“Refreshed and renovated”

Ranked #58 of 143 Hotels in Columbus
Stuck in MA
“Refreshed and renovated”
Reviewed June 10, 2013

I was told that this property was just done over in April 2013. Lobby does seem to be spanking new.
But room was not thoroughly cleaned. Also the shower head had pink mold on it. And I had someone knock and wake me up despite the "do not disturb" sign being on the door. So.... the next morning I felt less impressed. So I dropped off a comment card and within a few minutes the manager came over to sincerely apologize. Wow! That's never happened before. What customer service. So... if you stay here, I think you'd probably be happy, because they seem to take ownership of problems and try to fix them.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard Columbus Airport, responded to this review, June 23, 2013
BixUS,
It’s great to hear from you! I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us at Courtyard Columbus Airport. We always appreciate hearing from our guests, especially about areas where we can improve. We value your feedback and hope you will have an opportunity to visit us again soon to see our improvements. Thank you again for taking the time to talk with me and for writing this review.

Garry Kirkland, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
swqueen
Reviewed May 27, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for a few days... pro: comfortable beds, close to airport with free transportation, easy access to highway. Con: an employee came in room for no reason and when realize I was inside said oh just wanted to see if anyone was in here... so took away from feeling of privacy and safety.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank swqueen
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard Columbus Airport, responded to this review, June 9, 2013
swqueen,
Thank you for your review. I’m glad you found our accommodations comfortable and the proximity to the airport convenient for your travels. I sincerely apologize for the intrusion you encountered during your stay. The privacy and safety of our guests is of greatest importance to us. I have addressed this issue with our staff to heighten the awareness of such issues and improve our guest experience. We value you as our guest and hope you’ll have an opportunity to visit us again soon. Thank you again for writing.

USA
Reviewed May 13, 2013

Rooms are clean but...

I'm an IT consultant and bandwidth is important.

The Wifi is pathetically slow. We're talking 60kbps download with the purchase of a Wifi Upgraded Service.

I can't imagine how fast the free wifi is....

It's 2013 and having wifi speed a smudge better than dialup is unacceptable.

Hey Management... if you don't believe me, in the evening, go to a room yourself on the top floor and test the wifi speed at www.speedtest.net

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank phil-am-traveler
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard Columbus Airport, responded to this review, May 25, 2013
phil-am-traveler,
We appreciate you sharing your experience. Your feedback is important to us as we strive to improve our guests’ experience. I sincerely apologize for the frustrations you encountered with the wifi speed. I have shared your review and information with our corporate team and hope to make improvements soon. Thank you again for writing.

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed May 1, 2013 via mobile

I was surprised that the booking service I use didn't identify this hotel of having renovations. There is cement work that is being done all around the outside of the hotel. The inside is having new paint etc as well. It seems that all of the employees are doing a good job of carrying on business as usual, which is nice. I thought the service was great and I was not bothered at all by the renovations. Nothing very remarkable though that I was struck by, just very standard accommodations. I'm interested to see how it is once all the work is complete. Seems like it will be nice to stay for a couple days.

Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard Columbus Airport, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Kaptain4,
Thank you for writing a review about your stay with us at the Courtyard Columbus Airport. I’m glad you enjoyed your stay and felt well taken care of by our staff. We’re happy to inform you that our hotel’s full renovation is now complete with a newly designed lobby, an inviting bar and bistro, as well as our fully updated guestrooms. We hope you’ll return for another stay and to see our improvements. Thank you again for writing.

Gig Harbor, Washington
Reviewed April 26, 2013

Very nice hotel and very convenient to the airport. After a long trip visiting family back east, it was nice to have a night alone at the airport Marriott. They have all of the ammenities. Restaurant, lounge, pool, concierge floor, workout room and business center. The staff was very engaged and determined to make our stay enjoyable. We had an early flight home the next morning and the trip from our room to the airport terminal took maybe 5 minutes. Very nice place if you are in Columbus for business or pleasure.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard Columbus Airport, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Al R,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your experience with us at the Courtyard Columbus Airport. I’m glad we were able to provide you with a comfortable, relaxing stay after a long trip. We appreciate your complimentary feedback of our hotel, as we are proud to offer a wonderful variety of amenities to our guests. Thank you again for your review and recommendations to future travelers. Please plan to visit us again soon.

