“Only OK”

Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Florida
“Only OK”
Reviewed September 5, 2013

The reviews looked good, so being from out of town, I made reservations online. It took two days to receive an answer and they made reservations for the wrong time. I sent an email back correcting the time and did not get any response. When we showed up, there were only 4 tables occupied. We were not impressed with their food--I was expecting better results based on their food sourcing and descriptions. My lamb shank lacked flavor and his duck gnocchi was heavy and dry. The bistro salad was very good, the caesar salad OK. Drink prices were reasonable, the wine list was short, but diverse and reasonably priced. Service was good, ambiance so-so. Plenty of free parking across the street.

• Visited August 2013

Columbus, Ohio
“Alternative in Olde Towne”
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Very cool that the food is generally locally sourced. We've stopped in during Restaurant Week and a few other times. The hummus plate was a surprising find with the turnip chips - it's been life altering.

• Visited January 2013
Northfield
“Great Experience”
Reviewed June 24, 2013

We went for dinner and everything was excellent. Looked like they were doing a little remodeling but still a cool place with local artwork hanging on the walls.

First off they had a good beer selection (Fat Head Headhunter) so that is always a good start! Had the Pancetta Pear Crisps for an app, very light and flavorful. Definitely a good app.

I had the duck gnocchi and it was excellent. The menu claims it is what made them famous and I can see why. The sweetness of the cranberry with the richness of the duck was great together. I recommend trying it!

• Visited March 2013
Westerville, Ohio
“Excellent Lunch Destination”
Reviewed May 16, 2013 via mobile

Had the cilantro tuna melt w the open face curry turkey and mashed potato dish. Both were Excellent.
Chocolate cayenne creme brûlée and a lime Bavarian cream.
Super high quality, very unique, tasty, high quality food.
Check it out you won't be disappointed.

• Visited May 2013
Columbus, Ohio
“Still talking about our meal...in a good way!”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

My husband and I had 7:00 dinner reservations, but after a long day of running around the city, we couldn't wait any longer and showed up at Black Creek Bistro at 6:30 (bad dining manners, I know!). The host, however, seated us immediately.

We started our meals with salads. I have this "thing" about the greens in salads. I feel like most restaurants don't take the time to really look at the greens they're serving you, and I ALWAYS find rotted, slimy greens in my salads, which is a huge turnoff. The salad I had at Black Creek Bistro was perfect -- the greens were fresh and crisp and I was so delighted with it! (I told you, it's a "thing!" LOL). My husband ordered the duck gnocchi for his entree, and he is still talking about it two weeks later. He never gets terribly excited about restaurants, but he truly loved that dish!

The space is a little bit tight, but instead of feeling cramped, it felt cozy and intimate. The owner stopped by our table to check on us, which is always nice. The ONLY criticism I would have is that our server, while very skilled at his job, wasn't very friendly. But, I'd give them a pass on that...maybe he was having a bad night, but he still gave us excellent service.

As for price, we have a joke about anything over $50 being a "fancy dinner." So, while this was definitely a fancy dinner, it wasn't overly fancy, and it was well worth the price.

• Visited April 2013