“Service and food quality are sliding” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Renaissance Columbus Downtown Hotel

Renaissance Columbus Downtown Hotel
Ranked #26 of 143 Hotels in Columbus
Perrysburg, Ohio
“Service and food quality are sliding”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

I have traditionally been thrilled to stay at the Renaissance Columbus Downtown Hotel for business. The service has been excellent and the food first rate. During my recent stay November 1-3, this was not the case.
While the check in process was smooth and I was mercifully able to get into my room very early, service after check in was dismal. Questions of staff at the front desk about game time for the Ohio State Game and in which room the hospitality suite was located were met with blank stares. I ended up asking the same questions of a fellow conference attendee and they were promptly answered.
The food. Wow! In the past the food, both at the restaurant in the hotel and the banquet lunch services were very good. This year lunch was absolutely terrible. It was a miserable beef dish with disgusting mushroom gravy that an airline would be embarrassed to serve.
That being said, the lounge decor and service in the lounge were outstanding as always!
I hope that the Renaissance makes some improvements soon, it would be sad to lose a good full-service hotel in downtown Columbus.

Room Tip: Fourth floor is home of fitness center and provides access to roof-top sundeck and pool. But note...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
newark
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2012

I stayed on November 11/3/12 and overall the stay was great, other than the price. I thought it was a bit high for the size of the rooms.

Although they offer Valet parking for $25, I took advantage of the $15 overnight parking in the lot accross the street.

I had booked two rooms, Michael Marcus was the front desk clerk checking us in, upon arrival only one room was ready, we were given bottles of water and told the room number and that it was being "inspected" and the keys would be brought right up to us. After 30 minutes I was heading down to the lobby to see how much longer it would take to insepct this room, when I saw a housekeeper just starting to clean it! So we called the desk, and 30 minutes later the keys were brought up to us. Why couldn't they just tell us the room was not cleaned yet rather than lying to us? Once in the room it looked over the roof top pool, and was clean but smelt musty. It was also right behind the elevators, so we had to listen to the carts going up and down all night.

Having used to be a front desk clerk I know what should be done, and not done at check in. The clerk did not check my ID at check in like required and spoke the room numbers allowed over and over, which you are not supposed to do for security reasons.

Now upon leaving on the night of the 3rd, there was a nice young man and women, whose names i did not catch, working the front desk and were very helpful in giving me directions on how to get out of downtown and around all of the construction.

The housekeeping staff was great! Every housekeeper I ran into spoke to our group and asked how our day was!

Like I said overall, nice over priced stay with okay customer service and very clean rooms.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
West Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2012

My husband and I just returned from this hotel after booking a stay to celebrate our wedding anniversary. Jennifer Keller was amazing, making sure we were in a wonderful suite with special amenities. We stayed on the 16th floor, the place was like a small, upscale apartment, the decor warm and inviting, comfortable bed, clean and tidy, and the staff friendly, courteous, and helpful. The breakfast at the restaurant in the hotel offered an outstanding buffet, with omelets, pancakes, and waffles cooked to order, along with other delicious items. The hotel is beautiful inside and feels secure. You are in downtown Columbus, so venturing out late at night on foot might not be a great plan. This is why the valet parking is nice, and even though there is a charge, it makes the experience safe and is worth the extra fee. The valet attendants were personable and efficient. Before our friends picked us up for dinner, we enjoyed being in and about the lobby and other areas along with happy guests, some of which were there for a wedding. The whole stay was pleasant and we will be back!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Beenmanyplaces
Parkersburg, West Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2012

We stayed here Oct 5th for a Brad Paisley Concert. The hotel was amazing! Very beautiful views, we were on the 11th floor. They only have Valet parking, $25 for the night if you are going to be coming in and out. I was not a fan of the Valet parking it was alittle to fancy for me, My only complaint was the loud people in the hallways around 1 am but there is a bar at the ground floor of the hotel, I kind of expected it!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Cincinnati, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here one night since I had some training at the convention center. It is about half a mile walk or a $5 cab ride away.

I utilized customer service a few times, it was prompt and courteous. Room service was also excellent and prompt.

The room was clean and I liked the Aveda toiletries. The room overlooked the roof top pool. The exercise facilities were very nice and had a bowl of fresh fruit.

Upon checkout in the morning, it was nice that they had a bowl of bananas since I was in a hurry and didn't have time for breakfast.

Overall great stay. My only complaint is that the rates are a bit high.

• Stayed October 2012
New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2012

Bottom line....rooms were dirty, staff not knowledgable, hotel over priced, never again. The food in latitude 41 was fine.

When I pointed out the mold and mildew in bathroom, housekeeping supervisor told me that is what one expects in Columbus. My previous stay at the Hampton Inn, just around the corner had no mold or mildew.

My niece stayed in a different room, she found a pack of cigarettes and dirty socks. This is not expected in an expensive hotel.

The wall paper in bathroom was dirty and peeling. Everything was just a bit dirty and the service was a bit off.

The staff in the rest of the hotel was a beat or two off as well. There was something amiss with the hotel's management.

Room Tip: Stay at Hampton inn around the corner
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Nazareth, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2012

Just returned from a quick one night stay at Renaissance Columbus Downtown and was very happy with it. My stay was part of a conference being held at the hotel and I found the staff and location to be excellent.

The valet and front desk staff was very welcoming and helpful, pointing me in the right direction for everything, even when I left, the valet asked where I was going to give me the best route out of town. The service staff that was working the food and beverage service for the conference seemed to be constantly moving, resupplying and cleaning things up.

The room on the 16th floor provided a nice view of the city looking to the west. Clean for the most part, with the carpet maybe a little beaten up. Otherwise, a very comfortable bed, nice large screen (HD?) TV with plenty of room and outlets to spread out and get some work done as well.

Since I was traveling solo, the bathroom was plenty big enough for me, but I could see it being kind of cramped with 2 people in there. The toilet itself seemed a little low to me.

Location - I didn't have a lot of time to go exploring, but there are a number of nice restaurants nearby and I did end up eating at BD's Mongolian BBQ near the arena and didn't find the walk to be that difficult. In fact I actually appreciated a little extra exercise after that dinner.

Over all a very nice experience and would have no problem returning here again if I had business downtown.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business