“Under construction, but "ok"”

Courtyard Columbus Airport
Ranked #61 of 143 Hotels in Columbus
Ann Arbor, Michigan
“Under construction, but "ok"”
Reviewed May 1, 2013 via mobile

I was surprised that the booking service I use didn't identify this hotel of having renovations. There is cement work that is being done all around the outside of the hotel. The inside is having new paint etc as well. It seems that all of the employees are doing a good job of carrying on business as usual, which is nice. I thought the service was great and I was not bothered at all by the renovations. Nothing very remarkable though that I was struck by, just very standard accommodations. I'm interested to see how it is once all the work is complete. Seems like it will be nice to stay for a couple days.

Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard Columbus Airport, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Kaptain4,
Thank you for writing a review about your stay with us at the Courtyard Columbus Airport. I’m glad you enjoyed your stay and felt well taken care of by our staff. We’re happy to inform you that our hotel’s full renovation is now complete with a newly designed lobby, an inviting bar and bistro, as well as our fully updated guestrooms. We hope you’ll return for another stay and to see our improvements. Thank you again for writing.

Garry Kirkland, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Gig Harbor, Washington
Reviewed April 26, 2013

Very nice hotel and very convenient to the airport. After a long trip visiting family back east, it was nice to have a night alone at the airport Marriott. They have all of the ammenities. Restaurant, lounge, pool, concierge floor, workout room and business center. The staff was very engaged and determined to make our stay enjoyable. We had an early flight home the next morning and the trip from our room to the airport terminal took maybe 5 minutes. Very nice place if you are in Columbus for business or pleasure.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard Columbus Airport, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Al R,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your experience with us at the Courtyard Columbus Airport. I’m glad we were able to provide you with a comfortable, relaxing stay after a long trip. We appreciate your complimentary feedback of our hotel, as we are proud to offer a wonderful variety of amenities to our guests. Thank you again for your review and recommendations to future travelers. Please plan to visit us again soon.

Delphos, Ohio
Reviewed April 16, 2013

We arrived a bit before check-in. Front desk called up to see if room was ready, they said give us 5 minutes. I said no problem we will get our luggage and by that time it should be 5 minutes. went to room very nice renovated king room, with sleeper sofa. Room was cold, so I turned up the heat and my daughter got ready for her dance competition. We were out of the room 10 minutes later. We attended her competition, and didn't go right back to room. Instead we went shopping and returned to the room shortly after r11 PM that evening. Well, well, the room was absolutely freezing. Went over and checked the temperature, and it was on heat, turned the fan up but it just blew cold air. Waited about 10 minutes and called the desk. Someone came up, not a maintenance person as he was dressed up. He fiddled with it, and then turned it off and said I'm going to go reset it then I will be back in about 10 minutes to turn it back on. I said okay. He returned and turned it on, he words were "there it is starting to blow hot air, give it ten minutes and you should be good". Waited over ten minutes and it was still blowing the cold air, and the room was getting colder, and colder by the minute. Phoned the desk again, they stated someone would be up. About 10 minutes later there was a knock at the door, and there was what I thought was a maintenance man at our door(he was dressed in the type of uniform that a maintenance man would wear). He had two blankets, and he stated you called for more blankets, I stated no I didn't, we need our heat fixed. He went over and messed with it, and said he didn't know. He would have the desk contact us. After waiting another 10-15 minutes and no one contacting us, I phoned the desk. I was met with well we sent blankets and you refused them, I stated we have extra blankets, for the night however that will not help in the morning when we need to shower and it is cold in here and we are trying to get ready. I was then told well I don't have maintenance personnel on sight now, it will have to wait till tomorrow. NOTHING ELSE AT ALL. At that point I was angry and told him thanks for nothing and would be contacting Marriott and Priceline. I hung the phone up. I contacted Priceline, who put me on hold while they contacted the hotel.. Finally after another 20 minutes, they came back on and said there aren't any other rooms available. Tim had never relayed this to me. Priceline stated I could check out of the motel and go elsewhere, my response was where are 2 women going at midnight in the city and I wasn't paying for another room. After back and forth on this, Priceline said they would try and find another room for me, and that they would refund my money. After another 15 minutes they called me back with another room at a nearby hotel. They asked that I return the keys which I said I would. We got our stuff all loaded up and as we were leaving it dawned on me there was a Marriott right next door, why hadn't they offered to move us there. When I returned the keys I told Tim thanks for nothing and why didn't you move us to your sister hotel right next. His response was that the two hotels were not in the same chain, I said excuse me this is Courtyard by Marriott and they are Marriott, he again insisted they were not in the same chain. Told him thanks for nothing, and he shrugged his shoulders and very arrogantly said there was nothing I could do. I did call Marriott the next day, and I did hear back from them, however they were very wishy washy about it. Their response is as follows
" I am responding to the customer care complaint received on your behalf by our
customer care platform.

