“Never ever ever ever again” 1 of 5 stars

Econo Lodge Brice Road
Econo Lodge Brice Road
Ranked #106 of 141 Hotels in Columbus
Fort Wayne, Indiana
“Never ever ever ever again”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2010

I made this reservation (or so I thought) to use some of my choice points but not have to spend them all.. what a mistake! I looked up location from downtown and it seemed to be a quick drive down the highway so I figured we would give it a shot. We arrived around noon. i know typically check-in isn't until later but MOST hotels will allow you to check in early if you are traveling from out of town. Let me just start with the horror of my check-in experience. We pulled up and my first thought was "this looks like the set of a bad horror movie".. previous reviews that it is rundown is being kind. It's old, dirty, and in serious need of repair. When we arrived early, i walked into the lobby (which has bullet proof glass at the service desk, should've taken this as a sign to run away) and the woman that greets me tells me that its too early to check in. I asked when I could return and she sighs loudly and says "give us an hour or so to get the rooms cleaned PLEASE". Fair enough. I was early. She didn't have to be snotty to me but I gave her the benefit of the doubt, maybe she was having a bad day. We leave and go eat lunch.. come back in 2 hours. Room still isn't ready and she isnt any nicer about it. I sit in the car for another 45 mins and go back in, she asks me for my credit card and gives me slip to sign saying that the room is $65. I explain to her that I made the reservation online and that I used my points to pay for it. She looks at the screen and says.. no you didn't you have to pay. So i argue with her a little, still being somewhat nice, its obviously a misunderstanding and can be fixed, right? Wrong. I call Choice Privileges and the gentleman explains that i did it wrong (ok, not sure how-- i selected Redeem Points, but whatever he was very friendly and apologetic and i was not very nice by this time) and that the hotel clerk would have to fix it. I tell this to the clerk and she says.. no you're past the cancellation period, your credit card has already been charged. What?! Seriously? I tell her that i don't want to cancel, i just want it changed so that my points can be redeemed instead. She WALKS AWAY without a word... just turns and walks away. Now i am furious. A guy comes out of the back and tells me that there's nothing he can do because hes not a manager. So I ask, I'm stuck here? You have already taken my money, you're refusing to switch my reservation.. I just have to take it? He says yes and then answers a ringing phone. The rude lady comes back and says... well give me your card so i can get you checked in. I ask why she needs my card because its already been charged.. she says for verification. I gave her my license, again, why does she need my card? I finally give up, give her the card and proceed with check-in. The answer was, because my card hadn't been charged yet. I checked my statement, the charge didn't appear until days later and hadn't actually been charged until she ran it that afternoon. So she was a wench and a liar.
We get into our room and wow. It was disgusting. Wallpaper peeling, stains on everything.. and i do mean everything. Lightbulbs only worked in 2 of the lamps in the room. Plugged my laptop in to the only plug near the table and it fell out of the socket.. i had to plug it in to an outlet that is for some reason 6 ft up on the wall? There was ONE towel and ONE washcloth in the outhouse/bathroom... and no toilet paper. Not a single scrap to be found. The remote for the TV had duct tape holding the batteries in and the fridge wasn't cold, but the leftovers from the previous guests were.. i know this because they were still in there. I called the front desk and was told to come down and get some toilet paper... apparently it's self service. This is probably the WORST service i have ever had at a hotel/motel. I realize it is an economy chain but i think state laws mandate cleaning and restocking rooms between guests and its bad for business to have a hateful wench working the front desk.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
      Sleep Quality
9 Thank Rikkirikkirikki

Columbus,Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2009

We stayed at this econolodge over the Labor Day weekend due to a power outage in our home. When we arrived there the night staff was somewhat friendly. Our room was what we expected for a budget hotel, but, the beds we're so uncomfortable. The housekeeping staff was very rude! They only gaves us 2 towels and wash rags for a family of five!! On our last night there, I reached into a cabniet where I was keeping my 8 month old daughters baby food, and a cockroach craweled out!! Not to mention there was a needle in the parking lot! Also, their free "breakfast" are tiny donuts and toast! We will NEVER stay there again!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
3 Thank stumpyale
Park Rapids Minnesota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2008

I stayed at this Econo Lodge for a week and a half for a youth conference for our church. When we got there the place wasnt clean at all. We had to go ask the front desk for our towels, and toilet bowl cleaner. The place was extremly discusting. The beds were uncomfortable. The sheets and comforters had stains all over them and batteries inside of them. The walls were paper thin and you could hear everything in the other rooms. We were barely there. We found other places to go through out the day just so we wouldnt have to be there. I would never stay there again.

• Liked — It was cheap
  • Disliked — It was very unclean
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank KassieLynn
Orlando, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2008

I had to get a hotel in Columbus for a early flight and this was the cheapest hotel in the Choice Hotel System that was close to the airport. The hotel was reasonably clean but was kind of old and is more like a motel. It only took me about 15 to 20 mins to get to the airport and would recommend only for a one night stay.

• Stayed February 2008, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars
1 Thank smallcatoh
Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2008

I was redeeming some comfort inn points at this sister motel location, flying blindly into the unkown booking off choice hotels reservation website and having not stayed at any Econo Lodge in the recent past. I remember them to be average or maybe worse but certainly not this bad. This place is best described as a transient motel.

This joints an old Knights inn ...and I mean OLD.

check inn was a 20 minute ordeal.
I was finally assigned a room 324 (supposedly the only clean room available) in a rear building...and upon entering found no heat...it was probably 16 degrees in the room. Kicked on the wall heater, at least it worked...all fixtures were old and shoddy and in need of updates., the walls were stained, cracked, dented and paint was peeling,. I wouldn't use the shower it was that dirty...
The chairs in the room had crumbs on them (not morsels). and they were stained as well. Lamp above bed broken and shade stained and tore.. towels were dirty. (like someone wiped off their car and the stain couldn't come out). Exterior of building bad.

It's the kind of motel where you'd think twice about maybe sleeping in your car instead.. It didn't give me the feeling of safety, it was as bad as any chain location can get.

choice hotels should be ashamed to be associated with this dump....and should pull the plug, and rip down the econo lodge signs..

• Liked — I lived through the night without my car being broken into
  • Disliked — It wasn't a walmart or Target yet.
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled with family
Exeter, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2007

This little hotel was not bad...but it was older..and it showed.. But, it served the purpose of a clean bed and a good nights sleep and a hot shower.
It is also pet friendly... we were traveling with my cat to Illinois from PA.
Anyway, there is a computer in the check in area, and free donuts and coffee in the morning. Not a big selection, so you may want to go out for breakfast. But again, if you just want to grab something and go..this is fine.
I would recommend it for a one night stay if you are traveling.

• Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Columbus
Red Roof Inn Columbus East Reynoldsburg
Hampton Inn Columbus-East
#1 of 3 in Pickerington
4.0 of 5 stars 309 reviews
BEST WESTERN Executive Suites - Columbus East

Been to Econo Lodge Brice Road? Share your experiences!