“Didn't have my room”

Ranked #29 of 143 Hotels in Columbus
Mississippi
“Didn't have my room”
Reviewed October 23, 2007

We stayed at The Columbus in Ohio in October of 2007. When booking my stay I informed them that I would Have a VERY late checkin , they said that would be fine and that they would note it in the computer. The day before leaving I called to make sure they knew we were coming in late they said that it was noted in the computer. When we arrived at 6:30 in the morning from driving all night with two children they had given our room with two beds away and all they had was one room with one bed wanted us to make due until another room would become available and after telling them that with having FOUR people we could not all stay in one bed. I told this lady that we had been driving all night and she looked at me with a smile and said that she understands. After telling them that a room with ONE BED would not work and I wanted a refund and would find somewhere else They found us a room and gave us free breakfast for our entire stay. The only good thing I would say is the restaurant was good a little pricey and there was a steakhouse across the street and a good pizza place they said was good. The room was very small including the bathroom. The valet service was speedy.

• Liked — restaurants and starbucks in walking distance
  • Disliked — Checkin
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Huntington (Long Island), New York, U.S.A.
Reviewed September 15, 2007

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for three nights from September 13th through the 16th, in a room on the 19th floor which I had booked three months in advance as part of a wedding block at a reduced rate of $119 per night (or so we were told when I booked.)

The room and hotel was decent enough, but have to say we were UN-impressed with this place and after our horible check out experience, would not recommend this hotel to anyone. There are plenty of other nice hotels in the downtown Columbus area if you need to be there.

Let's start with the hotel bar staff - stopped in for a drink before going out with some friends the night we arrived. As we were not part of the special group who was holding a party in part of the bar that night, we basically got ignored by the bartenders (who did ask us upon entering if we were with the party. When we said no, they turned around and proceeded to ignore us until we asked one of them if we could be served, and he begrudgingly did so, but took his sweet time doing that.) There were 4 of us, three of us ordered mixed drinks and I ordered a glass of wine. Took forever to get our drinks, and even once three of us had been served the bartender hadn't yet poured my wine, and after a few minutes of wondering what happened, we had to ask if he forgot about it, and he finally poured my wine. All in all, what should have been a quick drink before going out, took half an hour. OK so that was strike one - possible to overlook if the rest of our stay had gone ok.

BUT upon checking out on Sunday morning, when the front desk presented me with the final bill, I noticed they had charged me the NON-wedding block rate of $159 a night for my room. When I alerted the staff that this needed to be changed, they said they couldn't change it so I asked for the manager, who came out and very quickly told me the same thing. I explained that our room was booked months ago as part of my friend's wedding block of rooms, and the rate was indeed $119 not $159. He said there was nothing he could do to help us, and when I asked for someone who could help he said his manager was out of the office that day. All of this in and of itself could have been smoothed over had he 1) offered to look into the reason for the price discrepancy, and 2) been a bit more willing to listen to us and understand what the issue was. His attitude was moreso "not my problem, this is what you have to pay..." rather than "let's see what we can do to figure this out."

Anyway, long story short, my husband and I left as very unsatisfied customers, upset that we had been offered one rate by phone when booking, and been charged another much more expensive rate when checking out, with no explanation. I did call the 800 customer service line to see if they would be of more assistance than the manager guy was, and they did see that our rate should have been $119 (since that was shown in the booking record.) Had the manager taken two minutes to look that up, he would have seen the same thing. While I was on the phone with the 800 customer service woman, she said she wanted to contact the manager to have him apologize, which he did (profusely) once he realized we had actually taken the time to complain about the problem.

Too little too late. We are still awaiting our refund (it's Sunday so they couldn't credit us until their accounting department comes in tomorrow.) So while we THINK this whole rate issue will be cleared up soon, the handling of it by the manager and hotel staff was inappropriate and off-putting.

In short - don't stay here: rude staff and bartenders, and not really that great of a place to be, considering the annoyances we had to put up with and the rude staff. Go with another hotel in downtown Columbus. This place needs to get its act together.

• Disliked — Rude staff, poor service
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
Iowa
Reviewed August 29, 2007

My daughter left her swimsuit there. I called and they said they would look for it. I got an e-mail from them saying they did not find it. I'm 100% sure the swimsuit was left there. It didn't get up and walk away by itself.

• Liked — close to conference
  • Disliked — price
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed August 8, 2007

Stayed at the Renaissance in July 2007. Room was newly renovated. Bed was excellent. No minibar in rooms. Service was just okay. Valet was slow to retrieve car. Front desk service was okay. Pool was too cold to utilize. Room was clean . I would stay here again but would not pay more than $120.00 per night as the stay was "average."

• Liked — Cleanliness
  • Disliked — ease of parking. Swimming pool too cold in July.
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed June 15, 2007

I have stayed here a lot over the past year and I am happy that Columbus has this hotel.

They really do try to provide some good service. I am always able to check in early (before 11am) and they do it with a smile. Sometimes though, the staff is a little awkward or rehearsed but you know they are trying to follow some rules.

The rooms are great - some junior suites with some bright decor. However, the TV placement in the junior suite is not good. I think they need to upgrade to some flat screen TVs so they can put them in better viewing locations.

Room service is spotty. I've gotten some great food and some bad food (cold). I do like that they try to serve local produce. The restaurant service is also hit or miss. Lots of people in training I think.

I've had spotty results with their internet though. Maybe it's my computer but I've had to call their tech support more than a few times (always helpful).

Their club room/lounge is wonderful. Cereals (hot & cold), fruit, and some hot food in the morning. Warm appetizers & sweets in the evening. It does get boring after going there so frequently but occasionally it's great. They also have coffee, tea, soda, water, & beer & wine.

The gym is very usable. The weight machine isn't great but the cardio machings are very good. One quirk in the gym though is that people have no control over the audio. They usually have music blaring so if you want to watch tv - no luck. It didn't used to be that way though. Not sure what changed.

Overall, I've been very happy with the Renaissance in Columbus. It's been a great home away from home.

FYI - Overnight parking is $23.

• Liked — Recent renovation
  • Disliked — TV locations
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
3 Thank BigBlueOcean7
Greensboro,NC
Reviewed May 23, 2007

This is a great, centrally located downtown hotel. Had business near the Nationwide Arena and it was a 20 minute walk. The bed was very comfortable and the room very modern. The bathroom had a stand-alone shower that was real nice. Did not eat in the hotel but the restaurant and bar looked real high class. Hotel at a very swanky feel with modern music pumped into the lobby. Valet parking only was $23.

• Stayed May 2007, traveled on business
2 Thank PeterFNYNC
NYC
Reviewed May 7, 2007

The hotel is currently mismanaged and is in the midst of finding a new general manager. Absolute amateur hour, and one of the worst managed hotels I have stayed in. It shows. I traveled from Florida to Columbus, Ohio and after 9 hours of traveling time I was greeted by loud and I mean LOUD lobby music (throughout the lobby, restaurants and bar) which fluctuated between Rap, Rock and Roll and Heavy Metal. This was evident throughout my stay, I have never seen anything like this before. All of the employees I talked with found the music to be loud. This has been going on for months according to the employees. To give you an idea of how loud it is, when speaking in the middle of the lobby, (I was on a business call) I could not hear my client on the other end of my cell phone. I had to step out onto the street where it was quieter.
Other issues. I did not receive a bill under my door for check out after requesting this. The room was not available upon check in. I had to beg for a room (this was ater 3:00PM) and finally I was given one. The soap and shampo were never replaced in my bathroom. I asked to speak with a hotel manager, they never called or attempted to reach me. I asked for compensation upon check out, and the front desk stated they were not authorized to do anything. I had to speak to and have this authorized by management, and they were closed. I ordered room service food and an overcooked chicken sandwich on very stale bread.
The signage on the hotel is not viewable from close, so if your driving pay attention and look for the hotel in the distance. The hotel is trying to be overly hip and LOUD, kind of like a pretend W Hotel without any training.
Try another hotel, unless you want to party hard on the lobby disco floor. If Bill Marriot's office (or anyone in upper management) is reading this, they should investigate, they will be amazed. Marriott normally stands for quality.

• Stayed May 2007, traveled on business