“Real Mexican in Columbus - yes!”
Review of El Vaquero

Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Takeout
Reviewed May 10, 2013

Guacamole? - great & made to order
Soup? - Sopa Azteca - really good, with a kick - very fresh
A whole menu of vegetarian choices? - yes, and v. yummy.
This place has an extensive menu, and each dish I have had has been very tasty. I lived in So. Cal, Texas and New Mexico. I have had a LOT of spanish, mexican, tex-mex, New Mexican green chili, etc. and I feel I can tell the difference between real and not so real.
No - it does not have that Tex-Mex profound kick in the back of your mouth, and no, it doesn't have mind-blowing green chili bite - BUT - it is spicy, mildly hot and very flavourful. The vegetables are really good - never canned. The chicken is good. (I haven't tried the pork or beef yet). Great Spanish Rice. The guacamole is a real stand out -completely fresh. Portions are generous. Friendly, nice service. Prices reasonable. I tried the dessert flan, which was v. good, but they dress it up too much with chocolate sauce and whip cream. If I do that again, I'd ask for it to be plain,
The only dish I found disappointing was the mole chicken. Mole is a sauce of wonderful complexity, and the mole sauce here was just too simple. Not bad, just not as good as their other dishes.
The decor is a bit dark, and not distinctive - the bar is more festive.

1  Thank janet b

Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

We frequently go to the El Vaqueros in Dublin as my kids enjoy Saturday nights (FYI, this is balloon night in Dublin and the ballon guy makes all types of neat balloon animals & things). We also like the atmosphere and typically see people we know, it is a social place thus we take time to talk with friends. The margaritas are good, beer cold, and the food is typical or normal Mexican fair. However, the price is right thus a good value. Get there early on the weekends!

Reviewed December 11, 2012

On December 2nd, my friend and I went to eat at the El Vaquero after church. We have been there many times before and the food has always been great. When you go inside, you can't miss all the times that the restaurant has been voted the best in Columbus. A business doesn't win this award by being lazy. For the first time I had a Mexican style steak and it was marvelous. The service is always good-you never have to ask for a refill because the waitstaff are paying attention. Keep up the great food and I'll keep bringing people around.

Reviewed September 19, 2012

We went here for lunch after church on Sunday. The menu is huge (as usual with a lot of Mexican restaurants) and I must say, hard to read. The numbers (of the dishes) are not in chronological order, so the numbering system doesn't make sense to me. It takes a good 15 minutes to figure out what you want to order. The free chips come out warm and each person gets their own dipping bowl (which I appreciate!). Food comes fast and is hot, though I'm sure most of it is pre-prepped. Prices are average (about $10 each,,which isn't that cheap) and drinks are the crazy price of $2.50 each (my new pet peeve!). Lunch (with an Entertainment coupon applied), drinks, tax and tip came to about $52. Still feels pretty expensive to me for Sunday lunch. Note: after we had ordered I noticed a table tent with some really good lunch specials for $6.99. I wish I had seen it sooner as I for sure would have ordered that, as the price included a drink!...now that's a good deal!)

Reviewed June 13, 2012

Started out with free HUGE chips and salsa for free and added cheese dip for half price happy hour price. Ate on the patio where the temperature was perfect with a slight breeze. The inside appeared to be pretty cool and I would have needed a sweater in there. The Hawaiian Fajitas have shrimp, chicken, scallops, pineapple, onions, peppers, mushrooms, and was absolutely fantastic! I was surprised at the two huge dishes they put in front of me. The second dish had the refried beans, guacamole, sour cream, tomatos, cheese, lettuce. I took enough home for 2 more meals. Can't beat it for the price. Quality service and delicious food for a great price. The Hilliard-Rome Rd location.