“Simple, Clean and Cheap”
Review of Red Roof Inn Clyde

Red Roof Inn Clyde
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Clyde
“Simple, Clean and Cheap”
Reviewed July 9, 2012

My parents, husband and son stayed hear on a quick stop over before heading to Put In Bay. We were amazed how much no frills hotels cost in Sandusky, OH, and just wanted a place to sleep, grab breakfast and get to Put In Bay early. This Red Roof is several miles outside of Sandusky, and would not be ideal for communiting to Cedar Point or the other attractions, but is PERFECT if you need an inexpensive stop before heading to the bigger attractions. The hotel is older but very well maintained. I am a bit of a clean freak when it comes to hotels, and this place was more than adequate. The front desk staff was very friendly and the free breakfast was adequate. While this hotel is a little off the beaten path, its easily accessible to main roads.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank NMJ11
0578K_Ritter, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Clyde, responded to this review, October 12, 2012
Thank you for your kind words you left about our property. We enjoy hearing about any postive experience our guest had at our location. We stive to excel in customer service and provide our guest with clean, affordable rooms. I am very happy that you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again if you travel through the area.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Lake Wales, Florida
Reviewed June 18, 2012

My wife and I are originally from the Clyde area but retired to Florida. There are not a lot of newer hotels in the area. We have stayed at this property before when visiting friends and relatives. It is centrally located for us. This trip was for the wedding of my cousin's daughter. We had a great time and having a solid place to stay helped a lot. The staff was friendly and helpful. The facility was clean and well maintained. The breakfast area was nice in the morning with the usual variety of coffee, juice, cereal, waffles, toast, etc. A TV provided a quick update of current events while eating. There was fresh popcorn in the evening. We didn't use the pool but it looked clean and orderly. The rooms are generous and quiet. Overall, another nice stay.

Room Tip: Rooms on the south side are a little quieter, however, we have stayed on the north side and noise fr...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank sawyerjohn
0578K_Ritter, Manager at Red Roof Inn Clyde, responded to this review, October 5, 2012
Thank you for staying with us while you were in the Clyde Area. We appreciate your comment and look forward to serving your hospitaltity needs in the future.
St.Louis
Reviewed May 7, 2012

This was my first experience with a Red Roof Inn. I stayed for three nights on business. I have stayed in worse places for sure. With that said, I have stayed in much better places! My room had a very dated feel and could definitely use freshening up and remodeling/decorating. Tiled bathroom floor looks pretty funky with dark grout…they should really consider renovating the rooms. Room was moderately clean. I did find several stray hairs in places like the tub area, sink/vanity and one or two on the sheets. Most concerning, however, when I entered my room, not only did the air seem stale, but there was a heavy, damp, mildew odor. After turning on the AC unit, it dissipated somewhat in the bedroom, but the smell lingered in the bathroom. After more inspection, I determined that the odor was from the shower curtain. I went to the front desk and asked if it would be possible for them to replace it with a fresh one. After an hour or so, the employee at the front desk did replace the curtain with a fresher one. Problem initially solved. However, each day when I returned to the room, the air was damp and smelled like mildew. Perhaps the carpets need cleaning.

Room amenities were sparse at best. The vanity and sink were outside the tub/toilet area, which typically is very helpful when multiple guests share a room. However, the vanity area was very small and allowed little room to spread out toiletry items. There was no iron or ironing board in the room and one was not available when I requestedr one. The cubby to hang clothes was quite compact. No luggage rack in the room, just a small carpeted shelf in the clothes cubby. Room included one tiny blister packet of shampoo (like a sample pack) and a couple of small bars of soap. Bare minimum essentials only. Hairdryer in room, but no coffee maker. There was, however, a reasonably large safe in the room, unfortunately, it did not seem to be operational.

The staff did seem reasonably friendly and helpful.

Ironically, there was a cost comparison with other local hotels on the front desk. Yes, RRI was the cheapest, but you can expect to find nicer room amenities at competing hotel chains, like Hampton Inn. For the budget traveler unconcerned with amenities or style, I could recommend RRI if you are in a room that appears clean and fresh. For those accustomed to a higher standard, keep driving.

Overall – out of 10, with 10 being the best place I’ve ever stayed and 1 being the worst, I give the Red Roof Inn, Clyde a 5.

Room Tip: Ask to see, and more importanly, smell your room before final check in.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed March 25, 2012

The parking lot was full, i thought we would never get a room. but was greeted with welcoming hello and friendly smile. room was larger the other redroof i been in, pool was very clean, exercise room freshly painted, breakfast looked nice. i only have coffee, but lots of choices. they did have fresh popcorn popping in the lobby which smelled and tasted great. The check out clerk Karen, was very perky and pleasant offered me a 2012 directory and asked me to stop back. this is now on my list of hotel choices.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed October 5, 2011

I stayed at the Red Roof Inn with some friends after a day at Cedar Point. It was ok, nothing fancy but nothing to complaine about. We ordered pizza and played some drinking games (since there is nothing els to do in this part of Ohio after 8 pm) the staff was nice and the rooms were clean. The rooms were a little outdated but good for what we needed them for. It is a "along the road" kind of hotel, but good for the price!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Cedarville, Ohio
Reviewed August 16, 2011

Being in sales, I've come to learn the value of customer service to be as (if not more) important than then product itself.

I started the process of booking a reservation on August 6th, 2011. I filled out all of the spaces online and hit "next." I immediately STOPPED the transaction on my navigation bar. Apparently the charge still went through - all $147.00 of it. The manager, Karen, is 100% about making money, not customer service. She wouldn't refund a penny of my stay - nor would their regional director. I've filed a complaint with the BBB and am about to approach the FTC.

When doing business becomes a matter of making the most money whenever you can, even at the expense of a customer for life or your reputation, then there's a serious problem.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank JakeDGarrison
0578K_Ritter, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Clyde, responded to this review, August 18, 2011
Dear Mr. JakeDGarrison

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your no show billing issue. I assure you, I take personal interest in customer service and treating each guest fairly. Comment s and suggestions are very serious and personal with each guest issue. We research and evaluate and review the booking process and cancellation policy and circumstance on an individual basis. If you would like to have me research your case again. If you would like to speak about your individual case, please feel free to contact the property or me directly 419-547-6660 or i0578@redroof.com
Red Roof Clyde
Karen Ritter
General Manger
Mt. Sterling, Kentucky
Reviewed August 8, 2011

My husband and I stayed here on a trip to Cedar Point. The room and lobby were very clean and the breakfast offered a lot of choices. The location was convenient to Cedar Point (only about 20-25 minutes away) and there were several restaurants and stores nearby. I liked the firm mattress.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Mrs. MommalovesRoadTrips

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. It was pleasure to see that we made a positive impression on your stay and how that our location is a great option to staying for cedar point and the area attractions. We hope that if you are in the area again, you will consider us for your lodging needs.
Red Roof Clyde
Karen Ritter
General Manger
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clyde
Comfort Inn & Suites
#2 of 2 in Clyde
Quality Inn And Conference Center
Hampton Inn & Suites Fremont
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites North Fremont

Been to Red Roof Inn Clyde? Share your experiences!