men and women. I used the sauna which could have been hotter, but it got the job done. Plenty of towels on hand, too.
All in all, I had a pleasant stay and if I ever find myself in Columbus, I'll be back.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo