I sent the manager of Hueston Woods Lodge the following letter about complaints we had at the restaurant and the cabin on August 25, 2012. He never responded!
September 16, 2012
General Manager, Hueston Woods Resort and Conference Center
Xanterra & Resorts Inc
5201 LODGE RD.
College Corner, Ohio 45003
Dear Mr. Arvan:
My husband attended nearby Miami University in the early 70’s and so we decided to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary at Hueston Woods.
Overall, the people at the lodge did what they could to provide for guests, so no complaints there as they tried to be courteous and helpful. Our expectations were not met by the quality of the food and the less than comfortable cabins and beds.
We rented a cabin and had dinner at the Trailblazer dining room. We both ordered steaks -- a Delmonico steak and a Filet mignon. We were extremely disappointed to find that the steaks were not juicy but instead seemed dry, tough and chewy (not marbled with fat as is more normal for this cut of steak) . For steaks priced at over $30 each, these were certainly not worth the money. The Delmonico steak was even served with cheap frozen crinkle cut French fries. It would have been better if served with steak fries. Next time we would order a baked potato instead (not sure those were available that night).
We couldn’t wait to leave the restaurant and get to the cabin.
Our first impression was that the cabin was cute and practical, but sleeping on the bed was another story. Both of us had the worst sleep we’ve ever had. The bed was so uncomfortable my husband ended up sleeping on the floor, of all things. I tossed and turned the entire night and didn’t get hardly any sleep.
We also think your cabins would benefit by the installation of an overhead café fan to better distribute the air.For one thing the air conditioning unit kept going off and on all night. The window unit cycled on and off through the night so that we were alternately freezing and overheating, causing us to keep waking up to turn the unit on or off. For $169 per night, this should have been a more comfortable experience.
Almost a month has passed and we still feel like this experience could be vastly improved. It wasn’t the experience we expected and we’re still annoyed about it.
We would not be inclined to return or recommend it to others.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hueston Woods Lodge and Conference Center, located in the state park and just five miles from the Miami University of Ohio, is a spacious and comfortable retreat offering modern amenities. The park offers 3,600 acres of family fun! Activities include golf, boating, swimming, fishing, horseback riding, mountain biking, paintball, geocaching and much more. The lodge has 90 guestrooms and two luxury suites. We also offer 25 two-bedroom cottages, 10 couples cottages in the woods and two premier cottages on the lake. Our full-service Trailblazer Dining Room is open seven days a week, 365 days a year. The lodge is a great place for your next business meeting, family reunion or religious retreat. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Priceline, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, getaroom.com and HRS so you can book your Hueston Woods Lodge and Conference Center reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hueston Woods Hotel College Corner
- Hueston Woods Resort Conference Center
- Hueston Woods Lodge And Conference Center Ohio/College Corner