“Good hotel, poor staff”
Review of German Village Inn

German Village Inn
Ranked #106 of 145 Hotels in Columbus
Reviewed November 17, 2013

Checked in after a long night at roughly 1:00 AM. The doors to the office were locked and we had to ring a doorbell to check in. No one came until we rang about 10 times (10 minutes of waiting outside). The guy didn't even check my ID or run a credit card, but threw a room key at me and told me the room number (he had been asleep in the back room). We forgot about that ordeal, but then our room phone rang at 7:00 AM. There's nothing like waking up to someone saying, "Hello. Why you credit card decline?" I had to get dressed, go down to the office, pay with my credit card, and then try to go back to bed for another couple hours. When we finally checked out, the same guy was there and he didn't even ask how the stay was. I assume he knew he'd get an ear full. Totally unprofessional and I would not stay again. If you have to stay here, check in early, or you run the risk of having to wait around and being treated like you are the one imposing on the hotel staff.

Room Tip: The king bed is a true king size and is perfect for couples looking to sprawl out.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed November 3, 2013

Older type motel but clean,friendly people, price is great, I wanted to do some walking and it was close to all that I needed,would stay again...small bar is very nice...so many other great places are nearby.......

Room Tip: Don't allow the older exterior to fool you, inside is not bad at all !!!
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Sandy7267
Reviewed October 27, 2013

housekeeping was very nice but they smelled, and the owner was very cute and the room was clean and the bagels for breakfast were delicious. i had a pleasant stay would stay again.............................

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 20, 2013

With reviews of this property all over the place we were unsure what we'd find when we checked in. I agree with the others about the exterior which is underwhelming but unlike them could care less since that's not what is important. A classic older 2 story motor lodge is how I'd describe it. The room we had was plenty big enough, clean and with everything in good working order. At less than ninety dollars per night for a location on the outskirts of downtown the value is there.....if your expectations are reasonable. This is a Days Inn level hotel. While it's not what we'd typically stay in it worked very well for the Columbus Marathon. A 1.2 mile walk straight up High Street to the start and easy viewing of the race both out front (mile 12) and out back (mile 10) if you don't want to fight traffic and road closures.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank GoPackGo3535
Reviewed October 18, 2013

This place is such an American cliche, but it was a great place to hang out! I booked for 3 nights, and extended another 4.... The staff of the hotel were quiet and not very sociable, but the bar below is amazing!! Go check it out, it's small but classy, I started my night there every night before heading to the Arena District! Anyway the this place is cheap and American.....

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed October 9, 2013

A couple of friends and I booked this hotel to stay in the weekend of 10/5 for a convention we were attending. We picked the hotel because of the location and cost, but had I known we were going to be staying here, I would have gladly paid extra for a more suitable, comfortable, and CLEANLY place. When we arrived, the refrigerator AND microwave didn't work, so we had to spend money on purchasing meals instead of eating the food we brought. Also, the shower pressure was so powerful it was painful, and when we tried to adjust the pressure, the entire fixture came out of the wall, so we had to bathe for the weekend. We also noticed after walking barefoot in the room for a night, our feet were black and filthy. The beds had some cigarette burns on the sheets, and the towels we asked for were delivered to us from the staff- tinted gray and brown, like an old dish rag.The crew that hangs around outside made us extremely uncomfortable as well, and made us (3 young women) scared to leave our room during night hours. After the first night's experience, we decided to eat the cost of another pre-paid night in filth and headed home a day early. When we were trying to check out of our hotel, the desk had a sign that said "Stepped out for a moment, be back soon" And we waited for about 20 minutes until finally ringing the bell for someone to come to the window, which they still didn't. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone, and I will not be staying here again, as it ruined my weekend plans.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed May 24, 2013

My wife and I travel to Columbus at least once each year, sometimes more. While there we always visit German Village and go to Schmidt's Sausage Haus, the Book Loft and the Bluegrass Music Store. The German Village Inn is near all the local attractions. We stayed there last month for two nights. Off street parking, quiet at night. Clean room with HD TV, new mattresses and shower, microwave, refrigerator, etc, etc. A restful stay at about half the price of other hotels/motels in the area. We hope to spend at least one night in Columbus next week. If so, we'll stay at the German Village Inn.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple