“Better than ever!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ohio History Center

Ohio History Center
Ranked #25 of 140 things to do in Columbus
More attraction details
Owner description: The history of Ohio from the Ice Age to the present is chronicled inside this architecturally interesting concrete and glass structure, housing a vast collection of artifacts, exhibits on everything from ancient Indian cultures to industrial progress and archives documenting early settlers' daily lives.
Charleston, South Carolina
44 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 47 helpful votes
“Better than ever!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2013

When I lived in Columbus (1981-1999), I was a frequent visitor to the Historical Center. While visiting my in-laws during the Thanksgiving holiday, I went back for the first time in over a decade. Happily, everything I loved about the place is still on display, including: Amunet (the center's sole mummy), fossils from the Pleistocene (such as the Conway mastodon), artifacts representing Ohio’s ancient Native American heritage (including items associated with the mound-building cultures: Aden, Hopewell, and Cole), and exhibitions depicting the state's past and current flora and fauna.

I am not a big fan of change for change's sake. But I am happy to say that the exhibitions displaying these holdings have been revamped in ways that render them more attractive, more informative, and more entertaining. For example, the Native American Heritage collection now includes numerous video commentaries by experts whose explanations help place the items displayed within their proper cultural, historical, religious, and social contexts.

I learned more from this one visit than all my my numerous previous trips, and enjoyed myself thoroughly in the process. I was not the only one having fun. I witnessed families with small children having a good time. And one tween was completely engrossed in examining rocks in the geology exhibition.

The museum and gift shop staff were friendly and informative. The center is well worth the cost of admission and the time spent there. A great place to make new memories while remembering the past!

Visited November 2013

• Korean first
Columbus, Ohio
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Lots of memories in 1950's exhibit!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2013

The current special exhibit at the Ohio History Center features a complete Lustron Home which was at one time exhibited at the Museum of Modern Art in NYC. It is filled with "stuff" of the time, everything from kitchen contents to kid's toys to ladies' lingerie and much more. Esp. interesting to those of us who were young then, but took my teenage grandson on my second visit--a good vehicle for encouraging discussion of how daily life has changed since then.

Columbus, Ohio
83 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 77 helpful votes
“History Buffs Central”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2013

If you want to get an idea about Ohio what makes us special go here. The museum isn't HUGE but it isn't small. It;s not crowded. A membership isn't pricey and gets you invited to a lot of events and free entry to historical society sites all over the state. I like it, I want to go back soon.

Visited July 2013
Brisbane, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Ohio Historical Center & Village”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2013

After many visits to the Ohio Historical Center & village as a young girl I was sadly disappointed to find it in the state that it is in as of October 2013 when we visited again after a couple years away.They have completely destroyed the museum and it's exhibits on display all in favor of a bigger gift shop as they have removed many of the exhibits and put parts of other exhibits in other areas next to or near things that have NOTHING to do with each other.The big mammoth skeleton is still there as are the taxidermy animals and the geodes and other stones/minerals but they have removed the two headed sheep/goat,the mummy,the life size native American scenes and have moved their dioramas in with other things and it makes no sense. The Lustron exhibit on display as of October 2013 was a disgrace as my grandfather helped with the creation of those homes back in the day and it makes me sad to see something he was so proud of reduced to a sideshow attraction.The village is no longer open to the public outside of special events such as the Halloween event since it was October. We missed the event as we didn't know about it until we were actually at the museum so I can't say if they have changed the village as well but it wouldn't surprise me. I would recommend the village if they haven't destroyed it but give the museum itself a miss.

3 Thank Katelynn M
Wisconsin, USA
60 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 86 helpful votes
“Worth a visit, but not impressed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013

We went on a half price day during Experience Columbus weekend. The exhibits are dated and tired but are still educational and worthwhile. It is just one floor, I had expected more. I particularly enjoyed the 1950's exhibit. There was a lot of reading which we got tired of quickly. They could update with more interactive and tech savy exhibits, but obviously that costs money they probably don't have.

2 Thank travelgal058