“Really neat!”

Center of Science and Industry (COSI)
Ranked #20 of 161 things to do in Columbus
More attraction details
Owner description: Known as "COSI," this enormously popular attraction offers all sorts of hands-on exhibits, from conducting your own water experiments to creating a newscast to watching yourself age. Three movie theaters provide enough entertainment variety for the whole family.
Reviewed February 14, 2013

Ok, this is mostly for kids. And if you don't like crowds, and you don't like kids, you probably don't want to go here.

But the exhibits were neat. The demonstrations were fascinating. My only complaint is that we went on a saturday and it was really really busy. And if you go through some of the displays where you're supposed to try to figure out the answer yourself, the crowds didn't really allow you to do that because there were a ton of kids up front figuring everything out themselves. Especially the mazes are would have been a lot better without so many people. But hey, the fact that it's crowded means it's really popular and really worth the money!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,226)
All reviews
"whole family"
in 37 reviews
"great exhibits"

Reviewed February 3, 2013

The Center of Science and Industry (COSI) in Columbus is a medium sized hands on museum. As adults with no kids, we had a blast, each taking off on our own and meeting up a few hours later. Although I was perturbed by the extra fees for certain activities, I found more than enough to keep myself entertained without spending extra money. One of my favorite experiences was a group activity led by a young energetic docent who demonstrated static electricity. It was a group participation demo, and I joined hands with an elderly man and a young child and had a surprisingly shocking experience! It didn't hurt, of course... just surprised us all! It was very memorable! But my favorite discovery came when I was checking out the space capsule exhibit. I learned how the bathroom needs of the astronauts were taken care of, and even got to sit on a toilet! I figure that was worth the cost of the entrance fee! If this review was helpful, please let me know.

5  Thank Jodie D
Reviewed January 30, 2013

Another family fun activity we did while in Columbus over the weekend was to visit COSI, the Center of Science and Industry. We arrived just after their 10 A.M. opening to find that we weren’t the only ones with the idea of getting there early. Fortunately the ticket line for non-members wasn’t bad and we were on our way in minutes.

We were split into two groups for the majority of our visit. My wife took our two-year-old through the Little Kidspace, where he could have easily spent the entire day, while I took my twelve-year-old brother-in-law through the rest of the exhibits. He really seemed to enjoy the Progess exhibit, where we traveled through time and interacted with technology from 1898 and 1962. He was especially amazed at how big the TV’s were. We also spent a good amount of time in the Life exhibit as well as the latest traveling exhibit, Mindbender Mansion & Amazing Mazes, where we had to solve puzzles and got lost in a giant maze.

We stayed through lunch at the Atomic Café, which was better than I expected it to be, before we all moved on to see the Ocean exhibit together. At this point our little one was getting crabby and was ready for his afternoon nap. We could have easily stayed until the 5 P.M. closing but I thought that we saw most of the exhibits during our roughly four-hour stay.

2  Thank edpaffjr
Reviewed January 30, 2013

Looking for something to do with the kids. COSI is an awesome choice and something for all ages. The kids love coming here and the special exhibits always keep it new for the, although they would love to come just for the experience.

See more reviews
Reviewed January 24, 2013

We visited back in early September and were amazed at how much there was to do. Usually we get through science centers in less than three hours so we took advantage of their cheap night (I believe it was a Friday) where you get a very cheap admission after a certain hour in the evening. Your admission even allowed you access to their 3D movie. We completely under-estimated how much time we would need to see and do everything! The water exhibits were a lot of fun, especially the pipe building. Doing the body and strength tests was really interesting - and competitive! But the physics area was the most fun and interesting and understandably crowded. And there was even some fun activities outside! The movie featured meerkats and the theatre itself was nice - I wouldn't recommend the food though; a little over-priced. There was also a cool bike across a high-wire activity that we didn't have time to line up for. In the end we missed a couple of exhibits because there was so much to do and many of the exhibits were engaging so you were actually spending time playing around. I would definitely go again!

Be forewarned getting to this destination can be tricky! We weren't staying too far away but because of rush hour traffic it took us a long time to get there. Make sure you have detailed directions to get there and back!