I have reviewed the issues regarding your stay here. I am very sorry for the
problems connected to your stay. We always endeavor to ensure maintenance
problems such as the one you experienced are avoided. On the rare occasions they
do occur our priority is to make the necessary repairs. Regretfully we had no
maintenance personel on site at the time your heater did not work and so our
options were limited. According to the report from that night, moving you next
door was not an option due to lack of availability there. We did try to offer
you extra blankets but of course I understand that this was not enough to ensure
a comfortable stay.

As a gesture of goodwill, I would like to offer you a free priority upgrade to
suite-class room should you choose to stay with us again (subject to
availability). Simply present a printed copy of this letter at check-in to
redeem this.

Kind regards,

George Bradley
Guest Care Supervisor / Accounts Payable
Courtyard by Marriott
2901 Airport Drive
Columbus, OH 43219
I feel this is not satisfactory and I responded back to him as follows:

Thank you for your response. I do want to make a few additional comments
Tim specifically never told me there was no room next door. He told me the
two hotels were not the same company therefore he couldn't move me over there . He never once told me that either hotel was full. Blankets do not take care of the problem when one is showering in the morning and trying to get ready in the cold. He did not go out of his way to rectify the situation. I felt his attitude was "tough you have no heat and you will Just have to deal with it". It was one of the most horrible nights ever. My trip advisor review on your hotel is being done the next day or two. I was waiting on hearing from Marriott and now I have, so I will proceed with my review. Yes you did offer an upgrade for my next stay at your property in Columbus Ohio but it is based on availability and I can just about guess, it won't be available.
Furthermore I won't be staying overnight in Columbus, as this was for a dance competition my daughter was participating in at Alladins Temple by Easton and she is a senior in high school and her last year for participating. We have no other competitions scheduled in Columbus. Our next and last one is scheduled for Mason Ohio the first weekend of May.

As of today I have heard nothing further from this hotel or from Marriott itself. I am a rewards Member and have stayed at several different Marriott, and this is the first time I have been met with such indifference in a stay.

Room Tip: Avoid Tim at all costs, he won't care about you being comfortable, and will not go out of his wa...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 1, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is currently going through a renovation. Although the construction had stopped by dinner time the paint fumes filled the air which made for a light headed night.

I wish I would have been notified of the reservation before I arrived late at the hotel

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank Flipper09
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard Columbus Airport, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Flipper09,
Thank you for your review. I apologize if the renovation caused any discomfort during your stay. Your feedback is important to us because it allows us to hear directly from our guests and make improvements to provide a more satisfying experience. I hope you will return to see our improvements. Thank you again.

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed March 14, 2013

This hotel is well-kept, clean and has a great layout; however, there were some aspects that most hotels have that were strangely missing from this place. There was no elevator, which with only two floors is not a big deal - unless you have 3 suitcases and a carry-on (I travel 9 months out of the year), are arriving at 4:00AM and your room is on the second floor. There was also no shuttle, which was extremely odd considering the airport is within eyesight of the hotel. It's rare to have a hotel, especially one marketed for its proximity to the airport, with no airport shuttle. There was also a bar/cafe, which was unfortunately unstaffed during the day. The bar would open up at night, but there was no one to serve the coffee during the day. The laundry machines are ancient and not reliable. On the plus side, the hotel is clean, and the balcony/sliding doors in every room was great. Overall, the hotel holds promise but needs some changes to make it a solid "Marriott."

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed March 11, 2013

I suspect this is normally a 4-star hotel by my standards but there is significant construction going on (March, 2013) which brought it down. If you are there to sleep in be sure to get a room away from the construction.

The internet seems to overload on weeknights when capacity is high and I wasn't able to connect Thursday night. In the morning and weekend it was fine. I mentioned it to the front desk staff who knew of the problem.

I will say that the staff is very friendly. The shuttle to/from the airport is very responsive and quick. In spite of the construction (which won't go on forever) this is a nice hotel close to the airport.

Room Tip: Avoid construction on adjoining floors.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard Columbus Airport, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
FlyingGringo,
Thank you for sharing your experience with us at Courtyard. We appreciate you choosing to stay with us, and we're glad you had a nice visit. Should your travels bring you back to our area, we hope you'll visit us again. Safe travels.
Reviewed February 19, 2013

Stayed February 16th and 17th. Unfortunately I was not told about the remodeling until I arrived (late on the 16th). Lobby and eating are are closed as was the third floor and half of the second. A baskest of ear plugs were on display in the makeshift lobby. Staff did go out of their way to see to our needs. Location is one exit away from airport and on the main road to downtown Columbus. Typical courtyard room. I will try it again when the pounding stops.

Room Tip: Center rooms overlooking courtyard will be most quiet.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard Columbus Airport, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
robbinsjnj,
Thank you for your review. We appreciate you choosing to stay with us at Courtyard. I apologize for the remodeling work disturbing you. We are making great changes here at Courtyard, and we hope you'll visit us again to see our new look. Thanks again.