“BED BUGS......enough said!!” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #86 of 143 Hotels in Columbus
BGSUGIRLIE
“BED BUGS......enough said!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2012

We went to an Ohio State football game, and stayed here because it was one of the few hotels, with vacancies. (that should have been the first clue!) We reserved three rooms. The football game was a late game, so we didn't check in until after midnight. The hotel did not appear to be too run down, but could have been cleaner. It wasn't until morning, that we were mortified. We found a bug crawling on our bed, and after some "googling" discovered it was a bed bug!!!! My husband, carried it down to the front desk, and the front desk clerk knew exactly what it was and didn't appear too alarmed. She wasn't able to give us a refund because we booked through hotels.com. She did offer us a free night stay if we would come back.....ummmm, no thank you! She willingly handed over extra large garbage bags, so all three of our rooms could bag up our belongings. After researching, it appears bed bugs are becoming a widespread problem and are not only found at dirty places. So, I understand they can be anywhere, but as a hotel, to offer no discount or refund for the room, I find completely unacceptable! Not to mention the fact that I am covered with bites! So gross! We contacted hotels.com after returning home, and they gave us a fifty percent discount on one room out of three and a twenty dollar voucher to use for a future reservation. Upon researching bed bugs further, if you get them in your home, it is extremely expensive to have them eradicated. We have treated all of our belongings that were in the hotel room. We are grateful we saw the bug, otherwise we would have been clueless, and possibly wrote the bites off to mosquitos from tailgating. Hoping to save other travelers the unnecessary worry, a possible nightmare and their money!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank BGSUGIRLIE
i0735, Manager at Red Roof Inn & Suites Columbus West Broad, responded to this review, October 12, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay with us. I firstly want to apoligize for your bad expierence with us, this is unusual for guest who stay with us.

I am glad to know you realize that bed bugs are a huge problem in today's day and age. We take every precaution with beg bugs by having rooms inspected and treated by a pest control company. Though we try our hardest to prevent this big issue, rare cases as yours may arise in which guest encounter the gruesome pest.

We do not take matters such as bed bugs lightly and treat every room if a single spec of evidence from bed bugs show up.

If a guest as yourself encounters a bed bug, we offer a full refund and if you have made a reservation through a third party site, we inform that company to refund your money for we strongly believe that no guest should come across these pests.

I want to reassure that we take every precaution to prevent bed bugs and we have a zero tolerance for them.

General Manger

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
proctorville ohio
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2012

We went as a family. They had ants everywhere. Did not have nothing near by to order from. My son had a accident in the bed. And they did not even have extra bed clothes to give us. ... I WILL NEVER STAY THERE AGAIN. IT WAS THE WORST PLACE I HAVE EVER STAYED AT. ..

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
i0735, Manager at Red Roof Inn & Suites Columbus West Broad, responded to this review, July 31, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay. I am sorry we fell short of our goal which is 100% guest satisfaction. I will speak to the FD GSR about the proper procedures to follow when this type of incident occurs in the future. We do have extra terry and linen on site so I don’t understand why our GSR would think we did not have it available. Either way I will speak with my staff. As for restaurants we have Bob Evans, Waffle House, Roosters, Tim Horton’s and Arby’s. All of these are within .5 of a mile.

In addition, we have renovated all the bathrooms, building exterior and added fresh fruit to our continental breakfast.

Again, I apologize we fell short of our goal to provide 100% satisfaction. I hope that you will give us another chance in the future.

Mtg.
Aurora, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2012

Stayed here for 3 nights. Honestly glad I was going home.

Pros:
1) Breakfast was great - good variety every day

Cons:
1) Price was 'supposed' to be great, but when I received my credit card statement a few weeks later, it was $20.00 higher than what I was charged for the room, and the funny thing was when I asked the clerk at the front desk for a receipt, she refused to give me one. That should have tipped me off. Make sure they don't charge any 'extra' fees.

2) Towels were DIRTY. Every one of them! Two had PUBIC HAIR on them - gross! Some face towels had foundation make-up. I requested the maid service for some CLEAN towels (and even tipped them for some), but they still didn't give me a CLEAN one

3) Paper thin walls. I could clearly hear the radio from the room next door. I stayed on the ground floor - you WILL hear people outside especially if you have a room near the pool, There were really loud, obnoxious guests shouting and laughing in the hallways at 2:00 a.m. and when I went to see the clerk at the front desk about it, he/she wasn't there.

My advice... don't stay here unless you bring ear-plugs, your own towels, and pay in cash!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dear Guest,

I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations during your stay with us. We pride ourselves on clean, maintenance free rooms with great service and it looks like we dropped the ball. For this I am truly sorry. I will share this review with my staff and confirm what actions are needed in order to improve these areas.

We have and will be making every effort to provide all our guests with 100% satisfaction and look forward to you returning to our Inn in the near future.

Truly,

Mtg
Batavia, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2012

I've been to many hotels in and around Columbus, but this one by far is the best one!

The hallway was smelling literally of roses the entire time I was there. No smoke smell except for the last day when the cleaning person came through....for some reason I could faintly smell smoke but it was hardly noticeable.

The pool was lovely, the room was lovely. Marble in the bathroom, fresh smelling linens, clean bathtub, sink and toilet, not a spot anywhere in the room.

In the hallway there was a rather large white stain of some sort a few rooms down from mine, but nothing that got in the way.

TV reception was alright, the TV itself was perfect, SUPER fast internet, was able to watch netflix on my downtime with no problems.

Not too bad of a drive to downtown, whether you go up I-270 to I-70, or you take W Broad all the way to downtown...either way the drive is manageable and you can't go wrong. There's also several COTA bus stops around the hotel so public transportation downtown is good, too.

I've been to several hotels and this one by far is the best one!

Room Tip: the elevator is definitely noticeable but it wasn't hardly used, so if you can, get a room away...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Dear John M.,

Thank you for your great comments about the cleanliness, odor and fast WIFI! We have worked hard to renovate all our bathrooms, exterior of the building and making sure we have great WIFI. Also, fresh fruit to our continental breakfast as well as a new Casino opening up (Oct ’12) within walking distance of the Inn. We are very excited about the positives changes we have made and know we will take great care of you during your next stay with us in the future.

Mtg
Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2012

This was a much needed comfortable stay after some not pleasant experiences at other hotels. Definitely go down the street to W.G. Grinders for a meal!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Furnace_Hunters
i0735, General Manager at Red Roof Inn & Suites Columbus West Broad, responded to this review, June 20, 2012
Dear Furnace_Hunters,

We are so happy that you finally found a place to stay that you enjoyed. No guest should go unhappy at the place they are staying at and I am even more happy that you found the near by restaurants a great place to eat.

Our area is on the upside; there have been constant improvements to the road systems, buildings and traffic making the west side of Columbus pleasant for all visitors to come and enjoy what the city of Columbus has to offer. We hope to see you back soon!
Warren, Ohio, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2012

Fantastic!! Stayed 2 days, couldn't be happier with the stay. Rooms fantastic, clean,updated,breakfast,great. Staff extremely helpful with directions, dinning recommedations, just a overall GREAT experience. Inside and outside of hotel fantastic!!!! Great job, #1 in our book

Room Tip: superior 1 king, great room
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
i0735, Manager at Red Roof Inn & Suites Columbus West Broad, responded to this review, June 20, 2012
Thank You Valerie for taking the time to go and review our hotel. We certainly appreciate guests that go out of their way to take the time and write reviews for other guests to see. On behalf of the staff here, I am certainly happy that you have enjoyed your stay here and that you will be a returning guest. We look forward to seeing you in the near future!
Cleveland, OH
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2012

Stayed one night in April, 2012 - very close to Doctor's Hospital. Stayed based on other positive Trip Advisor reviews and was not disappointed.
I would prefer to stay at a “nicer” chain, but this Red Roof is much better than similar hotels in this star category.

Check in was quick and painless, and I had no need to contact the staff during my stay. Extra amenities in room (coffee maker, fridge, microwave) unusual for a "budget" hotel but a welcome touch. I have stayed at other hotels in this class that were not nearly as nice. I had a very firm pillow which I loved. Breakfast was fine – the eggs and sausage were fairly tasty; also had a bagel. Didn't try the biscuits and gravy. With two queen beds in the room there wasn’t much extra room, but all we wanted was a place to stay the night. I don’t think I’d want to spend a week here, but for a night or two you can’t go wrong.

The only negative is that the hotel is on a busy, divided highway with construction so you'll have to pay attention - it's right off the exit heading south on I-270. You also have to turn around on Broad street to head back to I-270 or go east on Broad St. Typical traffic noise which could bother you if you are a light sleeper.

Also, you might want to request extra shampoo if you have longer hair as the shampoo comes in a packet rather than a bottle.

You'd find these extras and more at a 5 star hotel which would be nicer, but you are not paying those higher prices staying at this Red Roof either. If you want a clean & very affordable room with some bonus extras - I'd say you can't beat this place. Bottom line – I would stay again

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple