“Not what I expected” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #109 of 141 Hotels in Columbus
New Albany, Ohio, United States
“Not what I expected”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

I have never experienced an "extended stay" hotel before. The front desk staff was very gracious and the room was clean! The amenities were a plus (hardwood floors in the kitchenette and bathroom) the bed was comfortable and I was pleased. The one setback was there were only two pillows instead of four on the bed which is just a personal quirk of mine not of the hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars
Manager-TOH, Manager at Extended Stay America - Columbus - Worthington, responded to this review, December 20, 2012
Stacy,
Thank you for taking your time to write a review of your recent stay at our Columbus Worthington property. It is a delight to read your comments being your first experience with Extended Stay America. We strive to provide a "home away from home" experience for all of our guests, no matter if they are staying for a night, a week, or a month. It sounds like we were able to do just that for you, and we are truly honored for your recognition. You mentioned your preference of having additional pillows. Great news, Extended Stay America is currently undergoing several upgrades to our hotels that include new beds, new bedding, adding additional pillows, and upgrade to guestroom lighting. Please know that we would be thrilled to have you again as our guest should your travel needs bring you back to the Columbus area. Thanks again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Traverse City, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

This Extended Stay is an exceptional value for the money. It was clean comfortable, courteous, convenient and well managed. The location is great for restaurants yet quiet. The staff was very helpful and accommodating. It’s great to be able to prepare your own food and not have to eat out all the time. The bed mattresses are really good. We will go back.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Columbus - Worthington, responded to this review, August 27, 2012

Cleveland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012

The desk clerk on duty that nice was friendly; the good news ends there.
I stayed at the Extended Stay on Friday, June 29. When I arrived, it was just after 3:00 - the time listed as check-in time - but my room was not ready. The clerk apologized, then after waiting for about 15 minutes, he offered me a room that he said had a broken closet. Since I had no need for any kind of closet, I took the room, room 118.
It wasn't just the closet. To start, I counted two cigarette holes in the comforter; pulling back the comforter revealed at least three cigarette holes in the blanket. In addition, the sheets were thin and old. There were also a couple of stains on the nightstand, and rust in the drain of the sink.
Now, I wasn't expecting the Ritz, but this is unacceptable at any price point. The closet was indeed broken - a couple of the bars looked like they had been ripped from the wall - but that was not the problem. There is something WRONG about spending money to sleep in a bed with holes in the bedding.
True, I did not ask for a different room or new bedding, but then again, I shouldn't have to. I paid just north of 50 bucks for the room on Hotwire, but I won't do it again: There are better options in the C-bus area...

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars
, Manager at Extended Stay America - Columbus - Worthington, responded to this review, July 11, 2012
I recently received a copy of your review. Our company prides itself on providing great service and great rooms at great rates, which is why I was so disappointed to read your post. Please accept my most sincere apologies.

Please know that we have strict quality control standards that are meant to prevent a situation like yours from occurring. I recognize the issues you have brought to my attention with the cigarette burns, carpet stains, broken closet, and the rust in the sink drain and discussed it with hotel staff and management to prevent from reoccurring.

Although it is discouraging to read, it will help us make our hotel even better in the future. Let me apologize again that your stay was not completely satisfying, and assure you that we will continue to listen to our guests in forums like this one. I hope that you would allow us a another opportunity to give us the pleasure of having you as a guest again at this hotel or any other Extended Stay Hotels(sm) brand location in the future.
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2012

I have stayed at this location consistently since 2010. Usually my stays are one month plus during the summer months. Clean, Quiet & great for Columbus business work. I have stayed at this location 100 nights + with 0 problems...

Room Tip: Bottom Floor rooms are convenient & quiet
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Dave,

Thank you so very much for your glowing review of Extended Stay America Columbus - Worthington. Whenever I read comments from a valued guest it always gives me such great pleasure. My entire staff strives to make every guest's stay totally enjoyable, and our greatest reward is validation that we've done just that during your stays since 2010. As a member of the Extended Stay Hotels(sm) family, we are proud to be a part of the premier lodging source for business and leisure travelers looking for a great room at a great rate. We know that our largest asset is our loyal base of customers like you, which is why we are so firmly committed to your satisfaction. Please know that we would be thrilled to continue to have you as our guest during your upcoming travels. Once again, thanks for all of your very kind words.
Columbus, OH
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

I had no problem with check-in, and the room was clean as as expected. While I can forgive not providing a hair dryer (although there was an iron and ironing board), I was very surprised that no shampoo or conditioner was provided. There were only two pillows on the queen size bed; most places provide 4. The A/C worked well, and there was plenty of hot water with good pressure. The microwave was only 700 watts, but scorched my bag of microwave popcorn using the pre-programmed button for the correct size bag, so you should keep an eye on it.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
      Cleanliness
, Manager at Extended Stay America - Columbus - Worthington, responded to this review, July 16, 2012
It was very kind of you to for take the time to publish a positive review of your stay at the Extended Stay America Columbus - Worthington. It's always satisfying to read positive feedback from our valued guests, like you. Although some companies run extravagant advertising campaigns for their hotels, we believe that the best kind of marketing is the public praise we get from our millions of happy customers. That's why the biggest investment we make is in our customers. Our company motto is ""Excellence Every Day, Every Way"", and my promise to you is that we will continue to operate according to this practice; after all, that's how Extended Stay Hotels(sm) got to be the largest extended stay lodging brand in North America.

Willoughby, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

I would not recommend this hotel for anyone who is looking for a clean, comfortable place to stay. When we got there, the girl from the front desk was outside smoking and talking on her cell phone. We had some trouble checking in ( that was not the hotels fault though) and had to wait almost a half hour to be able to check in. We left to go get something to eat while we waited and when we got back, the girl was outside smoking and talking on her cell again.

When we got up to the room, the air condition was not on and it was super hot in the room. The beds were rock hard. My friend tried to bounce on them and they barely even moved. There was what looked like a small blood stain on the bed sheet. After about four hours, the room was still really hot. The air condition was obviously not working right. I would like to point out though that when I woke up the next morning the room was freezing. So at one point during the night it seemed the air conditioning actually kicked in and started working. The room was overall clean though. There were a couple places that it seemed the workers were just too lazy to clean. For example, it looked like there was either a chocolate stain or brown nail polish on the heater.

I had to run out to the car at one point and again the girl from the front desk was outside smoking and talking on her cell phone, while inside there was someone sitting in the lobby waiting for help. I just wouldn't recommend staying in this hotel, especially for more than one day. I have stayed in cheaper hotels that were more comfortable than this.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank slm89
ChristopherTM, Manager at Extended Stay America - Columbus - Worthington, responded to this review, June 13, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Extended Stay America Columbus - Worthington. Given our company's commitment to superior guest satisfaction, I was disheartened to read that your stay wasn't 100% satisfactory. Please understand how truly sorry I am.

Killeen, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2012

The staff is rude and VERY unproffessional. We had an extremely bad experience here and would not reccommend for anyone to stay here. We had a very expensive item stolen out of our room and when we called the front dest to report the situation the man working at the front desk basically acted like it was no big deal and there was nothing that we could do about it. He did not offer us any kind of solution to figure out the issue. I had to ask him if they had cameras, which he stated "no", which in my mind, what kind of respectable "extended stay" does not have cameras? After we told him that we were going to call the police to make a report is when he told us that we needed to get off the property. So, we waited for the Police to arrive outside in the cold. What kind of Customer Service is that. We were dumfounded by this. We have never been treated so horrible. We asked the maid if she had noticed anyone on our floor and she stated that she had not and her exact quote was "oh, yeah we have thefts happen ALL the time and our cars even get broken into in the parking lot". We finally got in touch with the Hotel Manager a few days later and his exact quote was "we never have any issues or theft or any problems for that matter and the police never get called out here". HMM.

So basically we got nothing resolved in the matter and the Hotel Manager was rude and basically did not want to hear that maybe one of his staff members may have been in the wrong. Instead he defended his employee and the way that he had treated us. No resolution was offered to solve the matter and make us feel better about the situation. We have never dealt with a business that treated their guests so badly before. We will NEVER stay at any hotel that is tied in with the Extended Stay Suites again.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family