“Needs to Be Updated” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in College Corner
Harrison, OH
“Needs to Be Updated”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2011

We went to Hueston Woods after a Miami basketball game for a one night getaway with 2 children. Although I've been to HW before, I was extremely disappointed in the accomodations. The rooms only have double beds, which is archaic. My husband & I each slept with one of the children and the beds were still too small and bouncy. I was still awake at 2:00 a.m. hoping I wasn't going to fall out of bed. The bathroom had a leaky faucet, with old fixtures, sloppy caulking with spaces full of dirt, etc. We enjoyed the pool, but the steps leading to the pool bathroom and the bathrooms themselves are actually kind of gross. The rust and age of it makes it feel dirty. And I have to pay for wireless internet? Why not just charge more and provide it for "free?" I travel quite a bit to national parks, lodges, etc. and I understand the state park experience. However, I will not be staying at this lodge again anytime soon. I'll be heading to the Clifty Inn at Clifty Falls in Indiana instead. C'mon, Xanterra, its 2011. It's time you noticed.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Harrison1154
Xanterra, General Manager at Hueston Woods Lodge and Conference Center, responded to this review, February 4, 2011
Thank you for choosing our lodge and for sharing your review. I understand your assessment of the lodge and guestrooms, and I apologize that we fell short of your expectations. Just to clarify, Hueston Woods Lodge is a state-owned facility. Renovation projects are being completed as state funds allow, and we have made progress in certain areas of the property. We have communicated your concerns with park and state personnel. We appreciate receiving guest feedback so we can celebrate our successes and address our challenges to better serve you in the future.

Tom A.
General Manager/Hueston Woods Lodge

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Springfield, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2011

My husband and I decided to take a quick getaway for my birthday. After reading the reviews on Hueston Woods, I wasn't sure what to expect. However, I was pleasantly surprised. The lodge is very nice. Our room was clean and faced the lake. The food at the lodge was great! We had a wonderful and relaxing weekend. I'm glad we decided to stay at Hueston Woods. We are looking forward to returning when we can better explore the grounds. Great place to stay!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Xanterra, Guest Relations Manager at Hueston Woods Lodge and Conference Center, responded to this review, January 11, 2011
Thank you for your review. We're pleased that you decided to spend your birthday at Hueston Woods and that you enjoyed your stay with us. We hope you can make it back to enjoy the numerous recreational opportunities here, including golfing, hiking, fishing, canoeing and camping.

-Dianne R.
Guest Relations Manager/Ohio State Park Lodges
Greenfield, Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2010

I have been a visitor of Hueston Woods since I was 12 years old. I am now 18 and our sixth trip is rapidly approaching. I do not advise a long trip (>4 days) if planning on staying in Hueston Woods, but for a small extended weekend getaway, it is perfect. The smells and style of the outdoors surround the resort. My traveling group includes adults upwards of 45, to kids around the age of 12. The resort is fun to explore and the surrounding outdoors activities are great family bonding. It may not be an Atlantis vacation resort, but it is a great fall destination for families of all ages who are looking for a fun, warm, tradition starting experience.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Ominee
Plainfield, IN
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2010

Went for a wedding anniversary/golf weekend. Native American decor throughout was somewhat "quaint", but in need of updating. Would have preferred a room with 1 Queen/King bed but had to settle for 2 full beds (romantic?...NOT!). Lack of free internet was a dissapointment (available for a fee). Restaurant was acceptable and overpriced as they all are. Requested their special "beer of the day" only to find out that they were all out. Service/cleanliness was average. At least the weather and golfing was great. The resort was nothing special and certainly no great value.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank wddennis57
Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2010

Clearly some other reviewers expected something else, but the in our opinion the lodge represents a classic setting and it right where it should be in that regard. The rooms are comfortable (balcony and lake view are a must) the food and service are good in the restaurant, the staff attentive. The park is perfect for mild hikes, relaxing campfires or just lounging at any of the benches to take in the view. Go in the fall so the crisp evenings enhance all these experiences. For those that choose to slow down and look, the architecture of the building is stunning as a true timber A-frame. No, it hasn't been updated and shouldn't be. Yes there are a few things that need repair. As a child I remember the fountain in the pool that no longer works, and the gameroom is an outdated concept, but all and all the place is representing it's classic heritige well.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2010

Yes, this is certainly an older lodge and has not been updated in a long time, however the price was good, we had a lakeview room with a balcony, and to be greeted by at least 15 hummingbirds darting on and off the feeders at the entrance was enchanting! It is peaceful and relaxing. Our only issues were the lack of an exhaust fan in the bathroom (very steamy with four people using it), not enough soap and towels at check-in, and the second morning, when we seated ourselves for breakfast after waiting 5 minutes (there was only three tables with people at them, no wait staff to be seen...), we sat at the table five more minutes, then decided to drive into town to eat somewhere else. So... go for the nature, and hopefully the management will attend to the details better. The lounge manager was terrific and friendly, and our need for soap and towels were addressed quickly by housekeeping.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Columbus, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2010

My husband and I wanted to return to visit Miami U for the first time since we graduated 15 years ago. We also brought our 2 children. We purchased the Family Escape Package off the internet. It cost about $130 (w/tax) for a room with two double beds, 20 tokens for the arcade, a DVD rental AND a large pizza. Our expectations were low, and we ended up to have a fabulous time. It surpassed what I had anticipated. The room was clean and spacious. The pizza was great!
In the morning we saw deer and hundreds of Turkey vultures that perched upon the roof tops of the hotel.
Only the indoor pool was open due to weather, and my husband and kids swam, but I did not venture. Did not look too inviting, but they had a ball.
We enjoyed the playgrounds at Hueston Woods and touring Miami U again.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
Courtyard Hamilton
Courtyard Hamilton
#1 of 1 in Hamilton
BEST WESTERN Sycamore Inn

Been to Hueston Woods Lodge and Conference Center? Share your experiences!