Delphos, Ohio
Reviewed April 16, 2013

We arrived a bit before check-in. Front desk called up to see if room was ready, they said give us 5 minutes. I said no problem we will get our luggage and by that time it should be 5 minutes. went to room very nice renovated king room, with sleeper sofa. Room was cold, so I turned up the heat and my daughter got ready for her dance competition. We were out of the room 10 minutes later. We attended her competition, and didn't go right back to room. Instead we went shopping and returned to the room shortly after r11 PM that evening. Well, well, the room was absolutely freezing. Went over and checked the temperature, and it was on heat, turned the fan up but it just blew cold air. Waited about 10 minutes and called the desk. Someone came up, not a maintenance person as he was dressed up. He fiddled with it, and then turned it off and said I'm going to go reset it then I will be back in about 10 minutes to turn it back on. I said okay. He returned and turned it on, he words were "there it is starting to blow hot air, give it ten minutes and you should be good". Waited over ten minutes and it was still blowing the cold air, and the room was getting colder, and colder by the minute. Phoned the desk again, they stated someone would be up. About 10 minutes later there was a knock at the door, and there was what I thought was a maintenance man at our door(he was dressed in the type of uniform that a maintenance man would wear). He had two blankets, and he stated you called for more blankets, I stated no I didn't, we need our heat fixed. He went over and messed with it, and said he didn't know. He would have the desk contact us. After waiting another 10-15 minutes and no one contacting us, I phoned the desk. I was met with well we sent blankets and you refused them, I stated we have extra blankets, for the night however that will not help in the morning when we need to shower and it is cold in here and we are trying to get ready. I was then told well I don't have maintenance personnel on sight now, it will have to wait till tomorrow. NOTHING ELSE AT ALL. At that point I was angry and told him thanks for nothing and would be contacting Marriott and Priceline. I hung the phone up. I contacted Priceline, who put me on hold while they contacted the hotel.. Finally after another 20 minutes, they came back on and said there aren't any other rooms available. Tim had never relayed this to me. Priceline stated I could check out of the motel and go elsewhere, my response was where are 2 women going at midnight in the city and I wasn't paying for another room. After back and forth on this, Priceline said they would try and find another room for me, and that they would refund my money. After another 15 minutes they called me back with another room at a nearby hotel. They asked that I return the keys which I said I would. We got our stuff all loaded up and as we were leaving it dawned on me there was a Marriott right next door, why hadn't they offered to move us there. When I returned the keys I told Tim thanks for nothing and why didn't you move us to your sister hotel right next. His response was that the two hotels were not in the same chain, I said excuse me this is Courtyard by Marriott and they are Marriott, he again insisted they were not in the same chain. Told him thanks for nothing, and he shrugged his shoulders and very arrogantly said there was nothing I could do. I did call Marriott the next day, and I did hear back from them, however they were very wishy washy about it. Their response is as follows
" I am responding to the customer care complaint received on your behalf by our
customer care platform.

I have reviewed the issues regarding your stay here. I am very sorry for the
problems connected to your stay. We always endeavor to ensure maintenance
problems such as the one you experienced are avoided. On the rare occasions they
do occur our priority is to make the necessary repairs. Regretfully we had no
maintenance personel on site at the time your heater did not work and so our
options were limited. According to the report from that night, moving you next
door was not an option due to lack of availability there. We did try to offer
you extra blankets but of course I understand that this was not enough to ensure
a comfortable stay.

As a gesture of goodwill, I would like to offer you a free priority upgrade to
suite-class room should you choose to stay with us again (subject to
availability). Simply present a printed copy of this letter at check-in to
redeem this.

Kind regards,

George Bradley
Guest Care Supervisor / Accounts Payable
Courtyard by Marriott
2901 Airport Drive
Columbus, OH 43219
I feel this is not satisfactory and I responded back to him as follows:

Thank you for your response. I do want to make a few additional comments
Tim specifically never told me there was no room next door. He told me the
two hotels were not the same company therefore he couldn't move me over there . He never once told me that either hotel was full. Blankets do not take care of the problem when one is showering in the morning and trying to get ready in the cold. He did not go out of his way to rectify the situation. I felt his attitude was "tough you have no heat and you will Just have to deal with it". It was one of the most horrible nights ever. My trip advisor review on your hotel is being done the next day or two. I was waiting on hearing from Marriott and now I have, so I will proceed with my review. Yes you did offer an upgrade for my next stay at your property in Columbus Ohio but it is based on availability and I can just about guess, it won't be available.
Furthermore I won't be staying overnight in Columbus, as this was for a dance competition my daughter was participating in at Alladins Temple by Easton and she is a senior in high school and her last year for participating. We have no other competitions scheduled in Columbus. Our next and last one is scheduled for Mason Ohio the first weekend of May.

As of today I have heard nothing further from this hotel or from Marriott itself. I am a rewards Member and have stayed at several different Marriott, and this is the first time I have been met with such indifference in a stay.

Room Tip: Avoid Tim at all costs, he won't care about you being comfortable, and will not go out of his wa...