“Away from the ordinary”

Calico Cafe & Necessities for the Nest
Ranked #3 of 6 Restaurants in Coldwater
Description: Uncommonly Common Soups, Salads and Sandwiches. Blue Ribbon Winning Desserts and we have the ribbons to prove it. Gourmet Coffees made by our specially trained Baristas. Come on in and see why we are often imitated but never duplicated!
SPRINGFIELD
“Away from the ordinary”
Reviewed September 19, 2011

I was going to be in Coldwater for a few hours and needed a place to work and eat at the sane time. I had a great cup of coffee while enjoying the WiFi. After I finished working I enjoyed soup in a bread bowl.

5 Thank dlmoore

Cincinnati, Ohio
“Great Place for Lunch away from the Lake - HUGE food!”
Reviewed August 26, 2007

My wife heard about Calico Café while searching for side trips around Grand Lake St. Marys in the event of a rainy day during the week we spent there.

Not sure where she found it, but Calico Café was a good find. It is right in the middle of Main Street in downtown Coldwater, just a 10-15 minute drive from the western side of the lake.

I have to say, my hopes were not very high when we first walked it. It is a nice little place that also sells candles and country crafts. My first thought was that this was the kind of place my mom would drag me to as a kid. It didn’t help that I was the only man in a crowded little restaurant.

There were several groups of middle-aged and older ladies having social lunches, laughing and having a good time. Service was friendly and prompt, but I still wasn’t expecting much.

All that changed when the food came. I had ordered a panini melt. It was huge and had ham, turkey, spicy mustard, and bacon. It came with a big portion of chips as well and definitely filled me up. My wife got a chicken salad platter with fruit. This was comprised of a heaping helping of chicken salad in a bowl sprinkled with almonds, and roughly 2 pounds of fruit. She had so much fruit left at the end of the meal, that the leftovers made a side dish for 4 people at lunch the next day.

Prices were reasonable. I believe my sandwich was $7.75 and my wife’s salad was $9.99. A bit more expensive than the places we’d been eating all week, but certainly reasonable considering the portions.

My one big complaint is that like several of the restaurants in the Lake region, they did not serve fountain soft drinks, rather they served cans. This means no free refills. Next time I go I’ll get iced tea so I don’t have to ration my drink. All in all, a great little place that we are sure to return to.

One more thing – although we did not get coffee ourselves, there was a constant stream of visitors to the coffee counter to get gourmet coffee, and it sure smelled good, so I’d guess it is a pretty good brew.

6 Thank Need2TravelMuchMore