“Family tradition” 5 of 5 bubbles

Hueston Woods Lodge and Conference Center
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in College Corner
“Family tradition”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2011

Our family has been going to HW every summer for over 50 years. We've stayed in the cabins and lodge. It's a great experience. The staff is wonderful. Lots to do for the kids the lodge staff publishes events for the entire week.

• Stayed April 2011
1 Thank Knoppsa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Cincinnati, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2011

My grandchildren ages 6 and 8 year old were very interested in the lodge. They both stopped to take a look at the arrow head display in the gift shop, and viewed the mural of the Indian Squaw Game with great interest. and questions. The stone fireplace and wood furniture and the American Indian design rugs were all a delight to their young fashion sense. The views of the lake are breath taking.
I would think that the Lodge would have an arrow head and a tool display along with pictures or prints of our great American Indians-The Miami and Shawnees just to mention a few. Why not bring more nature items into the lodge. Maybe a large fish tank to show off the lakes fish. or how about a display of the houses and the peoples' history that lived on this property.
The dining area was closed at the time of our visit to get ready for the evening crowd. It would have been nice if it were opened for a quick snack or sweet tooth break. The game room was old and we lost tokens in several of the games. The gift shop sold us an out-dated candy bar-the Hershey bar had an expiration date of February 2011, we ate it anyway.
The smell of the inside pool chemicals were too strong. My grandchildren wanted to
swim but the pool sign stated that the pool was for lodge guest only.
We only live 45 minutes from the park, so we don't need a room. To generate some much needed money for the park perhaps a one day swimming pass fee could help everyone.
Maybe they have this program but we didn't inquire about it.
The nature center was another stop that got great reviews. But what happened to the deer? People were feeding the geese and ducks, and the sailing club from the University were showing off their moves. The kids played on the play ground equipment to end our state park journey, so off we left for Oxford's Mc Donalds.
Then we went to a shop near the Oxford movie theater to paint a bunny for the Easter table, then a trip to Wal Mart to get candy that wasn't out-dated.

• Stayed April 2011
1 Thank msrobin
Columbus, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2011

It is definately a older place and needs updating, but I did read the reviews before I went and realized it is a state owned place and would not be able to get the required updates. We went there for a sporting event we had at the University and it was a pleasant stay. The beds were nice, the linen was comfy and smelled good. The room was ok, been in lots better but have been in worse. The kids went in the pool and enjoyed it. We ate at the restaurant, kinda pricey but decent food. Think we paid 15 bucks for a ceasar salad and cheese sticks, but it was decent. They had a nice lounge for drinks. If you need to check out before 8, plan on getting breakfast somewhere else. They have a coffee shop they advertise they sell starbucksthat opened at 730, it was good but they dont have the proper supplies it seems. They were out of this and that and didnt even have any muffins right when they open, they said they wouldnt have them until later? And the restaurant doesnt open until 8am. So since we were planning on coffee and muffins before we left we had to go without breakfast which can make for a craby review lol Overall it was nice, glad to have been there. Wont go back unless I have to be in the area again and need a place to stay, although might check out other places. But if I found I had to stay there I wouldnt not stay.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Xanterra, General Manager at Hueston Woods Lodge and Conference Center, responded to this review, March 7, 2011
Thanks for your review and for choosing to stay at Hueston Woods while attending your sporting event. I'm pleased to hear that your family enjoyed the visit overall, but do want to apologize for your trouble in rounding up breakfast in the morning. We have since modified our opening procedures to ensure the problems you experienced do not occur again.

Tom A.
General Manager/Hueston Woods Lodge
Harrison, OH
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2011

We went to Hueston Woods after a Miami basketball game for a one night getaway with 2 children. Although I've been to HW before, I was extremely disappointed in the accomodations. The rooms only have double beds, which is archaic. My husband & I each slept with one of the children and the beds were still too small and bouncy. I was still awake at 2:00 a.m. hoping I wasn't going to fall out of bed. The bathroom had a leaky faucet, with old fixtures, sloppy caulking with spaces full of dirt, etc. We enjoyed the pool, but the steps leading to the pool bathroom and the bathrooms themselves are actually kind of gross. The rust and age of it makes it feel dirty. And I have to pay for wireless internet? Why not just charge more and provide it for "free?" I travel quite a bit to national parks, lodges, etc. and I understand the state park experience. However, I will not be staying at this lodge again anytime soon. I'll be heading to the Clifty Inn at Clifty Falls in Indiana instead. C'mon, Xanterra, its 2011. It's time you noticed.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Harrison1154
Xanterra, General Manager at Hueston Woods Lodge and Conference Center, responded to this review, February 4, 2011
Thank you for choosing our lodge and for sharing your review. I understand your assessment of the lodge and guestrooms, and I apologize that we fell short of your expectations. Just to clarify, Hueston Woods Lodge is a state-owned facility. Renovation projects are being completed as state funds allow, and we have made progress in certain areas of the property. We have communicated your concerns with park and state personnel. We appreciate receiving guest feedback so we can celebrate our successes and address our challenges to better serve you in the future.

Tom A.
General Manager/Hueston Woods Lodge
Springfield, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2011

My husband and I decided to take a quick getaway for my birthday. After reading the reviews on Hueston Woods, I wasn't sure what to expect. However, I was pleasantly surprised. The lodge is very nice. Our room was clean and faced the lake. The food at the lodge was great! We had a wonderful and relaxing weekend. I'm glad we decided to stay at Hueston Woods. We are looking forward to returning when we can better explore the grounds. Great place to stay!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Xanterra, Guest Relations Manager at Hueston Woods Lodge and Conference Center, responded to this review, January 11, 2011
Thank you for your review. We're pleased that you decided to spend your birthday at Hueston Woods and that you enjoyed your stay with us. We hope you can make it back to enjoy the numerous recreational opportunities here, including golfing, hiking, fishing, canoeing and camping.

-Dianne R.
Guest Relations Manager/Ohio State Park Lodges
Greenfield, Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2010

I have been a visitor of Hueston Woods since I was 12 years old. I am now 18 and our sixth trip is rapidly approaching. I do not advise a long trip (>4 days) if planning on staying in Hueston Woods, but for a small extended weekend getaway, it is perfect. The smells and style of the outdoors surround the resort. My traveling group includes adults upwards of 45, to kids around the age of 12. The resort is fun to explore and the surrounding outdoors activities are great family bonding. It may not be an Atlantis vacation resort, but it is a great fall destination for families of all ages who are looking for a fun, warm, tradition starting experience.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Ominee
Plainfield, IN
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2010

Went for a wedding anniversary/golf weekend. Native American decor throughout was somewhat "quaint", but in need of updating. Would have preferred a room with 1 Queen/King bed but had to settle for 2 full beds (romantic?...NOT!). Lack of free internet was a dissapointment (available for a fee). Restaurant was acceptable and overpriced as they all are. Requested their special "beer of the day" only to find out that they were all out. Service/cleanliness was average. At least the weather and golfing was great. The resort was nothing special and certainly no great value.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
BEST WESTERN Sycamore Inn
Courtyard Hamilton
Courtyard Hamilton
#1 of 1 in Hamilton

Been to Hueston Woods Lodge and Conference Center? Share your experiences!