“Nice downtown hotel”

Renaissance Columbus Downtown Hotel
Ranked #31 of 145 Hotels in Columbus
Reviewed August 4, 2012

I stayed here one night on business. The hotel is conveniently located downtown with parking ($25/night) underneath it. There were a couple of decent, reasonably priced restaurants within a block. My room was modern and very clean. The room had a very large desk that spanned a wall of windows. The television appeared new and was great! Bathroom was very nice with a doorless shower (no tub) that had a glass panel. The room had a small convenience bar with refrigerator, coffee maker, etc. Service was excellent at check-in and check-out. I called the valet for my car prior to leaving my room and it was waiting for me when I got to the door. Would definitely use the hotel again if I had business downtown.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed July 30, 2012

We made reservations at this hotel for a wedding held in Columbus, OH. I wanted to check in early so I was not rushed getting ready for my niece's wedding that evening. When I went to check in after my daughters had been checked into their rooms...I was told I was already registered. I said I had just arrived and had not check in yet. This was at 2:15. My reservation had been given to someone else. The said they would figure it out and I could wait in my daughter's room. After an hour I called to see what was being done to alleviate my problem. I was told they were trying to figure it out. After awhile they called my daughter's room and I was told to come down to the desk for a different room. I went to that room and when I opened the door it became lodged open when the door got stuck on the security latch and the door was jammed open about 3 inches. The security guard came up to help me. He had to go in thru the attached suite and said that room was occupied. There was a pillow with the name Whoopi on it in the room. He escorted me down to the reservation desk to help me with my problem. The reservation desk clerk said..."Oh that is Whoopi Goldberg"s pillow and the security guard NEEDED to go right away and get it out of the room. whoopi Goldberg had occupied that room the night before. More concern of retrieving the pillow than my lost reservation. Finally at 4:00 P.M. I was given a double room...my reservation was for a king bed room. No apology and I did not know this until I went to the room. I had to get my belongings unpacked...unwrinkled...showered and ready to catch a shuttle by 5:30 to the wedding venue. I was not very pleased with the way this hotel handled their giving away my reservation and why Whoopie Goldberg"s pillow was more important than my reservation. I do have to comment that the security guard was very helpful and insisted on escorting me back to the reservation desk to get my problem resolved even though he had received a call to go handle another situation.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Siciliangram
Reviewed July 26, 2012

It was a nice hotel. Staff was great! We had a king room that was small. Housecleaning needs to check the drawers. We found questionable items in the night stand. Yuck! The food was good, We never had to wait for an elevator even though they were very busy.

Room Tip: Higher floors have a great view of downtown Columbus. We were on the 18th floor.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 25, 2012 via mobile

I stayed on the 12th floor overlooking the pool. There were not many lounge chairs, so it was always full. I wish the hotel had a spa or one nearby with decent hours. The room was clean. Not many of the staff members spoke good English so it was a bit difficult to communicate at times. The location is great. The rooms feel updated. I loved the Aveda personal items. The valet cost is too high. And the room was too pricey for the lack of hotel amenities. Plus the ice machine was broken on our floor. The wi-fi was super slow and therefore cost too much as well.
I would consider staying again, but I would probably look elsewhere first for a place with better amenities.

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed July 23, 2012 via mobile

The hotel is very nice with friendly staff and a very clean room. The real advantage is that it's right downtown within walking distance to restaurants. Parking is just inconvenient. Overall I was satisfied with my stay

• Stayed: August 2011
Reviewed July 22, 2012

I stayed there one night for a wedding. upon arrival, I was promptly greeted. I received an upgraded room because mine was not yet ready. The room was clean and of decent size. The service at the hotel was great. The location is great as well. I have no complaints.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed July 20, 2012

we stayed for only one night, friday, july 13th, for my best friend's wedding (yes, he got married on friday the 13th)...the wedding was held at the smith's brothers venue, just down the street a few blocks. we valet parked our car and had prompt service. upon check in we were greeted immediately. the front desk was very, very pleasant. we had no wait time. we were given a room on the 18th floor...a very strange set up to the room...the bathroom was very small with a tri-fold type door...weird but workable. bathroom was configured in a triangle...small...my husband couldn't dry off in the confines of the bathroom, he had to step out into the "foyer" area. other than the small bath area, the room itself was fine. small with a lot of furniture for such a small room. the room had update furniture, modern. we would definitley stay again. the lobby was chic...everyone we encountered staff wise was more than accomodating. cab service was not the greatest...as we were attending a wedding at the smith's brothers venue, the cab driver did not listen to us...took us to the schmidt's sausage haus...not too happy about that...but that has nothing to do with the hotel...great hotel!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple