“I am never disappointed”
Review of DeepWood - CLOSED

DeepWood
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: DeepWood is the balanced experience of living and dining well: sincere hospitality, personal connections, inviting atmosphere, local responsibility and a fresh evolving menu. The restaurant is an invitation into a home and is to be as much about its people and the way its guests are made to feel as the dishes defining the meal
Columbus, Ohio
“I am never disappointed”
Reviewed October 4, 2013

I was at DeepWood again last night, sat at the bar with a friend. The bartender, Eddy, always has a suggestion for something especially good. He was right on target again. We had cocktails, a salad and a small plate. The timing of each dish was just right, so I didn't feel like I was being rushed through the salad. Service is always good, and I have never eaten anything bad. The lavash in the bread basket is yummy. Our salads were appropriately dressed (not too much dressing, nor too little) and the small plates were really good. The menu changes regularly and I love that. There is always something intriguing to try.

• Visited October 2013

Indiana, Pennsylvania
“One Fine Meal”
Reviewed August 19, 2013

I took a two week driving tour from Pittsburgh to Chicago/Wisconsin/Michigan/Canada this summer. The first stop on the way was Columbus to see a friend. Lucky for us she recommended DeepWood for dinner. From beginning to end it was a near perfect experience. The drinks were lovely, the food artfully presented and perfectly cooked, the atmosphere elegant but never stuffy and the service excellent. Little did we know this would be the high point of our culinary excursion through the mid-west and Canada. I looked back longingly during the two weeks that followed at the amazing seared scallops I had that night at the DeepWood.

valparaiso, Indiana
“disappointingly bland”
Reviewed August 14, 2013

Because I was with a group of 11, we had reservations in a private back room so we missed some of the decor, though we were struck by the leafy ceiling in the main dining room. Our service was quite good, with three people taking care of our needs. But after the great reviews and studying what seemed to be terrific menu choices, I expected really outstanding cuisine. At the server's suggestion I ordered the house special Oak Salad which she assured me would be light. It certainly was! It was mostly leaf lettuce with a very light dressing with so few crumbles of blue cheese, I had to search for them and there were only a few spiced pecans. Certainly, inoffensive but forgettable. The fish du jour was trout. I should have been known better, because when I asked if it would be whole trout she said, "Oh no, we want our customers to be able to eat our food easily." It was three suspiciously large slabs of trout arranged in a pyramid atop what is called their signature tomato salad-- heirloom tomatoes with a bland dressing. The trout was tasteless and dry--could have used some sort of sauce. I looked forward to this dinner being the culinary delight of our trip to Columbus. Not so at all.

Columbus
“First visit--Not our last”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

We took advantage of 614 Restaurant Week and visited DeepWood on High Street for the first time, and our experience was fantastic. Our waiter, John, was absolutely fantastic--and knowledgable about the full menu, wine,and drink offerings. In addition to the regular menu, vegan and vegetarian menus are available(online) or just ask.. We decided to have cocktails and all three were excellent. Two of us ordered from the 3 course fixed price menu ($30), and chose to add the red wine pairings with each course for $15. We had Coconut snapper with cuke coolie, duck sausage and poached duck egg to start; pork three ways, hangar steak, for main; and banana chocolate trifle for dessert. Our daughter had green and white asparagus with polenta spears to start, salmon with roe for main, and a dessert coffee. We all found our food to be excellent. Each dish had multiple almost intricate flavor combinations, all nicely balanced. This is definitely a foodie's restaurant! Everything was freshly prepared, and all, even the breads are baked on premises. This was our first visit, but definitely not our last.
Vallet parking available, nice looking comfy bar, and very pleasant, professional wait staff.

Columbus, Ohio
“Outstanding restaurant”
Reviewed July 24, 2013

Large varied menus...regular, vegan/vegetarian, "Restaurant Week". I had roasted sardine appetizer with eggplant , lentils, and other veggies. It was good sized and perfectly prepared. Main course was stuffed tomato on veggie menu. Delicious. Others had charcuterie and dim sum appetizers from special menu and sole main course with comments similar to mine. Everything with beautiful presentation. Service was excellent. Atmosphere comfortable and quiet. Surely one of Columbus' best restaurants.